Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The people I'm sending picture messages to are not receiving them. Some receive just the text, some receive nothing. Is anyone else having this problem? What's the solution?

I have tried two approaches: (1) attaching a picture via the paperclip icon in the SMS app, and (2) selecting the picture and sending with "Share via MMS." In both cases I'm sending photos taken with the Pre camera.

I originally posted this question in the thread about receiving confirmations for sending pictures ("Sending Picture message"), but figured it deserved its own thread since this is potentially a bug. One person in that thread reported that turning the phone off and on corrected the problem, but it has not corrected my problem (neither by turning off and on, nor by explicitly resetting).

Basically, people I had been successfully sending picture messages to before are no longer receiving them now that I'm using the Pre.

Are the pictures too big? Is there any way to transmit smaller sizes? Are pictures always sent by MMS? Do some phones receive pictures by means other than MMS?

Curiously, one person I sent to had an iPhone. I had not messaged him before, but he did not receive the picture and claimed that the iPhone is unable to receive picture messages. I have trouble believing that.

(For completeness: There is no indication on my phone of a failure to send.)
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Something just occurred to me. I was using a Centro previously. Pictures had always been sent and received as links into the web. Do I no longer have that option? Is it really MMS or nothing for the recipient, now that I have a Pre?
    i have sent pictures.. with good results.. via the paperclip option..
    I've been able to send them just fine. I just don't know where they went, 'cause you're right on, my wife never got them.

I resorted to using email to forward the pics and that worked fine (as expected, as an attachment).
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    sending pictures does take a little extra time but I've sent about 30 of them so far and everyone has received them. Have you rebooted your phone?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wctieman View Post
    sending pictures does take a little extra time but I've sent about 30 of them so far and everyone has received them. Have you rebooted your phone?
    Yes, powered down by holding the on/off button down, and also "reset" via the Device Info app.

I suspect the problem is that I was formerly messaging people by sending URLs and now I'm messaging with MMS. Phones that don't receive MMS won't receive the pictures. Is there anyway to still message the other phones by sending auto-generated URLs, as my Centro used to do? (A guess.)
    I had this problem when I ported over my number. Did you check the "Device Info" screen and verify that the phone number is correct there? I had the wrong phone number programmed in and was able to receive picture messages, but not send. The phone worked completely normal except for sending picture messages and the inability to access Sprint TV.
    i've noticed that the ppl on tmobile (with either a sidekick or a G1 or maybe tmobile in general) aren't receiving the pictures i send them. i have a friend on att and he gets the pictures i send. But when my friend, the one that has a G1, sends me a picture i get it, but she doesn't get the picture that i send her. one friend i have has a sidekick with tmobile and she said that she hasn't received any pics that i sent her. Another friend i have that has sprint gets the pictures that i send her. so i think its just tmobile that isn't RECEIVING pics. of course i could be wrong tho
    I just sent one off without any issues, after never having picture mail in the past, I am liking this Sprint Everything plan. Good luck with you issue!
    I've also attached an email to am SMS message using the paperclip option. The success of this largely depends on whether your receiving party has MMS messaging. If they have an iPhone for example, they won't be able to see it.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    So there is no way to send picture messages to an iphone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs86 View Post
    So there is no way to send picture messages to an iphone?
    To be precise, there is absolutely no way for an iPhone to receive picture messages.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    The ability to have somebody receive a link to a picture message is entirely in the hands of the network that that person is on receiving the message.

For example: Sprint used to do this to their Blackberry users. But after people *****ed about it, they finally enabled the Blackberry service books to allow for MMS. However, the receiving end stayed the same, those users still had to click on the link to get the picture. On the newer Blackberry models 8330m & the Tour now receive pictures directly.

On a side note, I have friends on the other 3 major wireless networks, T-Mobile, Verizon, & AT&T, and every one of them had no trouble receiving MMS pictures from me. It ultimately has to do with the phone your friends have.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Try updating your network settings and prl in phone preferences. My wife could not send picture messages at all. They would never go through and she'd get the ! fail message. I udpated the network settings and prl (not sure which one did the trick) and then she no longer had any issues.
    lol... likely, this one is resolved as the original post is 4 days after launch.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I used to constantly send photos from my Treo. Never ever any issues. Not until I got the Pre. For example, my husband is on AT&T. Every photo taken by the Pre that I attempted to send him was rejected by AT&T's server as too large. I understand this is AT&T's issue, but its my issue too since I am unable to send photos to my husband.

I was thrilled to finally get my flash and larger megapixel camera. Like they say, be careful of what you wish for.
    No issues here. Sending and receiving just fine.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
    Try updating your network settings and prl in phone preferences. My wife could not send picture messages at all. They would never go through and she'd get the ! fail message. I udpated the network settings and prl (not sure which one did the trick) and then she no longer had any issues.
    I can't update either my network settings or my prl. It says if I keep having problems to call Sprint Customer Service. Could this be my problem?