View Poll Results: Do you wish there was a dedicated back button?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Please. Gestures are lame.

4 2.56%
  • Yes, but the gestures are fine instead.

29 18.59%
  • No. But I wouldn't have cared if there was one.

26 16.67%
  • No! Gestures are the way of the future!

97 62.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The gestures are cool and work on the first try most of the time, but doesn't anyone else wish there was a damn back button lol.
    Nope, because a designer who adds one extra button is tempted to add another, and then another, and then another, until you end up with the HTC Mogul, which has something like 459 buttons, switches, and toggles.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    buttons are a waste of screen space.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    There is a back button in the Web Browser... I am really liking the gestures though. I'm really in sync with this phone for some reason. I'm really enjoying it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i actually like the gestures alot more, the first few days it kindda took a while to get used to but now its second nature
    Like gestures instead, just getting used to one-handed operation. Should be fine in a month, just like when I switched back from Graffiti.
    Quote Originally Posted by weboslawyer View Post
    The gestures are cool and work on the first try most of the time, but doesn't anyone else wish there was a damn back button lol.
    I wish someone would tell these phone manufacturers that less buttons is not better. The phone needs a send button, end button, back button, and option button. Throw in a trackball and this phone would rock.
    I like gestures way better then buttons. Say no to buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetThug View Post
    I wish someone would tell these phone manufacturers that less buttons is not better. The phone needs a send button, end button, back button, and option button. Throw in a trackball and this phone would rock.
    But then it would be the G1. Or the Magic.

I wouldn't mind a back button, but I'm getting used to the gestures just fine. And not having the aforementioned 459 buttons of the Mogul or the mess of ugly keys on the bottom of the G1 is well worth a little adjustment, IMO.
    After coming from the Touch Diamond, I am used to a back button, but I am getting used to the gestures. Not too many things I miss from that phone.
    I'on know... I feel like "getting use to" the back gesture is like "getting use to" a rock in your shoe. A back button would be quicker and would work 100% of the time. Why "get use to" anything?
    Less is more. Yes it is tempting to have more buttons but no I don't need back button.

Palm could have still gone with the single button, but instead make it a joystick style or whatever it is called. Where you can push the button in four directions and press it down for click. I wonder why they didn't thick of that ? That or trackball. You still have single button but you can do more!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    actually, I wish they would get rid of redundant buttons. there is no need for the back button in the web browser. it takes up screen space, when you can just use the back gesture.

also, there is no need for the 'launcher' button on the shortcut bar, because a gesture takes care of that as well.

as far as physical buttons are concerned, there is no need for the center button, because the swipe up gesture takes care of that. if the center button would wake the device up, or do somethign else, then I would appreciate it. as of right now, it's just taking up the middle of my gesture area.

edit: a trackball or joystick would have been nice instead of that stupid button that does nothing.
    neathings - neat·things and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetThug View Post
    I have to agree with you that it needs a trackball or 5-way of some sort instead of just the useless center button.

However, I can't agree with any of the other buttons, except maybe having a menu button on the keyboard. There's enough ways to start a call and end a call that send and end are really unnecessary. As an example, have you tried using enter on the keyboard after typing in a number? That automatically dials it. And you can just flick the card off the screen instead of ending it, if that's easier for you. I personally haven't had any issues where the back gesture wasn't recognized after an hour or so on the first day, and I can do it one-handed, so I think after a little practice it should be effortless. But, the menu in the top left can be a little difficult at times to tap on, so I guess if I wanted any button added (besides what I mentioned above) it'd be a menu button.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    actually, I wish they would get rid of redundant buttons. there is no need for the back button in the web browser. it takes up screen space, when you can just use the back gesture.
    Agreed, and it often seems to be in the way of what I'm trying to read.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    The gesture is the back button. No need for one. Gesture works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    But then it would be the G1. Or the Magic.

I wouldn't mind a back button, but I'm getting used to the gestures just fine. And not having the aforementioned 459 buttons of the Mogul or the mess of ugly keys on the bottom of the G1 is well worth a little adjustment, IMO.
    I don't know about you but if the G1 was on Sprint I would hesitate getting a Pre. I find Android more functional than WebOS at the moment.

Now, Android on a Pre form-factor device I can dig.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    Unless you're browsing in landscape mode, when the gesture area becomes the scroll strip. Then you need the on-screen back button.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetThug
    I'on know... I feel like "getting use to" the back gesture is like "getting use to" a rock in your shoe. A back button would be quicker and would work 100% of the time. Why "get use to" anything?
    Well, by that logic, new and innovate devices like the Pre should never be launched, lest they upset the status quo.
    I am actually prepared to put up with a lot of the short comings (bugs and/or missing core features with Exchange and preferences) to use the UI. I LOVE swiping. One thing I would like is quick way to do direction - either on the keyboard or with that button. But I am already getting used to holding down the orange key and moving the cursor with a finger.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I don't know about you but if the G1 was on Sprint I would hesitate getting a Pre. I find Android more functional than WebOS at the moment.

Now, Android on a Pre form-factor device I can dig.
    I have nothing but admiration for Android, but it's just not an OS I'm terribly excited by at the moment. And the G1 is just so unappealing to me -- I tried landscape sliders more than once, and could never find them anything but clunky and awkward. I was dubious at first about the Pre's portrait QWERTY form factor, but after only four days of use, I'm now wondering why more manufacturers don't do it.

Different strokes for different folks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast