View Poll Results: Do you wish there was a dedicated back button?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Please. Gestures are lame.

4 2.56%
  • Yes, but the gestures are fine instead.

29 18.59%
  • No. But I wouldn't have cared if there was one.

26 16.67%
  • No! Gestures are the way of the future!

97 62.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    no, but I'd wish they would get rid of that stupid button and put a d pad.
    If I had to choose a button to have on the Pre, it probably wouldn't be the back-button. It'd probably be a 5-way nav.

Or I'd add a frickin' menu key.

Bottom-line, I think gestures have potential, but they're so labor-intensive as compared to what I can do on my 755p with minimal effort. And with the keyboard extended, it's even more of an effort to jump from gestures at the top to those in the middle to the keys at the bottom.

But y'know, I lovvvvve the larger screen, so I can't complain but so much.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    nope but I do wish there was a 5 way button
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I have nothing but admiration for Android, but it's just not an OS I'm terribly excited by at the moment. And the G1 is just so unappealing to me -- I tried landscape sliders more than once, and could never find them anything but clunky and awkward. I was dubious at first about the Pre's portrait QWERTY form factor, but after only four days of use, I'm now wondering why more manufacturers don't do it.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Yup, I despise landscape sliders. I have always liked the candybar form factor myself, and I feel like the Pre gives me the best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    There is a back button in the Web Browser... I am really liking the gestures though. I'm really in sync with this phone for some reason. I'm really enjoying it.

i love the refresh bottom.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I can't live without a 5 way like on my 755p. That is what has kept me from making the switch.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I actually wish the Pre had a forward gesture in addition to the back gesture.
    Replacing a back button with a gesture is not innovation, it's a waste of muscle energy and a waste of time. I can press a back button 3 times or more in the same time it takes to do a single swipe. I bet ppl start developing pre thumb. lol

Any having more than one way to do an operation is never bad. See File > Print, Cntr-P, and the little printer icon in windows.

A 5-way/dpad would be cool but a trackball would be the truth, Ruth.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    it works on web pages, just nothing else. there is a forward gesture, it's just few programs choose to use it.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    ya I would like that.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    It does, but a lot of applications don't utilize it. As far as I know, only the web browser does.
    I think that the gestures are quite intuitive. I have been getting used to them. I am of the ilk to NOT read the book, rather to play around with the item and get to know it features on my own. I was a bit taken aback when I didnt see a back button anywhere, but then by accident I found the gesture. I am getting used to the phone and thus far, aside from AOL emails not updating consistently, I am pretty impressed with the Pre.
    My only complaint about the gesture area is that I keep swiping it when I don't mean to...with my hand. Anyone else have that problem with the gesture area?
    If there were a back button, I would still use the gesture rather than the button. Waste of space.

There's not room for even a single additional button on the keyboard. Palm couldn't add a Back button unless they eliminated a button that's already there. Which button would you have them replace with the Back button?

Or would you have them eliminate the clean look and add more buttons to the face of the device? Not me.

There are always alternatives and trade-offs. But I'm willing to bet that, if I had a discussion with Palm about any of their design decisions, they would end up convincing me that they made a better choice than I woiuld have. I'll stick with the device as Palm designed it, thank you very much.
    I can tell I am the only experiencing this problem, BUT . . . I am so sick and tired of trying to get the "Back" gesture right. Should I be faster? Slower? Higher? Lower? arrrgh!
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    I can tell I am the only experiencing this problem, BUT . . . I am so sick and tired of trying to get the "Back" gesture right. Should I be faster? Slower? Higher? Lower? arrrgh!
    Do it slightly above the button for best results. Speed hasn't really mattered all that much. And if you have advanced gestures on, you might want to turn them off if you're having issues with back.
    You're under the assumption that everything that is supposedly new and innovative is truly better than the previous model. A d-pad would be so incredibly useful especially when trying to edit text. Was a f'n bear to trim down your quoted text and get to the beginning to actually type.
    Navigation in editable text boxes blows. I can't even get the beginning quote bracket back. It won't let me enter it from the symbol popup. How retarded.

QUOTE=VCI_Cell;1664823]
    Well, by that logic, new and innovate devices like the Pre should never be launched, lest they upset the status quo. [/QUOTE]
    And if they didn't have room to fit another key, maybe they should have taken that into consideration with the overall design, I personally think the curved slider is just stupid over-engineering. A straight slide with a non recessed keyboard would've had better weight distribution, a nicer keyboard and smoother edges. The slightly angled screen doesn't compensate for the negatives the design created.
    I'm not a Pre user but can you use the backspace key on the keyboard as a back button? Works on my 800w in the browsers.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    The back gesture is just as fast as hitting a button IMO. I don't see the need for a button.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast