Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    there are memory leaks and other issues that seem to bog the Pre down....and a nice reboot seems to be the prefect fix for now.
    I've rebooted mine maybe twice since I got it. It doesn't really seem to slow down but when I have nothing better to do I just might do it more often.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    are you using exchange?

quite a few folks are getting the "can't open cards message" a reboot fixes that.
    It would be great if there was an app that reboots at scheduled time.. l used to do this with my Storm everyday at 3:33 AM
    I haven't rebooted mine since the updating mine to 1.0.2. Haven't had problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by gk1118 View Post
    I haven't rebooted mine since the updating mine to 1.0.2. Haven't had problems.
    I haven't really had problems either, and have not rebooted since updating (unless it reboote itself and I didn't know, of course).

I think a reboot at some interval - every few days at least - is probably not a bad idea. Given this is a new OS and it's surely got some memory leakage, a reboot makes sense - at least until a few more patches come out to stabilize any issues (both visible or hidden ones).
    For us grandmothers with our first smart phone, what do you mean my reboot? Turn it totally off and wait for the Palm Logo to come back on?
    ^ Not sure if on this kind of device, a power cycle (turning off then back on) has the same effect as a reset (hold power, cycle mute switch three times). But either one should satisfy the "reboot" requirement.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I def say daily reboot.. More then once I've had it tell me to close cards to free up space, yet I only have two cards open.. Must be memory leaks from 3rd party apps...
    Quote Originally Posted by throwerbev View Post
    For us grandmothers with our first smart phone, what do you mean my reboot? Turn it totally off and wait for the Palm Logo to come back on?
    On keyboard press orange button, Sym button and R button at the same time and it will reboot automatically. Also you can go to launcher, go to Device info, scroll all the way down and choose reset option at bottom and hit green restart button from there.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    On keyboard press orange button, Sym button and R button at the same time and it will reboot automatically. Also you can go to launcher, go to Device info, scroll all the way down and choose reset option at bottom and hit green restart button from there.
    Is there a difference in doing those methods as opposed to hold power, cycle mute switch three times?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I've not had an instance where a reboot was required since I initially bought the phone. I've had up to 11 cards running, 3 of which were webpages.
    Had no problems.
    Had to reboot mine yesterday after "out of memory, can't launch new card" type of error. I have downloaded all the apps and junked most of them after running them once. The only recurring activity I have had is text messages and web browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Is there a difference in doing those methods as opposed to hold power, cycle mute switch three times?
    I dont know technically if its the same thing but t will save one button push (turn on phone again) if you use my steps.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree, that it still needs a reset every day or two because of memory leak issues. But then, my last phone would reboot itself randomly sometimes in the middle of the night, I'd much rather have this.
    I have reset every smartphone I have owned every day or at least every other day. OK, other than a T650, all of those phones were WM....
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    there are memory leaks and other issues that seem to bog the Pre down....and a nice reboot seems to be the prefect fix for now.

Shades of the P-OS Treos!

Has it been only a few short days since people were complaining about Treos resetting all the time?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    thanks!
    when mine froze up yesterday, i could not get any app (including device info) to open, so it's good to know multiple ways to address this.
    Someone sent me a txt with an attachment and i kept freezing had to do a hard reset and pull the battery. Thats the only problem Ive had since the update.ghost armor arrived!
    Today was the first time I had to do a soft reset. As a test, I emailed myself a bunch of large attachments (eg: PDF, Excel, Word files) to see how these would open and save. I was able to open and save most documents except for 1 particular PDF file which was a bus transit map.

Anyway, after successfully downloading several large files, one file was extra large and it froze my Pre, and nothing worked. I pressed down on the power button while simultaneously switching the mute button left and right several times. A few moments later, the word "Palm" appeared on the screen, and glowed several times, and then did a soft reset. Everything worked fine again afterwards. Hopefully, this won't happen too often.

By the way, I was absolutely stunned by the fast, fast speed of my Pre downloading large (eg: 1 and 2 mb files), as well as the fast speed of opening the file, and advancing page after page.

On my old Treo 755p, the download speed and opening speed for viewing PDF files was painfully slow. I mean reaaaaaaally slow!! The Pre speed for downloading and opening large PDF files is very fast! I'm amazed!! The Pre is gooooood stuff!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!