Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been wondering for a while why there are so many biased reports in favour of Apple.

I have been on Seeking Alpha and as I post correction to many wild eyed pro Apple reports I net negative rating. However the anwer was there - many if not all of these pro Apple reports in Seeking Alpha has the disclosure at the bottom

Long Apple

So how can you have an unbiased report. Now many of these tech journalists came from a journalist backgroud rather than from a tech background so many are not rigorous enough in their analysis. Add to this I bet many hold Apple stock and you start painting a picture where unbiased reporting gets thrown out of the window and we have Fox News type reporting where its more opinion and conjecture than any hard hitting analysis.
    Apple is a well known and popular company. Palm has really fallen by the wayside and needs to prove itself in the market again. I personally prefer my Palm to an Apple phone but the iPhones are still incredibly slick and popular devices.

Also remember, people like to choose the popular option. People always make fun of Zune for being unpopular but I have yet to find anything I can't do on my Zune that someone else can do on an iPod. In marketing this is called the "bandwagon appeal".

These guys are in it to drive ratings or page views so they have in interest in being sensational. Just do your best to stay above the marketing and the hype and choose what works for you based on the best bang for the buck.
    I own a iphone 3g running 3.0 and its a heck of a device. Im also really digging my Pre.

What you are seeing is the cult like following of Apple in full gear....people are so brainwashed and emotionally tied to the brand they cant see the forest for the trees.

I laugh at it...its a freaking phone people...
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Let's see:
    - Apple fanboys
    - Apple employees
    - Individuals covertly paid (both directly and indirectly) by apple to spin negative hype.

Take your pick.
    I know that its fashionable to beat up on Apple, and the iPhone. However, I have an entire tech department with iPhones, and they (like the many who've bought the device) marvel at its ease of use, ability to find apps for a huge variety of functions, and their overall reliability.

It's not just fanboy-ism....the iPhone meets the needs of a whole lot of people.

Of course, that being said, I really like my Touch Pro, and have my eye on the Pre.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    because its Palm and not Apple. Everyone loves apple products, at least it seems that way.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    and a forum full of palm fans is going to be a place of clear headed rationality? come on...

I see absolutely no difference between either sides of fans (hardcore ones as least) - both are hyper-sensitive and see barbs everywhere if they exist or not.
    I don't think most people here have a problem with someone who prefers an iPhone (or blackberry, or G1 or anything else for that matter).

What most of use are annoyed at is when someone who doesn't like the Pre decides to come onto a fan forum and bash or post negative hype. What's the point of that? Aren't we allowed to like something other than what they like?

It's quite a bit like when those damn religious people come to my door with their preaching. I'm so glad they are happy with their CHOICE of beliefs, so am I but I keep it to myself and let others live as they want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Let's see:
    - Apple fanboys
    - Apple employees
    - Individuals covertly paid (both directly and indirectly) by apple to spin negative hype.

Take your pick.
    I had the misfortune of riding with two Apple store employees last night. To paraphrase the great Maddox, there is one thing PC users can do that Apple users cannot: shut the f*** up about their Macs

These guys went on and on about iThis and iThat...contemptuous of any other products and rather than salesmen or tech support, they were "Geniuses" and "Creatives".

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    All the reviewers have an iPhone and a terrible AT&T plan they pay for, they have to justify that in the face of an equal product on a better plan.
    iPhone does have wide usership, many of whom are, I'm sure, emotionally attached to their phones,, any attempt to marginalize is preceived as personal attack.. sad..
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I had the misfortune of riding with two Apple store employees last night. To paraphrase the great Maddox, there is one thing PC users can do that Apple users cannot: shut the f*** up about their Macs

These guys went on and on about iThis and iThat...contemptuous of any other products and rather than salesmen or tech support, they were "Geniuses" and "Creatives".

Don't get me started on the 'i---' stuff. I'm a little tired of it. I also do a lot of software development and I'm at least as tired of all the 'j---' stuff for Java. At first it's funny, but the monotony turns into a headache.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    and a forum full of palm fans is going to be a place of clear headed rationality? come on...

I see absolutely no difference between either sides of fans (hardcore ones as least) - both are hyper-sensitive and see barbs everywhere if they exist or not.
    I am talking about the tech websites, business websites etc..

I posted earlier about options trader shorting Palm which caused a drop in Palm price circa 10% and then it recovered when they had to cover their shorts.

Yet for Apple there is no reporting of both pros and cons - its just a steady stream of positive vibes - there is no balance in reporting.

Sure Apple is performing but no one would say that Apple cannot face a downturn in their demand.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I am talking about the tech websites, business websites etc.
    If I went to an apple site, I would find posters complaining that the media would biased against the iphone. Every special interest group perceives bias and that's nothing to do with the iphone/pre but more fundamental human politics to do with self, the other and group identity.
    Last edited by CGK; 06/10/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Never doubt the influence Apple wields now. They have become the Orwellian "1984" nightmare that they claimed to be revolting against in that famous advertisement back in the 1980s (at the time they were basically bashing IBM for the same transgressions). I'm actually surprised none of their competitors have turned it against them. Ya know, big screen with a Steve Jobs impersonator and/or faux-Apple logo being watched by hordes of mindless, spiritless proles, and champion representing [insert competitor here] comes in and smashes the screen...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Never doubt the influence Apple wields now. They have become the Orwellian "1984" nightmare that they claimed to be revolting against in that famous advertisement back in the 1980s (at the time they were basically bashing IBM for the same transgressions). I'm actually surprised none of their competitors have turned it against them. Ya know, big screen with a Steve Jobs impersonator and/or faux-Apple logo being watched by hordes of mindless, spiritless proles, and champion representing [insert competitor here] comes in and smashes the screen...
    Hadn't thought about that, but you are absolutely right man.
    Only IBM was never as controlling as Apple. Nobody with a mac computer can playback BluRay movies because Apple refuses to allow it. Tell me THAT'S not trying to tell you what you can and cannot do.
    They have become the Orwellian "1984" nightmare that they claimed to be revolting against in that famous advertisement back in the 1980s (at the time they were basically bashing IBM for the same transgressions).
    So you're saying Apple today has the same culture as IBM in the 1980s? You're a young one, aren't you?
  19.    #19  
    That's exactly it xGordo - you hit the proverbial nail on the head.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So you're saying Apple today has the same culture as IBM in the 1980s? You're a young one, aren't you?
    Controlling nature where they see their users as saps where they deny them functionality like Rolono mentioned.

They want you to buy their goods but they want to control them. They say this under the auspices of providing a unified user experience but what they are really doing is denying you full use of the device you purchased from them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast