Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    It looks like my screen is cracking on the inside. I can see light bleeding through at all four corners just about 1/8 of an inch outside the screen's viewable area. Lower left is the worst. There is actually a right angle of light viewable.

It's hard to see right now and I didn't notice it until I was in a dark room but now I can see it in the light if I'm looking for it. This sucks!!! I really didn't want to have to return this phone but I've babied the hell out of it!
    This lowest bid china stuff has to stop. First the battery stuff, now a torrent of crack complaints.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    What really sucks is my battery has been good the past couple days. Now the screen....I love this phone, but seriously....it's been 4 days and the screen is cracking on the inside???
    Quote Originally Posted by flushd View Post
    It looks like my screen is cracking on the inside. I can see light bleeding through at all four corners just about 1/8 of an inch outside the screen's viewable area. Lower left is the worst. There is actually a right angle of light viewable.

It's hard to see right now and I didn't notice it until I was in a dark room but now I can see it in the light if I'm looking for it. This sucks!!! I really didn't want to have to return this phone but I've babied the hell out of it!
    man! the same thing is happening to my phone too. Im not sure if its cracking cause i never dropped it. I think it was just that way when i bought it and just noticed it when it was in a dark room, just like you did. this sucks.
  5. Duo
    You guys should probably post again in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nt-pocket.html

to try and keep it all in one place and so everyone can get an idea of the size of the problem and how it was dealt with by Sprint (some have been lucky and others not).

Right now it's looking like a design/production flaw.
    Can you post a pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by monty22001 View Post
    This lowest bid china stuff has to stop. First the battery stuff, now a torrent of crack complaints.
    First of all it's made by the Taiwanese and second of all, it's made by CMCS (part of the "Foxconn Technology Group"). Foxconn is the same company that makes other shoddy "low bid" products like Motorola and Nokia phones as well as Apple Macintosh motherboards and devices such as the iPod Nano and iPhone.
    Its not cracking. Its light leakage...its not harmful to your phone.
    Maybe it is the pressure or places that you are all pressing on the screen to slide it open??
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    First of all it's made by the Taiwanese and second of all, it's made by CMCS (part of the "Foxconn Technology Group"). Foxconn is the same company that makes other shoddy "low bid" products like Motorola and Nokia phones as well as Apple Macintosh motherboards and devices such as the iPod Nano and iPhone.
    Good, then they'll hopefully be up to the challenge of replacing and redesigning the Pre so this won't be a major problem.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post

That doesn't mean a lot, the quality of the device in each case will be determined by contractual concerns and basically how much Palm wants to pay per unit.
    I have this as well. It doesn't bother me too much but it is irratating I guess. I might swap it out later when there are new Pres
  13. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    just make sure you take it back within 30 days! otherwise you cant be guaranteed a new unit
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    It looks like the housing has thin plastic which allows light to go through. IE at the gesture area. Unfortunately the rest of the housing has the same material so when you look at the phone in a dark room, the rest of the housing also allows light to bleed through.
    I'll be going to a Sprint store tomorrow to talk to a rep about this. I'll let everyone know what they say or if there is an official word from sprint or palm on this
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That doesn't mean a lot, the quality of the device in each case will be determined by contractual concerns and basically how much Palm wants to pay per unit.
    Well that was my point. I've seen multiple threads where people blame all Pre issues on the fact that it's supposedly Chinese but it has a lot more to do with the design and the amount of money Palm wanted to (or could afford to) spend. The manufacturers are capable of turning out all levels of quality based on budget.
    I'd take it back. There are always units with QA problems. Use the backup at Palm to restore a new one next week.
    judt take it back for a new one.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    My device is doing the same thing and seems to be getting worse. It looks like the glue (?) or whatever they use to fasten the screen is coming off. I'm also wondering if the heat when charging 104F is making it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    My device is doing the same thing and seems to be getting worse. It looks like the glue (?) or whatever they use to fasten the screen is coming off. I'm also wondering if the heat when charging 104F is making it worse.
    You may have a point here about heat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast