Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As we all know, in their infinite wisdom (really, with the obscene markup on the Touchstone, you'd think they could "splurge" and include a microUSB in the box, but I digress), the Touchstone kit comes with the wall plug only.

This means, when the Touchstone is plugged in to the wall, you cannot use the microUSB cable to synch your Pre to your computer or even charge it on a different location.

With that in mind, I need your help telling me if the following microUSB cables would work on my Pre.
    Since the Touchstone USB port in the rear requires that the microUSB cable have a certain plug size (if it's too big, it won't fit), I'll use the existing microUSB from Palm with the Touchstone and use the new microUSB for USB charging/synching.

Please check them out and let me know.

microUSB car charger, originally for the RAZR2.

micro USB cable
    So you want an aftermarket one to use with the PHONE? I have three form different manufactuers and they all work... I can only assume they were lying to try and get people to buy the stupid palm/sprint branded ones..
    I bought a 15, 6 and 1.5 foot one from mono price 2 days ago. Il have them in Friday. I hope they work ok!
  4.    #4  
    That's my plan too, since they're so cheap.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I've gone to a couple of Sprint stores and all of them say that regular chargers won't work (or at least the ones they've tested). He even showed me by plugging in a wall charger with microUSB. The phone went into demo mode, then started bringing up different apps all on its own without charging the phone.

I'd be curious if that one works. Please let me know.
    I just bought a handful of cables from Monoprice (about a dollar a piece) and three Seidio charge off of TreoCentral...and both TC and Seidio claim that the chargers are compatible with the Pre.

I suppose that full compatibility comes down to these items:

- If you are going to use a Micro USB cable with a PC, then all that you probably need to do is make sure that the cable of decent quality. The PC determines how much juice it sends...and the cable (for the most part) doesn't affect that. Standard USB ports provide 500 mA. The Pre may want more, but that's what it is going to get...with the Palm cable or your aftermarket cable...unless your aftermarket cable is of poor quality. You can get a USB 2.0 Micro USB cable at MonoPrice for ~$1.00.

- If you are going to try to use an aftermarket AC charger with the Touchstone, does its Micro USB end fit into the back of the TS (most do not) and does the charger provide enough juice (the TS needs more than most portable chargers provide). Without enough juice, the TS just won't work. For the moment (i.e., until we start seeing Pre-specific aftermarket chargers), you probably want to use the stock Palm charger with the TS.

- If you are just going to plug an AC charger into the Pre, does it provide enough juice? There is probably more flexibility here than with the TS since it will probably just charge the phone more slowly. That's what happens with a PC connection.

I have to provide accessories for three Pres used by three users...and let's just say that aftermarket is my friend. Of course, if you can wait, Seidio will almost certainly have a line of Pre-specific chargers on the market soon...for a fraction of Palm's prices.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I tried out a generic USB wall wart originally designed for a Ipod with output of 750 maH, works fine with my pre and the original std USB to micro USB cable. As long as the wall converter outputs enough mAH, it will be fine.
    The wall charger that came with my Plantronics headset works fine, it just doesn't start charging right away for some reason.

Additionally, the little USB plug thing that came with my iPhone works just fine with the microUSB cable that came with the same Plantronics headset.

YMMV, as always.
    I have used a Motorola Car Charger, a LG wall charger and microUSB cables from Monoprice, all work fine.
    A microUSB cable is a microUSB cable is a microUSB cable.
    If you want a great micro USB cable for charging and syncing your phone, and you arent worried about plugging said micro USB cable into your touchstone (plug surround is too large) then look no further than Monoprice.com. under 2 dollars per 6 foot micro USB cable. They work great for the Pre. I just received my shipment of 5 cables for under 12 dollars shipped. They also sell car charger - usb port for under 1 dollar. That means you can have a car charger USB port to 6ft micro USB cable for under 3 dollars. This is a no brainer.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1671935
    The guy at the Sprint store sold me an LG branded car charger. It hardly ever works...have to try plugging it in many times for the Pre to recognize and start charging. Not sure what's up w/ that but it's going back. Highly irratating.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I have a collection of mini and micro USB cables I've collected from various devices over the years.

The micro USB cables I have won't fit inside the Pre's usb slot. Am I crazy? The Palm cable's micro end looks flatter. The standard micro USBs won't fit.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    I have a collection of mini and micro USB cables I've collected from various devices over the years.

The micro USB cables I have won't fit inside the Pre's usb slot. Am I crazy? The Palm cable's micro end looks flatter. The standard micro USBs won't fit.

Any thoughts?
    Those are probably mini-usb not micro-usb.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    The touchstone has a square hole that only fits the usb that comes with the phone so how do you get a cable with a square end that will fit into the touchstone receptical ? I've only seen rectangular ends on the micros I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexx View Post
    The touchstone has a square hole that only fits the usb that comes with the phone so how do you get a cable with a square end that will fit into the touchstone receptical ? I've only seen rectangular ends on the micros I have.
    Just takes a little work with a knife and file. It's not that hard, and the cables from monoprice are so cheap that even if you ruin 5 cables before getting it right, it's still cheaper than the Palm cable.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Regular chargers work just fine with the Pre. I have used at least 5 of them.

If you need a MiniUSB to MicroUSB converter I have used part # SKN6252 and it works 100%.

If you need a USB cable I have used part # SKN6238A and it works just great.

Any USB based charger that produces at least 500mA will work though you will need at least 1Ah for a full speed charge. You can pick up any Blackberry charger and the SKN6252 converter cable for a low cost and very high quality home or car charger.

Quote Originally Posted by ucsbleo View Post
    I've gone to a couple of Sprint stores and all of them say that regular chargers won't work (or at least the ones they've tested). He even showed me by plugging in a wall charger with microUSB. The phone went into demo mode, then started bringing up different apps all on its own without charging the phone.

I'd be curious if that one works. Please let me know.
    Thanks for the custom usb advice-didn't occur to me to carve one
    I bought this at Best Buy and it works great. I got it for the adapter.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1199496059678

It has a Mini to Micro USB adapter that will work with any Mini USB cable, data and power. I carry this adapter with me at all times and can use any of the many Mini USB cables that I have around.

It also comes with a short Mini USB cable but this only works for charging, not data. I use this one in the car and it works fine to just charge.
    Last edited by Paladin; 06/12/2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast