Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've always been a fan of BlackBerrys, but between the iPhone and the Palm Pre, they seem to be slacking at the end consumer level. And WebOS just seems so awesome, and I've been reading about how the root image was leaked out the other day, should this raise some security issues eventually?

But to my original question, are there any former BlackBerry users that have made the switch and aren't looking back?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    i had a BB Curve 8330. great device, but lacking on consumer apps. and the ones that are available are usually either expensive or just web launchers. It was a great device and i was happy with it, but the Pre is kinda on a different level. I haven't played with a Bold, Tour or Storm though so i can't comment on those although i've heard all the Storm horror stories.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I only tried out the Storm for about 6 months and hated it. Even used leaked updates that worked better or worse than the officials. So I'm not the best review of Blackberry OS but that Storm was nasty. Love WebOS so far.
  4.    #4  
    Well I currently have the Storm, and had a Curve before that. The Storm though, lately, has been giving me nothing but problems. I've had it since December, but lately I can't stand it. And this is after a replacement, replacement battery, and 2 wipes of the OS.
    Only thing I miss from my Blackberry is Blackberry Messenger. I love the ability to see that people actually received and read my messages.
    I've been a blackberry user for a few years. Switched to the Bold on launch day. LOVED the awesome high res crisp screen. Its a tad bit wide for me but great in the hand. I just got the Pre yesterday and getting used to the keyboard, but the Bold has the best keyboard hands down, and one reason is due to the width. One thing I will miss about the BB is the integration of its email client. I love its shortcut keys. Being able to scroll to an email and hit R to reply instead of opening and then reply is a huge time saver over the course of years. Like everything else, its something I have to get used to. I'm loving the Pre's multimedia functions and WebOS so far. Nothing is perfect, its all about what you're willing to live with. Here's hoping to major updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeWebOS View Post
    ...and I've been reading about how the root image was leaked out the other day, should this raise some security issues eventually?
    Think about his, the source code for linux os distributions is freely available, do you think that because of this it makes any linux os inherently insecure?
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Former Bold owner here. I miss BBM and the apps opened faster.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I own the Storm and the Pre. Had the Storm since launch. Unlike other ppl I've never had a problem with my Storm. Actually it works great for me and I'm a gadget ***** slash techie. If it weren't for the shiddy-azz-I-just-puked-in-my-mouth BB browser I wouldn't have cared about the Pre. Mobile browsing is a top priority for me in case it wasn't obvious.

I'm not 100% sold on the Pre just yet, but I am getting addicted to the OS and the amazing browser. All I need is 1 or 2 solid updates within the next 20-25 days to the Pre which add missing features or fix, say, online mp3 streaming and I'll break contract with the Storm and sell it.
    Love the BlackBerry and was using a Bold until I switched over to the Pre. Unfortunately, I went back to my BlackBerry yesterday and the Pre is going back today. I love the Pre and will definitely be keeping an eye on it. Used the Storm for a very brief period and it sucked.

I think I've realized that the Berry OS is getting tired and a little out dated. But, it's so stable and has all the things I wish the Pre could do. I think the Pre will eventually catch up and get some good updates. I did have some other issues configuring my email but that was the main reason for switching back. WebOS is very very cool.
    Brandon
    OP, Thanks for asking this. I'm coming form Sprints 8330.. But I don't really use BBM, and there isn't much to do on BB's anymore. I hate browsing the web on there too. Also, I'm tired of getting my trackball jacked up everytime.. I can't even scroll up or down now on this one I have. Sad part, this is my 6th replacement Curve..
    I ported from ATT and my Bold. I have to say I do miss the Bold's lightening fast operation and dead simple OS. I also miss the long battery life on the Bold. With the Pre, I feel as if it's going to die quickly, and it's causing me to keep it charged at every moment. Also, the Bold's keyboard is incredible...I'm having trouble with the "sticky" rubberized keyboard on the Pre.

Otherwise, I love the Pre and don't regret my decision to switch. It's less than 4 days old and already feels relatively mature for a brand new OS/etc.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    OP, Thanks for asking this. I'm coming form Sprints 8330.. But I don't really use BBM, and there isn't much to do on BB's anymore. I hate browsing the web on there too. Also, I'm tired of getting my trackball jacked up everytime.. I can't even scroll up or down now on this one I have. Sad part, this is my 6th replacement Curve..
    Yea the web browsing is a huge turn off on BlackBerrys, but I'm also on BBM all the time. I've played with a Pre and it seems very cool, but BlackBerrys are really stable aside from the Storm. Either way I'm just gathering information before making another jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    You gotta pop that sucker off haha.

I've done it twice on my Curve already....crap gets caught under it.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I miss bb messenger a little bit, but I really miss spell check. I have become too dependent on that feature making me look less like a moron.
    I've had the Curve, Bold and 8900. Was playing with my 8900 last night and even though I do like certain features of my BB, I have to admit the biggest feature I use is my calendar for scheduling, and that alone is making me stay with the Pre. I have to use Google calendar to synch it with the Pre, but my work calendar automatically updates every night to google, so I'm good there. For me its all about time management, and it is alot easier on the Pre. I do admit - i am surprised how much i miss BBM, especially considering how much i hated it when I first started using it! Now THAT would be an awesome APP - for the Pre to interact with BBM!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    You gotta pop that sucker off haha.

I've done it twice on my Curve already....crap gets caught under it.
    Oh dude, I've dismantled it.. taken the actual ball out of the rollers, cleaned it, cleaned the rollers, etc.. STILL gets stuck somewhere.

But I'll just get a 8900 black trackball set replacement and drop 'er in the phone. Should be as good as new. Still, I used that argument to get my bill paid for the next 2 months so I can get the pre since I have to buy it retail.
    I miss BBM, and possibly most of all, the double-space trick where you'd get a period and capitalization free for pressing space twice. Other than that, my 8330 is a new paperweight.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    I ported from ATT and my Bold. I have to say I do miss the Bold's lightening fast operation and dead simple OS. I also miss the long battery life on the Bold. With the Pre, I feel as if it's going to die quickly, and it's causing me to keep it charged at every moment. Also, the Bold's keyboard is incredible...I'm having trouble with the "sticky" rubberized keyboard on the Pre.

Otherwise, I love the Pre and don't regret my decision to switch. It's less than 4 days old and already feels relatively mature for a brand new OS/etc.
    I am coming from an ATT Curve, and feel exactly the same way.
    I use a Curve connected to BES as my corporate email device. Works great and its a decent phone too. However, I think Chattermail is a better email client if you don't have BES and I prefer the PIM software on my Centro.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast