Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I am probably going to upset some folk by what I say next and I preface this by saying I know nothing about the person in this article apart from the fact that he is a major investor to Palm but my personal opinion is he would do well to not speak in Public about Palm as he does it not good.

Palm Pre investor McNamee says his dreams have come true - mirror.co.uk

When he says that the iPhone is probably the phone for people who want to play video or music he is potentially turning away customers who may think the Pre can't perform these functions.

So I am sorry Mr Mcnamee but goofs like that mean it would do well if you never spoke again

All of the above is my own opinion and probably unwarranted but I thout I would put it out there as I saw it detracting from the fine effort the many Palm folk have put in and did that effort little justice.

Its bad enough with the competition trying to put negative press out there without someone in the upper echelons of the company doing it !
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I am probably going to upset some folk by what I say next and I preface this by saying I know nothing about the person in this article apart from the fact that he is a major investor to Palm but my personal opinion is he would do well to not speak in Public about Palm as he does it not good.

Palm Pre investor McNamee says his dreams have come true - mirror.co.uk

When he says that the iPhone is probably the phone for people who want to play video or music he is potentially turning away customers who may think the Pre can't perform these functions.

So I am sorry Mr Mcnamee but goofs like that mean it would do well if you never spoke again

All of the above is my own opinion and probably unwarranted but I thout I would put it out there as I saw it detracting from the fine effort the many Palm folk have put in and did that effort little justice.

Its bad enough with the competition trying to put negative press out there without someone in the upper echelons of the company doing it !
    He really should stop saying that kind of thing. (I didn't watch that video, though.) It could have the very effect you're predicting.

Sometimes he seems like their best and worst p.r. asset.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Eh i didn't think that was that bad to say. Made it seem more of the iPhone as "just" being an iPod.

This phone is for people who want to get **** done.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    After working in the corp. world for some time now I've learn that people at that level are positive 110% of the time in public. No matter what, its a positive thing. But, behind closed doors they demand answers yesterday with a gun to the head. It's all about consumer confidence. Remember there are more dumb people out there than smart people.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Remember there are more dumb people out there than smart people.
    It's becoming harder and harder to forget.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Actually I really like listening to that guy, and I think he makes a very good spokesman for Palm and the Pre. His enthusiasm is infectious, and he kind of looks like a software engineer who found his way into the business side of things.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Remember there are more dumb people out there than smart people.
    Someone once told me, "think about how dumb the average person is... well... half of the people are even dumber than that!"
    The dude saved Palm and has done a great job generating excitement for the Pre. I feel he can say whatever he wants. He's a rockstar too!

Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    If anyone has used ATT service then they probably would understand that the Iphone is just an ipod that can make unreliable calls.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Look it matters not a jot if he saved the company if he undoes that by undermining potential customer base.

I have been through enough corporate speaking sessions to know you do not do what he did. The really solid companies control the exact language used as they know whatever is said can be replayed (and often is) time and time again.

He could have said something like ..."the Palm Pre is a compelling media player, it uses Palms mutitasking to the full and will be maintained and updated through our innovative use of the web which is part of the device design. This will enable Palm to respond to user demands as they change to maintain a compelling user experience."

...and not.."If you want to watch movies and play music perhaps an iPod is the best device"!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    It's becoming harder and harder to forget.
    Funny, the older I get, it gets harder and harder to remember.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    The dude saved Palm and has done a great job generating excitement for the Pre. I feel he can say whatever he wants. He's a rockstar too!

Agreed, 100%. I wouldn't have the Pre in my hand right now if it weren't for him.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    ...and not.."If you want to watch movies and play music perhaps an iPod is the best device"!!!!!!!
    If he said "an iPod is the best device" then it was brilliant. If he said, "iPhone," then yes, he could have chosen his words more carefully. But since he has far more than me invested in Palm (something like half a $billion), I think I can let it slip.
    That's certainly very honest of him. Yes the Pre can function as a media player but not as well as an iPod. It doesn't have as much storage, won't play Apple DRM files and won't integrate as well to many cars (e.g. a BMW with IDrive and the iPod adapter).
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    @as147
    I think you're reading into his comments a bit too much. I took his point to mean, "if you only want to listen to music or watch videos, then the iPhone is for you. If you only want corporate email, then the BB is for you. If you want both than the Pre is your device."

He's made that type of comment many times in the past in front of the media. It's refreshing to see a spokesperson not give the usual canned response of, "our product is the best product ever, and the other ones are inferior." He's honest and complimentary of the competition, which makes him seem more believable.

It's a shame there aren't more C-level types who speak like McNamee does instead of doing what corporate speaking sessions probably teach.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I have to agree with all of you that I have read too much into this. I have spent the last 30 minutes googling him, wtaching his videos and understand a bit more of the man. He is a passionate person and is a real living face for Palm, an asset. So he is certainly allowed the odd dropped ball. However re-reading the article I have to agree he probably didn't drop the ball I though he had.

Please accept my apologies and keep rocking Mr McNamee
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Plus, he has a cool utility belt!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    He's fun, but he does say dumb things sometimes.
    Yeah, remember when he described his concept of "synergy" where the phone detects via location services that you're going to be late for your meeting and automatically sends email or SMS to the other people in the meeting informing them of that? Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see anything on the Pre that would let me set up that kind of thing.
    hmmmmmn so if iphone is for people who want to listen to music and play videos and Pre is not for real business users, who exactly is the Pre for? "scientists"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast