Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I love my pre, but the battery??

Here is my situation...I have one charger, a touchstone, sitting at work. All day I keep my pre on the charger just because I think it is cool

The last few days, I come home, make a phone call or two...the battery says it is about 50%...odd, but ok.

I wake up the next morning, it is completely dead. Can't turn it on dead....

Now unless there are some pixies coming in and having all night pandora parties while I am sleeping, no one is using the phone at all.

Why is it dead? The wifi is on, but it isn't being used, the phone is in standby mode, no apps are doing anything.

So basically the phone is a brick until I get to work and throw it back on the touchstone. What I can gather is that it has a life of about 5 hours, even if I don't do anything with it.

I have read all the tips, and they are great, but seriously...no phone should die overnight when it isn't being used.

I love my pre and I don't like whining, but this is craziness.

David
    Same problem the first night. Went to Sprint and they told me not to use WiFi. Ok?

Deleted all the instant messaging accounts and that seemed to help. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me delete them until I realized you have to first log out.

As of now, it seems like you can't use the full capabilities of the phone and keep the battery charged until they fix some stuff.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    updates will come i got a couple centro batteries to get me through the day.
    I would recommend charging it overnight a few times - my Pre's battery gets better each day. On my first day with it I was getting about 3-4 hours of battery life per charge. Yesterday, after 3 days of good overnight charging, I got 11 hours out of it (With heavy use.) Today is looking even better - I've been on the phone/managing email and web stuff for three hours this morning, and I'm still in the high 80% on battery level.

Edit: I should note that my 11 hour cycle is with the IM clients active, and Wifi/GPS enabled.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    1. Log out of any IM accounts.
    2. Wifi drains less power than the radio when it's in use. When in standby, it turns off. Disable it if you know you won't be using it for awhile.
    3. Turn your screen brightness all the way down (this seems to have a much bigger impact than it should).

My phone BARELY drains when in standby mode right now. It would last quite awhile.
    a few things.. you must "season" your battery

Poor Reception in house = Phone works really hard to get a signal and drain battery.

Hotmail = dead battery.. something is up with hotmail that the phone keeps pinging it or constantly connecting to it. get rid of it... or open a gmail account and there is a "hotmail porting" feature.

Also.. let your phone almost go to dead... then put it on the USB charger (NOT touchstone) and let it fully charge overnight. Do that for a few nights..

with wi_fi on ALL DAY in my house and the phone just sitting there... from 8am to 11pm i had 47% battery with mild use.. Wi-Fi doesn't eat the battery that bad. Again that was on a sunday with very little use.

This is how these batteries are now... My blackberry storm only lasted a few hours at first.. and i learned this the hard way. If you it alot it will drain the battery pretty quickly, all smartphones are like that now.. Same with my Blackberry Storm.. if i just read emails and take a few calls.. it will last 2 days with little use.
    As someone searching for thier Pre these threads are very troubling. Most troubling though is the vast discrepencies on battery life. Some people claim 12 hours off the charger and still showing 80% battery while others say their phone completely discharges in four hours with no use?!?!?!

Specs say 5 hours of talk time which would be on par with most smartphones but with these variations how can any body be sure????
    It seems clear that a Centro battery will work on the Pre. Will any micro-USB car / wall charger work? I have a couple laying around for other phones, and was curious.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Blackberry Storm had similar issues.. alot came down to seasoning the battery, and some came to OS tweaking.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I ran my phone from 8:00am to 11m with WiFi off, BT on, played with it most of the day, about an hour of phone calls, dozen or so msgs, manually fetched email from my 3 accoutns a few times.

It started with a full charge and when I went to bed it was at 40%. I'm pretty happy with it.
  11.    #11  
    Great suggestions y'all...I will do my best to season the battery, but that still gets a hardy WTF from me.

Right now I am at work and I have it plugged into the charger directly rather than my touchstone. Hopefully that will help it out a bit...

David
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Its just the way these modern phones are. My iphone would drain just as fast..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdc5 View Post
    Its just the way these modern phones are. My iphone would drain just as fast..
    A fast as what? Post #1 or #10?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I would recommend charging it overnight a few times - my Pre's battery gets better each day. On my first day with it I was getting about 3-4 hours of battery life per charge. Yesterday, after 3 days of good overnight charging, I got 11 hours out of it (With heavy use.) Today is looking even better
    Same here - on the first day i was very worried about the battery life, but now after 3 days (2 all night charges through the cable and one on the touchstone) the battery life has improved drastically!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It seems clear that a Centro battery will work on the Pre. Will any micro-USB car / wall charger work? I have a couple laying around for other phones, and was curious.
    they should. ive used the palm chargers from my 800w on the pre as well as a cheapie walmart car charger and a samsung microusb charger. all have charged the battery just fine.
    700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    I had Gmail set to 15 min. I changed it to push and it seems to save battery since I dont get that many emails.

I also signed off from AIM and the battery was a lot better, like 2 times better.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I have disabled every form of communication the Pre is capable of and STILL experienced a significant drain on the battery.

Two nights ago, I left it with only the phone radio enabled, and it drained 20% in about 6 hours. That was with no chat account, no email account, GPS off, wi-fi off, and the phone completely idle while I slept. I charged it up to 100% in the morning, then used it moderately at work--still with no chat or email account, no GPS, no wi-fi--and it died in less than 6 hours.

Last night uninstalled what few Apps I had loaded (still no chat, IM, GPS, wi-fi), rebooted it, and left it in airplane mode and idle for about 6 hours again while I slept, and it still drained 12%.

Since I ran out of stuff to disable, I went through the hardware settings and found a Light Sensor test: Go to Device Info / More Info, then touch Preferences in the upper left corner, then Interactive Tests / Screen, you will find a series of screen tests. The fourth test is for a light sensor--which I'm not even convinced my Pre has... it definitely failed this test if it does have one.

I'm wondering if those of us with atrocious battery life might all have Pres with faulty light sensors...?

Does your Pre pass this test? If so, how is your battery performance?
    (same question if your Pre fails the test as mine does)
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    I have disabled every form of communication the Pre is capable of and STILL experienced a significant drain on the battery.

Two nights ago, I left it with only the phone radio enabled, and it drained 20% in about 6 hours. That was with no chat account, no email account, GPS off, wi-fi off, and the phone completely idle while I slept. I charged it up to 100% in the morning, then used it moderately at work--still with no chat or email account, no GPS, no wi-fi--and it died in less than 6 hours.

Last night uninstalled what few Apps I had loaded (still no chat, IM, GPS, wi-fi), rebooted it, and left it in airplane mode and idle for about 6 hours again while I slept, and it still drained 12%.

Since I ran out of stuff to disable, I went through the hardware settings and found a Light Sensor test: Go to Device Info / More Info, then touch Preferences in the upper left corner, then Interactive Tests / Screen, you will find a series of screen tests. The fourth test is for a light sensor--which I'm not even convinced my Pre has... it definitely failed this test if it does have one.

I'm wondering if those of us with atrocious battery life might all have Pres with faulty light sensors...?

I was unaware of these tests until now, so thank you. This may be a good thread starter to find out if you may be onto something. *shrug*
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    I pass the test and my battery is terrible just like yours, so I don't think it is related
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deltatko View Post
    I pass the test and my battery is terrible just like yours, so I don't think it is related
    For the record, my light sensor works too, but only in direct sunlight. I was testing it inside under a fluorescent when it failed the light sensor test.

Also, my battery life improved drastically when I turned the brightness all the way down. This isn't a problem, though, because I can see the screen clearly even in direct sunlight--thanks to the light sensor, I guess.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast