1.    #1  
    I have been a Palm addict since the Palm Pilot. I have lots of contacts, calendar, memos and tasks. I LOVE the Pre and the more I use it the better l like it and understand its features. But not being able to sync all four of my PIMS is very disappointing and frustrating. I am sure a 3rd party app will be available. I just wish it was available now. The old Palm calendar (or Datebk) was SO much easier to use. Has anyone tried the emulator for Datebk? Or old memo/task apps?
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    The old Palm calendar (or Datebk) was SO much easier to use. Has anyone tried the emulator for Datebk? Or old memo/task apps?
    Datebk runs under the Classic emulator, but is currently not much use:

Classic 1.0 has no sound, so you can't hear reminders or alarms.
    To get those reminders at all, you have to leave Classic running. On my Pre Classic won't run more than two hours or so before it crashes or locks up.

Hopefully both of these will be fixed in the next update of Classic, because the Pre calendar is no where close to DateBk in functionality.

The DateBk developer is working on a new app called Pimlical, but he's not aiming it at the Pre at this time. So we're going to have to depend on the emulator, or hope for a new contender to arise...
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    You also can't Hotsync with Classic making PIM software almost useless.
    I strongly agree. I find it very difficult to live with Palm's decision against syncing Memos and Tasks. I use tasks often and rely on Memos heavily. I must have a backup (sync) solution for both.

I have been in contact with CESD regarding development plans to bring DateBk to WebOS, and offer a local desktop sync solution with Pimlical. He suggested time and investigation were needed, along with more programming information on Palm's part for him to begin.

I am reading much of the forum posts regarding 3rd party options (e.g.: Mozilla Thunderbird and Lightning, Google options, etc.), but none offer a complete solution for Calendar, Contacts, Memos & Tasks (either online or local).

Seems like Chapura will be offering a local sync solution with an updated PocketMirror version. I personally dislike Outlook, but will at least evaluate it.

Also, MarkSpace seems to be working on a MissingSync version, but I'm not sure which desktop app it supports (Palm Desktop?).
    I was afraid of this. Bummer. Thanks for the info. (Don't have my Pre, yet. Been traveling and will get it when I return home.)
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You also can't Hotsync with Classic making PIM software almost useless.
    Well, in my case that isn't a big issue. I didn't sync my 700p with anything, just backed it up.

Backup is going to be a big problem on the Pre, though. No SD card, and I don't know if there's any way to write a comprehensive backup app under the restrictions of WebOS. So you're left with relying on each application to back up their data somewhere.

I'd love to see Palm allow deeper access to Resco or someone to make a 'full backup of device to usb' application. Or possibly to cloud storage, if you could secure it enough.

At the moment, assuming they get Classic working, I'll be using Resco backup there to back data to the simulated SD card, then copying it off via USB. But that's a really kludgey solution for a modern device!
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    I would have to agree with the OP. When reading about how great Synergy would be as far as allowing integration of personal contacts, email, etc I really thought it would also include what I needed to improve management of my tasks and memos too! To compensate until an app comes out of done 2 things:

--set my google cal to email me my daily agenda
    --opened the task and calender cards both on my screen minimized for quick reference throughout the day