1.    #1  
    I made the mistake of buying my Pre at a non-corporate store that is a bit of a distance away and having a desire to exchange for a new one. I have discovered a couple stuck pixels and a strange plasticky click that happens when pinching the top left corner of the phone.

As it stands, I am flip-flopping between dealing with these defects and driving the distance to get a new one. My predicament is as follows:

The store claims to be sold out quite frequently... what if this keeps happening until the 30 day limit? Am I even going to be able to feasibly get an exchange? (My other option here I guess is to just return it and purchase a new one later closer to home).

What if the Pre I exchange for happens to be in worse out of the box condition than the one I have already?

What would you do; deal with the stuck pixels, play the waiting game for the non-corporate store to get some in stock, or just return it and get another later?

I love the phone, but these silly problems are just eating at me.
    I am little anal about stuck and dead pixels, especially on a screen the size of the Pre's...I would probably do it, but to the unwashed tech masses out there it might seem crazy.
    Sprint Palm Pre....greatest Sprint phone ever created.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The question should probably answer itself but, no. Either have Sprint ship you out a new one or just wait until you can have your swapped.
    I had an issue where my earpeice kept cutting out and when I went into the sprint store they said that they put replacements above the waitlist so when they got another shipment the next day I got the first one! Just ask them if they do this.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have 2 dead pixels, will they just swap it out if they have one in stock?
  6. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    you can always just call customer service and explain them your situation..although im not sure what they'll do since you bought it at a non corp store. but there are pres set aside in the warehouse for replacement
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Heres my answer.

If it annoys you to see them...then do it.

If it doesn't....do you want to risk getting a Pre that may have another issue?

Dead/stuck pixels are just a fact of the technology. My first LCD tv that I paid damn near $2500 had 1 stuck pixel that I noticed one day. At first i got annoyed, but then realized I could NEVER see it unless right in front of the screen and looking for it.

My friends Pre has 2 stuck pixels that i only noticed when the phone was starting up on the solid black screen. I didn't even tell him cause he didn't need to get upset about it if he didn't notice. If you see it more often than that, then I would say swap it if it makes you feel better.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Heres my answer.

If it annoys you to see them...then do it.

If it doesn't....do you want to risk getting a Pre that may have another issue?

Dead/stuck pixels are just a fact of the technology. My first LCD tv that I paid damn near $2500 had 1 stuck pixel that I noticed one day. At first i got annoyed, but then realized I could NEVER see it unless right in front of the screen and looking for it.

My friends Pre has 2 stuck pixels that i only noticed when the phone was starting up on the solid black screen. I didn't even tell him cause he didn't need to get upset about it if he didn't notice. If you see it more often than that, then I would say swap it if it makes you feel better.
    That's pretty cool of you to not tell him... I was fine until I started reading posts about stuck pixels. Now that I've read about them, I've noticed three stuck pixels. And like you said, they're unnoticeable under almost all conditions. Only on the start up screen. I can't even see them when I do the screen diagnostic tests. I wish I had somehow missed the posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    That's pretty cool of you to not tell him... I was fine until I started reading posts about stuck pixels. Now that I've read about them, I've noticed three stuck pixels. And like you said, they're unnoticeable under almost all conditions. Only on the start up screen. I can't even see them when I do the screen diagnostic tests. I wish I had somehow missed the posts.
    I probably won't unless I can see them easily and all the time.

Im kinda perfectionist, but I have learn to tolerate, since risks of different kind are always there. Especially, if I couldn't see it, I probably will not bother.

But hey, you have 30 days, I suspect if you want, you can get it swapped before 30 days run out.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    But hey, you have 30 days, I suspect if you want, you can get it swapped before 30 days run out.
    Yeah, I'm weighing the option... other than this and some other minor issues, my phone's been pretty good. No signal issues, no resets and my battery can sit from 11PM to 7AM with EAS on push and lose only 5% battery.

I'm afraid I'll be exchanging an unit with minor mostly unnoticeable problems for one with noticeable ones.
    I have 4-5 frozen pixels and a separate grouping of what looks like 2-4 frozen pixels unfortunately.
    There is actually a standard as to how many dead pixels are allowed on certain size devices. It's the nature of the technology. Although I admit, I did replace my 24 inch monitor because there was 1 dead pixel in a fairly annoying spot, but that was through Dell who generally have great customer support. It's hit or miss whether Sprint would let you replace it, and I'm not sure what the industry standard is on LCD's the size of the Pre's.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I just exchanged my launch-day Pre for a new one due to about 3 dead pixels. Taking a close look at my new one, I've identified at least 2 dead pixels and I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet if 99.9% of Pre buyers were to take a close, honest look at their Pre display, particularly when just booting up, they would notice at least 1 dead pixel if not more.

So take it from me, someone who has already exchanged - I've decided to just accept the tiny imperfections of dead pixels and do my best to not let it bother me. Such is life and the Pre
  14.    #14  
    I underwent a similar ordeal (minus the long distance factor) with my MacBook Pro. There were about two glaringly obvious stuck pixels on the screen. I exchanged it with difficulty (they claimed to be doing me a "favor" instead of charging me a restocking fee).

So instead, I got a new one with one stuck pixel and questionable latch mechanism that was a little too easy to unhook... and now a year later I have accrued about three dead pixels (at least the latch has worn in and works somewhat properly now). The one stuck pixel is fortunately only visible at a funny angle and is not so bright as the original one was.

I guess I may take this as a lesson and just live with what I have... The possibility of winding up with a worse problem is a serious detractor from trying. Come the 30 day deadline, I'll try to remember to update this thread as to what I decided to do. I thank you all for your input!
    Last edited by maskedferret; 06/10/2009 at 08:50 PM.
    I called my Sprint store and they put my name on a waiting list for an exchange. However, they put me at the top of the list; ahead of people who were buying a Pre for the first time. The next day they called to tell me my Pre had arrived and they would hold it for the day for me. Worked out pretty well.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ken@weboshelp.net View Post
    I called my Sprint store and they put my name on a waiting list for an exchange. However, they put me at the top of the list; ahead of people who were buying a Pre for the first time. The next day they called to tell me my Pre had arrived and they would hold it for the day for me. Worked out pretty well.
    Was this a non-corporate store? Also, what did you say your reason(s) for exchange was(were)?