Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    - migration from your previous Palm phone (any of them). There is no real way to work with your PIM information in the way you are use to on ANY of the previous Palm devises. Argue but it's just not the topography of Palm today.

- any Microsoft product (namely Outlook). Palm has abandoned Outlook and most of the non corporate Exchange, POP3 world for Gmail. Good for Google, bad for everyone else. This includes Outlook calendar, to do notes, contact list, etc.

- text messaging in any semblance of how the rest of the world works with simple texting. It's not there. Hell, it's not anywhere. Yes, this is a new operating system but ****, my nanny and my kids know, texting is the new way all America communicates. Just try to find texts that have been sent to you much less delete (purge) them in any way other then one at a time (really?). I can go on and on on this one but it's been well traveled in other threads.

- one handed anything. That **** is over. There is no denying the screen is VERY cool, the feel is cool, the flip thing is cool but, it can't be one-handed. The OS "might" be cool one day. Coming from someone that ALPHA and BETA tested Microsoft beginning with the first Graphic User Interface OS and most of the Office products up to Win 98, I get it, really, I know it's hard to come out with something new and shiny. ****, Microsoft deserves to be taken down a notch or two but to abandon the install base is crazy. No migration path - stupid.

- using the phone for more then half a day. Seriously, the battery life is a show stopper.

- an SD card option. Any card, any size. Not there. Palm is forcing ALL user to adopt the online model. iPhone strategy? Seems silly to me. Why not both? Why not an option? If you want to add music to your Pre, it's no longer as easy as popping out your SD card, adding another tune to it and popping it back in. Now your are FORCED to use iTunes or some other Net method OR click, click, click, click using Wi-Fi.

I've come up from the ranks of ALL major Treo (Palm) devices. I think Trip Hawkins might be a lesser god.

Having read a ton of the the other threads, I'm fully prepared to keep my 680 fully juiced and on stand by and give the Pre at least two weeks BUT, this very cool looking device will go back unless Palm makes some effort to address some of these issues SOON.

With great respect for a company (and founder) that changed the personal information device world, I was expecting an easier change over.

We are all early adopters on this site and the sins of that curse follow us to our graves. I can't say enough about how glad I am Palm is still around but this is a 19 month disappointment. I needed more or an interim step. I cross my fingers for their healthy future - truly.

Patrick Graham

EDIT: (After seeing some responses) OK, just so you know, I'm not sitting around and complaining they everything the same should remain the same. I'm going to spend the next couple weeks trying to see if I can adjust my desktop life into this frame work. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would make me happier. And just so you know, I'm 45 and can't await for the latest electronic gadget to distract me from my daily grind.

Don't hate me because I'm looking for a reasonable migration path.
    Last edited by PF Graham; 06/10/2009 at 01:56 AM.
    -you can delete conversations at a time.. you don't have to just delete single texts...just swipe to the left/right
    -I use this phone just fine one handed unless I am trying to type or something
    Trying not to make rude comments here, but it's kind of difficult... You can't figure out how to text message? That's just ridiculous. Delete an entire conversation of text messages is a little more ridiculous, but just toss it off the side. Meanwhile it seems at least half of the users have no problems with Exchange, and Palm working on a fix for the other half. Sure, it sucks if you're one of the ones it isn't working for, but that's much different from saying they don't support Microsoft products at all. Outlook sync is possible with third party apps if you need it badly enough. The only things that can't be done one-handed are text selection and copy and paste.

And if you're talking about Palm and claiming to have great respect for the company and founder, maybe you should try getting the name right. Its Jeff Hawkins, Trip Hawkins worked for Apple.

If you don't like the device that's fine, but at least half of what you said in your post is entirely false.
    Patrick, I'm glad you really enjoy your 680, and I agree with all your points, save one. I just got a good 14 hours of battery life out of my Pre. I wasn't trying to conserve either, replied to an email before I left home, changed my wallpaper like 4 times. Showed it off to 3 more people in the office that hadn't seen it yet, stayed on wi-fi and bluetooth ALL day, left the gps active for the last 4 hours, played a few rounds with the new Lumosity game, checked my battery percentage left at least 3 times an hour, and made a few short phone calls. By the time I got home to put it on my bedside touchstone, I had 24% left.

I didn't have any trouble receiving a text message, but my texting has been pretty quiet lately. It's true that syncing to a desktop is not the Palm of today, it's the Palm of yesterday. The Pre is the Palm of tomorrow, where it's indeed a replacement for your desktop computer. In fact if I didn't have a bunch of friends on MSN and Yahoo! messengers, I could do all my chatting on the Pre. In the end there are ways to do what you want to do if you were willing to undo your "Palm of Yore" paradigm and move forward. Seriously, no offense, but you must unlearn what you've learned. The Pre is a little weird for iPhone users, I know because I showed it two two of them in the last few days, but someone who doesn't have a smart phone didn't have any problems making use of the interface and leaving me a message in the notes application that I didn't see until hours later.

You posted here probably not as a cry for help, but as a tale of frustration. I say look around for solutions, or ask around. The Sprint store has an advocate who probably has free time now and would be willing to answer questions, I know the one who helped me at 8am after waiting in line for 12 hours was very cool. I know you're stuck on the PIM software, but sync it to Google, then it will auto load onto the Pre. Try entering your POP3 server info into the Pre and see if you can get your non-google mail. In the end, don't give up on your old friend Palm. Sure they skipped a few levels in their jump from Treo to Pre, but fortunately they haven't given up on their oldest asset, innovation.

In the end, if you leave, I really only have one question for you which is leftover from my gaming days. Can I have your stuff?
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Seanblader- you got 14 hours out of your Pre? I haven't been able to get more than 5 hours out of mine. I literally took it off the charger at 8:00 this morning, and it had 24% at 1:30. I've had to leave it plugged in most of the day. Mine may be defective though, if you're getting 14 hours on similar use.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    - one handed anything. That **** is over. There is no denying the screen is VERY cool, the feel is cool, the flip thing is cool but, it can't be one-handed.
    What smart phone today CAN be operated one handedly? This isn't your Motorola StarTAC.

- using the phone for more then half a day. Seriously, the battery life is a show stopper.
    Used mine as a phone all day today. Mind you I didn't do much in the way of apps -- I was at work. Working. Got home was +85% batt.

Why not an option?

Now your are FORCED to use iTunes or some other Net method OR click, click, click, click using Wi-Fi.
    First point, agreed.

Second point, you can plug in, open folder in USB mode (1 click) and then drag & drop. How hard is this? It's 2009. Join us, please.

I've come up from the ranks of ALL major Treo (Palm) devices. I'm fully prepared to keep my 680 fully juiced and on stand by and give the Pre at least two weeks BUT, this very cool <snip>
    Return it now. Go back. Sprint couldn't afford to sell the device to you. It's gunna be more than two weeks. With regression testing and the like, unless there were a show stopping bug.

We are all early adopters on this site and the sins of that curse follow us to our graves.
    Please don't speak for me. I am capable of talking for myself. I love this device. I love it for it's potential and it's design. It's not perfect, no man can create a perfect item (because man is imperfect).
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    My response is in red

- migration from your previous Palm phone (any of them). There is no real way to work with your PIM information in the way you are use to on ANY of the previous Palm devises. Argue but it's just not the topography of Palm today.

I migrated from my Blackberry just fine.

- any Microsoft product (namely Outlook). Palm has abandoned Outlook and most of the non corporate Exchange, POP3 world for Gmail. Good for Google, bad for everyone else. This includes Outlook calendar, to do notes, contact list, etc.

Third party solutions are in the pipeline for desktop sync to Outlook. The phone has been out for 4 days. Be patient.

- text messaging in any semblance of how the rest of the world works with simple texting. It's not there. Hell, it's not anywhere. Yes, this is a new operating system but ****, my nanny and my kids know, texting is the new way all America communicates. Just try to find texts that have been sent to you much less delete (purge) them in any way other then one at a time (really?). I can go on and on on this one but it's been well traveled in other threads.

Back in my home theater days we had an acronym: "RTFM". The first two words are Read The, and the last word is Manual. You do the math. Deleting entire threads is simple.

- one handed anything. That **** is over. There is no denying the screen is VERY cool, the feel is cool, the flip thing is cool but, it can't be one-handed. The OS "might" be cool one day. Coming from someone that ALPHA and BETA tested Microsoft beginning with the first Graphic User Interface OS and most of the Office products up to Win 98, I get it, really, I know it's hard to come out with something new and shiny. ****, Microsoft deserves to be taken down a notch or two but to abandon the install base is crazy. No migration path - stupid.

Most tasks that don't require heavy text entry can be done one handed. If you're hammering out an email, wouldn't you be using the device two handed?

I can't disagree with you on this one (aside from the show stopper part).

- an SD card option. Any card, any size. Not there. Palm is forcing ALL user to adopt the online model. iPhone strategy? Seems silly to me. Why not both? Why not an option? If you want to add music to your Pre, it's no longer as easy as popping out your SD card, adding another tune to it and popping it back in. Now your are FORCED to use iTunes or some other Net method OR click, click, click, click using Wi-Fi.

Get over it. Media sync is simple, either by USB drag-and-drop, or iTunes sync. No, really, it's that simple.

Patrick Graham
    With some common sense and some patience, I'm confident that you'll come to enjoy this phone/platform as much as many others here have.

Good luck!
  8. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post

With some common sense and some patience, I'm confident that you'll come to enjoy this phone/platform as much as many others here have.

Good luck!
    I was going to make a long-winded reply as well, but I think the quote says it best.

P.S. I migrated from Palm Desktop on Vista with NO problems.
    I smell undercover iPhone Fanboy. Trip Hawkins dead give away. Me personally, switched from Blackberry Storm with No issues. Texting is so easy that (along with my new unlimited texting plan via Sprint) I've found myself blasting away texts messages all day - one handed I might add. Haven't found a point where I've been stuck without charging issues. Besides Monday being a slow "phone" day for me, the battery lasted the entire day. Yes the Pre has issues, but I still think it's the best phone out for a few simple reasons.

1. Open Source backbone - once this thing is officially opened up to us, bugs and issues will be fixed in the matter of day if not hours, not months.

2. Superior hardware - will handle upgrades and more aggressive apps with ease.

3. Based on two make or break companies - Sprint and Palm are both on the edge, they are putting everything they have into the success of this product, and so far is paying off.

List goes on. Bottom line, if you don't like the phone, take it back. There are plenty of others out there that would love it.
  10.    #10  
    As I see it, there is no way to purge messages based on date (older then a week or two weeks, etc.) AND each thread must be deleted one message at a time.
    You can toss aside an entire thread. You're right that you can't purge messages based on a date though. Hold on the person's name in conversation view, throw it off the side of the screen.
  12.    #12  
    Come on man, I'm just voicing my opinion. I have so many Treo / Palm phones I could start a museum. I'm sorry I confused Jeff and Trip but I promise, my shop is all PC and I've never considered an iphone other then the original Newton (stick that in your pipe and figure out how interested in smart phones I am - kidding no attack intended).
  13.    #13  
    I think you know what I mean. There are so many threads about text deficiencies you could make a quilt.
  14.    #14  
    Sorry, the brothers Hawkins confused me. No harm. Please crawl out of my ***.
    I may be biased in the fact that I could probably create a blackberry museum to rival your palm museum. So when Blackberry released the Storm and I rushed out to get it (and the great disappointment ensued) I begin my search for a better phone for me and me alone. The Storm was the straw that broke the camels back in this phone is better, that phone is better wars. I looked at functionality to the utmost and how the phone would fit in my life. The Palm Pre won hands down. And still to the day now owning the phone, I can't believe how long I've been going on other phones. This phone truely just works for me. Even with it's short comings.
  16.    #16  
    "Return it" - who says that any more? Seriously.

Most people spending the time to discuss this devise WANT it to work. For all those that say "Please take it back and save us your drivel" I wonder how you survived kindergarten. The point is, I don't want to take it back.

I paid for it.

I waited for it.

I want it to work with my life.

PLEASE, ALL responders, that line makes you look silly. WE are here as a group to discuss what we think about something we want to impart a certain amount of personal responsibility to - in a small device no less.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by decaren View Post
    I may be biased in the fact that I could probably create a blackberry museum to rival your palm museum. So when Blackberry released the Storm and I rushed out to get it (and the great disappointment ensued) I begin my search for a better phone for me and me alone. The Storm was the straw that broke the camels back in this phone is better, that phone is better wars. I looked at functionality to the utmost and how the phone would fit in my life. The Palm Pre won hands down. And still to the day now owning the phone, I can't believe how long I've been going on other phones. This phone truely just works for me. Even with it's short comings.
    Amen brother (or sister).

I'm just trying to get along in a white man's world.

Patrick
    im with you PF!!!!!!!!!!!

no sd come on i got the sd card that flips to usb and i think everyone should own one.theres no copy and paste and its not one-handed friendly and the ringer goes off even if its silent.ive been palm since the treo 300 and this is the worst palm ever
    aghhhhhhh i hate it and it died and got my old phone and plan back from sprint .

pre sucks i knew it would and im glad i wasn't a day to day pre junky waitng for it to come out just went that morning got mine didnt even make a line liek 5 peeps in front of me. i charged the phone went to a bbq and it was already dying POS in small form

700p over pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    What smart phone today CAN be operated one handedly? This isn't your Motorola StarTAC.
    I guess you've never used a Treo, Blackberry, WM Smartphone or Nokia S60 device. In short, the majority of smartphones by number of units sold.

Quote Originally Posted by decaren
    I smell undercover iPhone Fanboy.
    Nice detective work Holmes. Was the requirement for one-handedness what really tipped you off?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 700p over PRE View Post
    im with you PF!!!!!!!!!!!

no sd come on i got the sd card that flips to usb and i think everyone should own one.theres no copy and paste and its not one-handed friendly and the ringer goes off even if its silent.ive been palm since the treo 300 and this is the worst palm ever
    aghhhhhhh i hate it and it died and got my old phone and plan back from sprint .

pre sucks i knew it would and im glad i wasn't a day to day pre junky waitng for it to come out just went that morning got mine didnt even make a line liek 5 peeps in front of me. i charged the phone went to a bbq and it was already dying POS in small form

700p over pre
    There is copy an paste in editable areas. I've never had the ringer go off when it's in silent. And again, have you even LOOKED at the battery thread where there are options to making the battery life increase dramatically? There are many things I hate about my Pre, but I at least try to find a work around before I say it's a completely lost cause.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast