Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    People, I'm sorry to report this is 1. a hardware related issue with some Pre's RTC chip running fast and 2. the fact that the phone only syncs once with Sprint towers when at the time it boots up.

This is not a tower related issue. My wife and I both own Pre's and mine had the issue. It would run anywhere from five to twenty minutes fast by the end of day if I did not reboot. Hers ran just fine, never missed a beat. I became fed two weeks ago and had the phone replaced. I'm happy to report the replacement does not have the RTC defect and keeps accurate time.

Good luck.
    Last edited by a2k; 01/17/2010 at 07:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by botanu View Post
    I tried a solution suggested by taking the battery out and reinstalling it yesterday and the phone has kept the correct time since then. I'll keep you posted whether this has solved my problem permanently or how long it lasted.
    It's been almost a week since I pulled the battery out and re-installed it and my Pre has kept the correct time since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I just checked my clock again tonight and it was back to being fast again. A little annoying that Palm has a basic function like this not working correctly (especially since it should simply pull time from the network). {{sigh}}

1. Do you have network time on or off? ON
    2. Location USA/Illinois
    3. Does your clock go fast or slow? Fast
    4. How far behind / forward does your clock fall / advance per day? 2-3 Minutes
    5. Do you travel across time zones? Not Recently
    This is my problem too and going in and out of Airplane mode fixes it for me. An almost daily occurence unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by a2k View Post
    People, I'm sorry to report this is 1. a hardware related issue with some Pre's RTC chip running fast and 2. the fact that the phone only syncs once with Sprint towers when at the time it boots up.

This is not a any tower related issue. My wife and I both own Pre's and mine had the issue. It would run anywhere from five to two minutes fast by the end of the day if I did not reboot the phone. Her's ran just fine, never missed a beat. I became fed two weeks ago and had the phone replaced. I'm happy to report the replacement does not have the RTC defect and keeps accurate time.

Good luck.
    Can you post where you found this info? Thanks!
  5. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Can you post where you found this info? Thanks!
    It was posted here by DallasHigh, I can't remember the original posting, but I do recall my quoting him...

"The RTC chip on the Pre is hit-or-miss. Typically this doesn't matter on cell phones because they regularly sync with the network. However, on top of this hardware problem is a software problem which causes the Pre to only sync with the network when the radio is first powered on (coming out of airplane mode or rebooting the phone).

The software problem needs to be fixed. I can't believe it's been 7 months and there is still no fix for something so basic.

The hardware problem is not going away if your Pre is affected by it. Personally my phone gains about one minute per day. I never had this problem on any of my WiMo phones, even with Network Time turned off."
    Use the new homebrew app that will sync the time with the internet National Time.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I just recently got my 2nd pre, I exchanged the first one that I had since launch day in hopes of fixing the time issue. To my dismay, this one too has the same problem, keeps gaining time.
    1. Do you have network time on or off? ON
    2. Location Cleveland OH
    3. Does your clock go fast or slow? Fast
    4. How far behind / forward does your clock fall / advance per day? 2-3 Minutes
    5. Do you travel across time zones? No
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Seeing as this is a big issue affecting quite a few people I would like to research this issue further. If you would be willing to assist in providing a log file from the device please PM me.

I would also like the following questions answered

1. Do you have network time on or off?
    2. Location
    3. Does your clock go fast or slow?
    4. How far behind / forward does your clock fall / advance per day?
    5. Do you travel across time zones?
    How do I keep a log file from my device?
    If anyone is interested in the homebrew app "NTP Sync" thread I posted instructions on how to setup a cron job to run hourly to sync the time on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by csrredcoat View Post
    How do I keep a log file from my device?
    I offered, and he said that they had enough and were working on it.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    My phone is fixed.

I was having this issue with the clock running fast, and jumping in and out of airplane mode would reset it. I then began having some issues with my power button not working correctly. I took it to a Sprint store and the guy there fixed the power button in about 10 minutes. Every since then, my clock has worked perfectly. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but the power button adjustment fixed everything. Clock perfect, power button perfect, battery life improved.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny1981 View Post
    My phone is fixed.

I was having this issue with the clock running fast, and jumping in and out of airplane mode would reset it. I then began having some issues with my power button not working correctly. I took it to a Sprint store and the guy there fixed the power button in about 10 minutes. Every since then, my clock has worked perfectly. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but the power button adjustment fixed everything. Clock perfect, power button perfect, battery life improved.
    Did he have to shut down the phone as if he was swapping out the battery? Doing this myself and simply removing and putting the same battery back in fixed my clock issue. My Pre has been keeping accurate time for over a week since I did that. Of course, this wouldn't fix your power button problem.
    Just another person affected by the daily time creep. Time set correct with a phone restart, but adds about 2 to 3 minutes in a 24 hour period after that. Wiped the phone with webOSdoctor and reinstalled 1.3.5.1 firmware and still have identical problem. I didn't notice the problem until some time after the 1.3.5 firmware was released.

1. Do you have network time on or off? (ON)
    2. Location (Tried on auto setting and hard set for US/Chicaco)
    3. Does your clock go fast or slow? (Fast)
    4. How far behind / forward does your clock fall / advance per day? (2 to 3 minutes)
    5. Do you travel across time zones? (No)
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Ok, so am I the only one whose clock is super SLOW? My clock will say 3:30pm when's 4:45pm. ***? This has only been happening for the past week or so. Once I restart, I'm fine for a while.

I'll try taking the battery out and putting it back in. I REALLY don't want to replace my phone again!

What settings should I have my clock on? I have Network Time ON and Network Time Zone ON. Is this right?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Ok, I did the battery thing and changed my Network Time Zone to my time zone (CST). We'll see...
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by botanu View Post
    Did he have to shut down the phone as if he was swapping out the battery? Doing this myself and simply removing and putting the same battery back in fixed my clock issue. My Pre has been keeping accurate time for over a week since I did that. Of course, this wouldn't fix your power button problem.
    Yes, he did shut the phone down. However, I had done this numerous times (shut down, take out battery, put battery back in) in an attempt to fix the time issue, and it never worked for me.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    So far, so good for me.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I've experienced this twice now. Yesterday morning, I awoke @ 7:15am to my normal alarm clock and picked up my phone to see it read 3:20am. Of course in the post-waking haze I was in, I didn't know who to believe. The slowly increasing light outside my window proved my Pre was the culprit. I took a shower, and after a half-hour, the clock only read 3:23. I reset the phone, it fixed the time and I went about my day thinking it was some minor temporary glitch.

Fast-forward to last night, following the Jay Leno show around 11pm, I checked my phone for email and to my dismay, the clock read 6:46pm. This time I fiddled around with the clock settings, and every time I switched 'Network Time' back to ON, it would just say "Waiting for network time..." and never complete.

I will try the remove/reinstall the battery trick and report back the results.

1. Do you have network time on or off? (ON)
    2. Location (Tried on auto setting [EST/Cayman Islands] and hard set for US/New York)
    3. Does your clock go fast or slow? (Slow/Frozen)
    4. How far behind / forward does your clock fall / advance per day? (~4 hours)
    5. Do you travel across time zones? (No)
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcaffrey View Post
    and every time I switched 'Network Time' back to ON, it would just say "Waiting for network time..." and never complete.
    This happened to me, too! Ever since I chose my specific time zone, I haven't had problems. Try that!