1.    #1  
    So, there's three ways to basically charge the Pre.

1.) 1A AC adapter or car charger directly to Pre.

2.) 500mA USB charger directly to Pre.

3.) 1A charger to Touchstone to Pre.

I realize that charging via the Touchstone is slower, but I was wondering if anyone has for example compared the rate of charging of the Touchstone to connecting the Pre to the computer and charging via USB.

The reason I ask is because I was thinking of picking up something like this for my travel bag for when I go away to save space, and the specs mention that it's only 500mA per USB port:

I already have a Touchstone for at home, and I find that the speed of that is acceptable, but if charging using 500mA is much slower than that, then it's not worth getting the adapter for me.

You might ask why not just get a second 1A AC adapter for traveling, and the answer is that I want a mini surge protector / power strip anyway, and the additional USB port for charging other things is useful as well, if it wouldn't take my Pre forever to charge on it.
    if you knew that a 500ma USB port charged the Pre at 60% of the rate of the 1A charger, does that help answer your question?

BTW, the official blurb claims that the Touchstone is as fast as the 1A AC charger...
    • Magnets in the dock align your phone in the correct position for charging, whether in portrait or
    landscape mode
    • No cables or connectors required to attach your PalmŪ Pre™ phone to the dock
    • Charges your device in same amount of time as wall charger
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    if you knew that a 500ma USB port charged the Pre at 60% of the rate of the 1A charger, does that help answer your question?

BTW, the official blurb claims that the Touchstone is as fast as the 1A AC charger...
    Yeah, that definitely helps some, thanks. And I know the official thing says that about the Touchstone, but people have said otherwise here.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I see that my Pre charges slower on the Touchstone and gets even hotter when charging when using the touchstone. Once charged on the touchstone, it cools down.

So they said that the Induction charging is as fast, but it does not make sense since then you have to be pulling more amps via the touchstone to get the magnetic field as strong enough to produce amperage as the direct charge.

I going to pull out my power measuring wall meter to check this out.

bruce
    this would be a cool test for precentral to conduct, to settle once and for all i'm going to suggest that they do that.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i didnt do any objective tests but i found that:\
    1. normal wall charger plugged into micro usb port is the fastest
    2. touchstone is slightly slower
    3. charging via usb supplies power at about the same rate the Pre uses it to keep the screen on while web browsing
    I charged my Pre on the Touchstone and it was every bit as fast as the USB... But that also could have to do with my phone having cpu-scaling enabled...
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Bringing the thread back from the dead. I think the USB cable with wall charger would charge faster simply for the fact that the screen is off. With the touchstone the screen itself is burning off power as you're charging so even though both methods provide the same charge to the battery, the touchstone is also burning more power than just the standby with the screen off; hence the slower speed with the touchstone.

Question for the board. Has anyone tested running the hotspot while at the same time charging the phone on the touchstone? I wonder if touchstone would keep up and if the phone would overheat.
    My TS charges pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So, there's three ways to basically charge the Pre.

1.) 1A AC adapter or car charger directly to Pre.

2.) 500mA USB charger directly to Pre.

3.) 1A charger to Touchstone to Pre.

I realize that charging via the Touchstone is slower, but I was wondering if anyone has for example compared the rate of charging of the Touchstone to connecting the Pre to the computer and charging via USB.

The reason I ask is because I was thinking of picking up something like this for my travel bag for when I go away to save space, and the specs mention that it's only 500mA per USB port:

I already have a Touchstone for at home, and I find that the speed of that is acceptable, but if charging using 500mA is much slower than that, then it's not worth getting the adapter for me.

You might ask why not just get a second 1A AC adapter for traveling, and the answer is that I want a mini surge protector / power strip anyway, and the additional USB port for charging other things is useful as well, if it wouldn't take my Pre forever to charge on it.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre