Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I have been watching and reading everything that I could find about the Pre and the Iphone for about 3 months. I have come to the conclusion that Palm is definitely ran by some of the smartest people in the world.

I think the idea of launching 2 days before WWDC was absolutely genius. It took steam out of the iphone prior to their announcement and now the Pre is mentioned in every add and television show about the Iphone. So, Palm is now getting free advertising and buzz. Heck, it is the only phone really ever touted against the iphone by major news organizations and they haven't even begun the marketing.

But that is not all to my theory: Check this out. I believe we are not only the Beta testers for this phone, but part of another genius plan. They launched this phone with several things not yet working ie... tethering, video, copy and paste etc.... But the phone is capable of these things and a lot more. I believe they waited to see what Apple was going to do and now that they know. I think that when they start the marketing campaign in a couple weeks that several of our complaints and the features we were hoping for on the Pre will be released. That would be an awesome way to take air out of the sail of the iphone. I also believe between now and then the App Catalog will grow exponentially. Why do I believe this? From my research it took developers 2 months to write Pandora for the iphone. It only took 5 days to develop Pandora for the Pre.

Well that is one Geek's Theory. I truly believe the underdog Palm is a lot smarter than anyone gives them credit for.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    well written. We shall see.

Richie
    I agree. With full-scale advertising starting in two weeks, I'd imagine they'll have a ton of fixes available by then, and by then there should be no issues with producing a ton of them to sell either.

I don't believe everything will be fixed in two weeks, of course, that'd be crazy, but I'd bet a lot of the big stuff will be fixed. Even if it's not, I'm happy with it now as is anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastLife2010 View Post
    well written.
    Well, if you ignore the "Palm is definitely ran by some of the smartest people" part. The only thing I don't understand is why the geniuses at Palm were so clever in generating all this free buzz, but were somehow unable to perform the most basic logistics to take advantage of that buzz?

High demand * zero supply = $0.00.
    Good point, that indeed would be a brilliant tactic. Especially since in the US, AT&T is killing the IPhone by blocking many of the new features of the new phone and charging current subscribers $200 more than new ones for the same phone. If I were Apple I would be po'd at at&t
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Well, if you ignore the "Palm is definitely ran by some of the smartest people" part. The only thing I don't understand is why the geniuses at Palm were so clever in generating all this free buzz, but were somehow unable to perform the most basic logistics to take advantage of that buzz?

Again, the Wii disagrees.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Well, I'm going to avoid setting myself up for disappointment: I don't expect big fixes in the next couple of weeks--perhaps a few bug fixes. I think we will see a bunch of apps though. And I do believe that they were geniuses for releasing before WWDC. I think I said a while back that all articles about the new iPhone will necessarily mention the Pre as well.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

Nintendo carried their buzz out for what, almost 2 years? And the Wii has been pretty successful. I had to go to Fry's every day at lunch to see if they got any in, and then buy it on the spot the day they had them.

There are different forms of marketing and I think Palm and Sprint may have faultered in our eyes, but I think they have done a super job in their overall marketing strategy (and it's barely started!)
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970 View Post
    Nintendo carried their buzz out for what, almost 2 years? And the Wii has been pretty successful. I had to go to Fry's every day at lunch to see if they got any in, and then buy it on the spot the day they had them.

There are different forms of marketing and I think Palm and Sprint may have faultered in our eyes, but I think they have done a super job in their overall marketing strategy (and it's barely started!)
    I have to admit I was in the WTF camp here as far as debut and marketing. After seeing what Apple showed I to was underwhelmed. This is coming from a current 1st gen Iphone user on Tmo. With the ad campaign then starting in about 2 weeks for the pre. If they can fix some of the major problems (IE Battery drain, poor reception in strong locations) they can have a real winner here.

We have 27 days for returns and 10 days till new Iphone. Personally I don't want to go back to the dark side. If they can't fix this stuff within that time I'll be a reluctant returner.
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970 View Post
    And Nintendo was up against the ropes financially during their "shortages?" And Nintendo's 1.8 million Wiis per month was somehow a production failure? Comparing the Wii release to the Pre release is hilarious. The Wii remains an immensely popular device that even herculean production can't keep up with. The Pre, Palm's last gasp, is a potentially popular device that can't even get started out of the gate production-wise.
    And Nintendo was up against the ropes financially during their "shortages?" And Nintendo's 1.8 million Wiis per month was somehow a production failure? Comparing the Wii release to the Pre release is hilarious. The Wii remains an immensely popular device that even herculean production can't keep up with. The Pre, Palm's last gasp, is a potentially popular device that can't even get started out of the gate production-wise.
    The Wii had production issues the first 6 months. They couldn't make more because of part shortages.

Nintendo was not doing well in the console area at the time, the Gamecube barely got by, and everyone balked at the Wii when it was released. Their tune changed when it was moving 500K units a month.

The comparison to the Wii is just to show demand can still be high if the product is hard to find. There is no reason why it cant be a parallel.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Big difference between a toy and a cell phone. People usually get a phone when they need one. If pre's not in they will get something else or go somewhere else. Palm is no nintendo
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Well said, I hope that you are right.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    The stores received large shipments today. "Give them just enough to keep them wanting more"
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I've been thinking pretty much the same thing about Sprint/Palm's approach to this launch. I wonder, too, if they knew or were fairly certain that there wasn't going to be any gamechanging upgrades to the iPhone. If half of the stuff that was rumored for the iPhone had come to pass - OLED screen, FM transmitter, front facing camera, HD Out - then releasing in on the 6th would have been madness.

They have big opportunity here, I think, from the combination of the general disappointment about the 3GS and displeasure about customers in-contract not getting upgrade pricing. Put out an update fixing the bugs we've discovered, tweak the UI according to feedback from early adopters, add a few key features - video being the big one - get the ball rolling in a big way as far as app development goes, and then launch a campaign letting people know that the Pre is as functional as the iPhone but considerably cheaper on Sprint plans, and that apps are on the way en masse.

I heard the WSJ is reporting that Verizon is indeed getting the Pre in January. If that's the case, doesn't that pretty much assure a complete ressurection of Palm? Because this essentially turns Sprint's 6 month exclusivity period into a consumer funded beta test for the Pre, which would be redesigned and released on the nations biggest cell service provider, with all the bugs worked out and with an established app store.
    Good theory. I thought the iPhone launch took the wind from the Pre but your absolutely right.
    Everything I've read since yesterdays announcement has compared the iPhone to the Pre.
    Except, it is not "zero supply", it is limited supply. Economics 101 the "Supply and Demand" chapter says that this optimizes value for the seller. Also, as far as any of us knows, Palm and Sprint worked the best possible deal they could with their limited resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that Palm is definitely ran by some of the smartest people in the world.
    Yeah. A former Apple Exec.

Definitely some valid points except that we knew many of the new iPhone features back on March 17.

As for early adopters being beta testers, that's always a bad idea. Maybe I missed your point there, but a company that I am going to invest money and time into better design and implement features on their own terms and do it correctly the first time.

Lastly, I hope Palm's advertising completely IGNORES the iPhone. You need to convince the potential customer base that your feature set is what those customers need. Feel free to advertise features that the iPhone doesn't have and why they are important, but don't explicitly state that the iPhone is missing it. You need to convince people that are comparing phones to think that background tasks are important and question anything that doesn't have it.

Just some thoughts...
    maybe but a lot of people are already pre-ordering the iPhone..
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except, it is not "zero supply", it is limited supply. Economics 101 the "Supply and Demand" chapter says that this optimizes value for the seller. Also, as far as any of us knows, Palm and Sprint worked the best possible deal they could with their limited resources.
    In Economics 101 the price floats as a result of the interaction of supply and demand curves. In this case the price is fixed (effectively by the competition), so withholding supply isn't increasing demand or price - it's simply annoying potential customers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast