Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Akula
    The following can be fixed

    Vibrate: This is where I need Palm to shine.
    Check out the HACK

    Usability: Universal Search is not universal.
    Again it will be an app or a HACK.

    The red text is not a link. WHERE can I find the vibrate hack?

    Thanks.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    While appreciate your tone and attempt at writing an objective review, it seems to me your leaving a whole lot out of your review of this thing as a business tool.

    Your "apples-to-apples" comparison includes a third-party app on the BB? That's hardly objective.

    I don't run my own business (although I have in the past) but I do work for a firm that requires I be available just about around the clock, so my electronic leash is critical to my livelihood.

    As someone who has used a BB for the last three years and now owns a Pre here are the steps it takes on each device from my perspective (as someone who refuses to carry around a phone on a holster):

    Pre:
    1. Phone vibrates or dings
    2. Remove from pocket
    3. Press power button to wake it up
    4. Swipe to unlock
    5. Enter your 4-digit PIN using the big keys on the touchscreen
    6. Select the new email that's already on the card you've left open because you know you need quick access to your emails and also know you can leave cards open (that's, of course, if you actually need to open the email; since there's a preview, you might just read that and stuff the thing back in your pocket without actually opening it)
    7. Read

    Blackberry:
    1. Phone vibrates or dings
    2. Remove from pocket
    3. Press center button to wake it up
    4. Move the fiddly track ball to select "unlock" (since it's probably moved from there while it's been in your pocket) and hope the trackball is actually working in the down direction which at this point is about 50% of the time
    5. Type in your 5-digit-minimum password using the small keys on the keyboard
    6. Select the email
    7. Read

    Then:

    8. Pray that it doesn't have an attached Word or PDF document you need to review which requires you to:
    a. Press the center button
    b. Scroll down to Open Attachment on the menu
    c. Select Open Attachment
    d. Select the attachment
    e. Wait for the attachment to load
    f. Zoom in on the attachment (because you can't possible read it) by:
    i. Click on the Menu button
    ii. Scroll down to Zoom
    iii. Select Zoom
    iv. Use the track ball to zoom in
    v. Click to stop zooming, realize that you can't read anything now because the resolution is too low, so:
    vi. Click the menu button
    vii. Select Enhance
    viii. Wait for the enhancement to "load"
    ix. Realize that you can't read an entire sentence when you're zoomed in this far and the only way to get to the other side of the page is to zoom back out
    x. Wait until you get home or into the office so you can view the doc on a computer

    As opposed to the Pre on which you.

    1. Select the attached document
    2. Wait for the attachment to load
    3. Pinch, zoom and swipe as needed to read it

    The only thing BB has got going for it IMO is the blinky red light in case I didn't hear the beep.

    And don't even get me started on the multitasking; what do you do with a BB if you're in the middle of an email and need to get information to complete said email from some other source, as happens to me ALL the time??

    So, yeah - they need to do a little work on the EAS side of things, and battery life needs some tweaking (my BB will go 2 or 3 days on a charge in regular use), but as it stands now, the past two days conducting busines with the Pre as my leash have been way better than any day with my BBs over the past three years. It's not even close.

    Not quite sure what you are referring to with respect to multitasking on the Blackberry....if you want to open another application while in the middle of the message, just hit the "end" key which will take you to the home screen and you are back to the home screen where you can select the new application you need to look up your information in. And once you have it use the app switcher to pick up where you left off in your email, sms, bb messenger or other IM platform message.....the only issue I could forsee is that you can have two email messages open at the same time with the native Blackberry mail system but a workaround would be to install the gmail app. But additionally there are many keyboard shortcuts that allow you to avoid having to use the trackball....(hit "u" from the lock screen and it will automatically prompt you to enter your password).
  3. #43  
    Very fair review, Akula. I think you nailed the plusses and minuses. The plusses far outweigh the minuses for me, but I'm not running my own business.

    Gmoney, I think its perfectly objective to include a 3rd party app in his review- he can buy that app for the blackberry. That's a plus for it. Akula didn't say he was comparing the phones out of the box, but in real life.
  4. #44  
    Thanks for the review. Interesting to hear your perspective. I was having significant battery issues until I turned off the GPS and dropped the brightness way down. now it'll make it to the end of the day without a recharge with light use (some phone, 2 email accounts on "as they arrive," a bit of texting, a bit of web) Otherwise I still do find myself topping it off, mostly due to the terrible cell signal in the building I work in (a problem not unique to the Pre) I wonder if the seidio extended bat will help, or if anyone's developing a "bulge" case for some massive 2k mAh jobbie...
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
  5. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I've had a phone disintegrate in my hand while using it. Pieces just came apart. (Treo 700p) That was slightly amusing...
    Funny, I had the same thing happen to mine. Well...to be totally honest, it wasn't EXACTLY the same. Mine came apart after i threw it against a wall because it kept resetting for no apparent reason and cost me a rather lucrative deal. It seems funnier now. Not so funny then.

    Your review was definately fair. At this point, the phone is working well for my needs. I agree with you, I love synergy. I've been able to cope with the battery issues with a touchstone and car charger. I could see how that might not be feasable for some. I too hope that more useful apps and updates will follow shortly.
    Last edited by fwinst; 07/09/2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: missing word
  6. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Very fair review, Akula. I think you nailed the plusses and minuses. The plusses far outweigh the minuses for me, but I'm not running my own business.

    Gmoney, I think its perfectly objective to include a 3rd party app in his review- he can buy that app for the blackberry. That's a plus for it. Akula didn't say he was comparing the phones out of the box, but in real life.
    What third party app are you guys referring to? The magnet feature is built into the RIM software. It's not a third-party feature... it's included...

    And thanks for the kind words. I'm just trying to educate prospective buyers. Some phones don't meet everyone's needs and people need to hear the good AND the bad to be able to make their decision.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  7. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Your "apples-to-apples" comparison includes a third-party app on the BB? That's hardly objective.
    What third-party app are you referring to? Magnet is stock.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    Not quite sure what you are referring to with respect to multitasking on the Blackberry....if you want to open another application while in the middle of the message, just hit the "end" key which will take you to the home screen and you are back to the home screen where you can select the new application you need to look up your information in. And once you have it use the app switcher to pick up where you left off in your email, sms, bb messenger or other IM platform message.....the only issue I could forsee is that you can have two email messages open at the same time with the native Blackberry mail system but a workaround would be to install the gmail app. But additionally there are many keyboard shortcuts that allow you to avoid having to use the trackball....(hit "u" from the lock screen and it will automatically prompt you to enter your password).
    Wait, so are you telling me that's easier than swiping left or right with my finger to move between apps?

    My point was that he implied checking email is easier on the BB, and clearly, IMO, it is not.

    I've been using BB for the last three years as my business leash and loved every minute of it. If it was better than the Pre for conducting business I'd still have it. But I don't. My BB was totally free, no service fee, no equipment fee - to get the Pre, I had to clear it with IT (not to mention my wife) and buy it myself. And at this point, other than the notification light and the double-space periods, I don't miss that BB at all.

    Let's take addressing an email as another example. On the BB, you scroll up to the To field, start typing in a name, and then, to get your BB to check the GAL, you ask your BB to search the GAL. And then you wait. Once the list finally shows up in a different screen, if, for example, you've typed in "John" and you work for a large firm, you've got maybe 50 "Johns" on that list, so you scroll down with your little fiddly click wheel (and might even have to go to a second page) until you find the right guy and select him. Then your BB returns you back to your email screen with the right guy in the field.

    Let's contrast that with the Pre. You click the To field and then you start typing John. Almost immediately, up pops a list of Johns from both your contact list and your GAL. You never even told it to check the GAL. Now, if there's a long list and you don't have the right John in front of you, you just keep typing to narrow it down. No scrolling, no selecting, you don't even remove your hands from the keyboard. Within two more letters you've likely got it narrowed down to the right guy. You click the name and you're done.

    I used to bring my laptop home from work some nights and most weekends to make sure I could handle my business at all times. That laptop hasn't left my office since June 9th when my Pre showed up in the mail.

    Prospective buyers should get both sides of the story.

    It's not even close.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 07/10/2009 at 01:01 AM.
  9. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Wait, so are you telling me that's easier than swiping left or right with my finger to move between apps?

    My point was that he implied checking email is easier on the BB, and clearly, IMO, it is not.
    Obviously you love your Pre, but you really need to start being objective and look at the actions required to check your mail.

    Initial Conditions: No locking screen for BB or Palm Pre (no passoword). Pre still has the "swipe to unlock" which is required to activate the alerts. BlackBerry is in a magnetic holster, which automatically puts it to sleep, and Pre is in Seidio holster. Both phones are not on silent and can make noise using stock sounds only.

    Here is the step by step:
    Step 1:
    Pre: Email comes in. Phone vibrates weakly ONCE and dings ONCE. (Not customizable yet.)
    BlackBerry: Email comes in, phone vibrates strongly 1-3 times with user customizable sounds (over 30 available.) Notification light starts flashing.

    Step 2:
    Pre: Pull phone out of Holster.
    Blackberry: Pull phone out of Holster.

    Step 3:
    Pre: Swipe to Unlock.
    Blackberry: Email automatically opens when removed from holster.

    Step 4:
    Pre: Click on Notification. Email opens.
    Blackberry: *already reading email*

    Now that is an example of the most SIMPLE action to read emails. BlackBerry requires 25% less steps to read an email. I'd be happy to compare the efficiency of ANY action on a BlackBerry. My point is that Palm's old adage of focusing on the "user experience and efficiency" has shifted to "user interface bling". It's not necessarily a bad thing, merely different.

    Now, is Blackberry email is pretty as the Pre's... absolutely not.
    PDF viewing? Pre has an advantage here as well.... at least on the low-res BlackBerries.

    Your GAL lookup example is also flawed. You can lookup addresses in GAL just the same way as you suggested you could with the Pre. The Pre only stores locally addresses that you've already used. It still needs to search the GAL as you type. And both can filter based on the input. You assume that the BlackBerry can't narrow by last name AND first, which we both know is not true. Both phones are VERY similar is their GAL usage, so please don't try and sway prospective owners with false information.

    How is the Pre with invites? Exchange calendar integration? Shared Calendars? Forwarding contacts? Etc...

    You like the Pre, we get that. Please don't blindly defend it. It's ok to admit that the Pre fits your needs. It didn't fit mine. I want to be able to customize my alerts... feel my vibrate... have decent battery life. Read my review, you'll see why I chose not to keep the Pre, it wasn't a fanboy defense of BlackBerry.

    Prospective buyers should get both sides of the story.
    One final example...

    You say swiping to switch applications is easier... Let's assume you have the applications open that you want to switch back and forth between.
    Pre: (If advanced Gestures are on.) Full swipe across the screen switches to last used app.
    BlackBerry: Hold ALT and press "Back" button. Keep holding Alt button and use trackball to select using the App Switcher.

    I'll give the advantage (slightly to the Pre) if the app is the last one you used, but let's say you've got five apps open... Swipe up (1) or press center button (1), swipe (2), swipe (3), swipe (4) (assuming it's the fourth app on the open window. Tap to open (5). Five steps. It's not as magical as you think.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  10. #50  
    As far as the worse disappointments go, you can eaisily root your Pre and hack it using the how to's at the Pre Dev Wiki. You can hack universal search to search our email account. However, I think that this will only be need for a few months, when Palm releases out a new firmware (not 1.0) that includes Universal Search Addons. The vibrate issue is far most one of the easiest hacks. All you have to do is change the vibrate time so it is more noticeable. The actual hardware is not limited to make the vibrate bad. Just it vibrates for a split second.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  11. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    As far as the worse disappointments go, you can eaisily root your Pre and hack it using the how to's at the Pre Dev Wiki. You can hack universal search to search our email account. However, I think that this will only be need for a few months, when Palm releases out a new firmware (not 1.0) that includes Universal Search Addons. The vibrate issue is far most one of the easiest hacks. All you have to do is change the vibrate time so it is more noticeable. The actual hardware is not limited to make the vibrate bad. Just it vibrates for a split second.
    That's unnacceptable in my opinion. If it's so easy to do, why didn't Palm include these features in the Pre?

    And the strength of the vibrate is weak also. Just because the WEAK vibrate is longer, doesn't mean it will be any more noticeable.

    The fact that suggesting the average user "root" their Pre to get basic functionality is laughable.... Shame on Palm for giving us a half-finished device.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Obviously you love your Pre, but you really need to start being objective and look at the actions required to check your mail.
    I get that it didn't work for you, doesn't work for everybody, no problems there. But you created your own thread and threw it out there like it was an unbiased and thorough review and it's not. Anything about notifications in there? I would think there would be.

    SLIGHT advantage to the Pre in viewing docs?? Slight? Seriously? Maybe viewing docs isn't a big deal in your business so you discount it, but it is for me, and my BB had me running for a PC to read just about anything.

    When I need to address an email, I just start typing a name. Contacts start popping up immediately and I select one. That is NOT how BB works, and it's easier on the Pre.

    And just look at your final example; hold Alt, then back, then keep holding ALT and trackball? That's easier than swiping? Are you kidding me? Even if it is the 5th app that's lame (like if you write the word "swipe" 5 times suddenly that's a chore), but how about if it's the one right next door? And I KNOW that since you brought up the advance gestures that you know you don't have to actually swipe up or hit the center button and minimize to switch apps, you just swipe left or right. Kinda like you threw all that in there just to make is seem more difficult than it is - in your unbiased review. You've got every tip, trick and shortcut down pat on the BB, yet on the Pre you come at it in some backward way that's harder than it actually is. Even your quick-draw holstering example required you to set up a specific scenario.

    I agree with you on a lot of those other issues, the software isn't as robust as it needs to be, and I hope they'll get hammered out over time. You can call it "bling" if you want, but interface and ease of use are NOT advantages a BB holds over the Pre.
  13. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I get that it didn't work for you, doesn't work for everybody, no problems there. But you created your own thread and threw it out there like it was an unbiased and thorough review and it's not. Anything about notifications in there? I would think there would be.

    SLIGHT advantage to the Pre in viewing docs?? Slight? Seriously? Maybe viewing docs isn't a big deal in your business so you discount it, but it is for me, and my BB had me running for a PC to read just about anything.

    When I need to address an email, I just start typing a name. Contacts start popping up immediately and I select one. That is NOT how BB works, and it's easier on the Pre.

    And just look at your final example; hold Alt, then back, then keep holding ALT and trackball? That's easier than swiping? Are you kidding me? Even if it is the 5th app that's lame (like if you write the word "swipe" 5 times suddenly that's a chore), but how about if it's the one right next door? And I KNOW that since you brought up the advance gestures that you know you don't have to actually swipe up or hit the center button and minimize to switch apps, you just swipe left or right. Kinda like you threw all that in there just to make is seem more difficult than it is - in your unbiased review. You've got every tip, trick and shortcut down pat on the BB, yet on the Pre you come at it in some backward way that's harder than it actually is. Even your quick-draw holstering example required you to set up a specific scenario.

    I agree with you on a lot of those other issues, the software isn't as robust as it needs to be, and I hope they'll get hammered out over time. You can call it "bling" if you want, but interface and ease of use are NOT advantages a BB holds over the Pre.
    *sigh* Seriously, relax. I'm not insulting your mother's honor. It's a phone.

    Contacts: If I start typing in my BlackBerry, it brings up a list of people that are contained in my address book... just like the Pre. It's the same thing. One phone you touch the screen, the other you click the trackball. Same function though. I don't know which BlackBerry you're using, so that's an unknown...

    PDFs: I said that the Pre was better at PDFs. What else do you want? I didn't say anything about documents. I assume you're referring to Word, Excel, and Presentations... Let's agree to not discuss that.

    Easier is an opinion... the number of steps required to compete an action is quantitative. I never said easier. I compare the NUMBER of steps to complete an action. It's the only way to compare two devices.

    As far as notifications, both devices display them. BB at the top of the device, Pre at the bottom. Palm's unobtrusive method is nice if you're operating the phone, but doesn't do squat for you if it's off. My BB has color specific notifications for specific accuonts and events. I don't even need to turn my phone on (yes, this is third-party...) to know what KIND of message it is. Yes, I don't know the contents of it...

    The Pre has lots of advantages over the BB... multiple email messages open at once, mutiple everything for that matter... but severe limitations. Cut and paste ONLY from text edits? No wonder you have to be able to open multiple windows, so you can flip back and forth since you CAN'T COPY AND PASTE FROM AN EMAIL!!

    As for my review being "unbiased", it's not. It's an OBJECTIVE (which is different word, look it up) review of a device based on my needs. My needs define my bias toward a device. I don't listen to music on my device... (as stated in my review) therefore the media capabilities aren't included in my "bias". For you to come to a thread started about a BUSINESS OWNERS'S perspective and tell me that the Pre is absolutely better, is ignorant. I believe your words were, "It isn't even close". You don't know me... you don't know how I use my phone. I presented my use case. Presented what I liked about the phone and what I didn't and my reason to go back to the BlackBerry Curve. You're welcome to disagree, but don't insult my intelligence.

    Please lay off the attitude and I'll be happy to continue a spirited debate...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    *sigh* Seriously, relax. I'm not insulting your mother's honor. It's a phone.

    Contacts: If I start typing in my BlackBerry, it brings up a list of people that are contained in my address book... just like the Pre. It's the same thing. One phone you touch the screen, the other you click the trackball. Same function though. I don't know which BlackBerry you're using, so that's an unknown...

    PDFs: I said that the Pre was better at PDFs. What else do you want? I didn't say anything about documents. I assume you're referring to Word, Excel, and Presentations... Let's agree to not discuss that.

    Easier is an opinion... the number of steps required to compete an action is quantitative. I never said easier. I compare the NUMBER of steps to complete an action. It's the only way to compare two devices.

    As far as notifications, both devices display them. BB at the top of the device, Pre at the bottom. Palm's unobtrusive method is nice if you're operating the phone, but doesn't do squat for you if it's off. My BB has color specific notifications for specific accuonts and events. I don't even need to turn my phone on (yes, this is third-party...) to know what KIND of message it is. Yes, I don't know the contents of it...

    The Pre has lots of advantages over the BB... multiple email messages open at once, mutiple everything for that matter... but severe limitations. Cut and paste ONLY from text edits? No wonder you have to be able to open multiple windows, so you can flip back and forth since you CAN'T COPY AND PASTE FROM AN EMAIL!!

    As for my review being "unbiased", it's not. It's an OBJECTIVE (which is different word, look it up) review of a device based on my needs. My needs define my bias toward a device. I don't listen to music on my device... (as stated in my review) therefore the media capabilities aren't included in my "bias". For you to come to a thread started about a BUSINESS OWNERS'S perspective and tell me that the Pre is absolutely better, is ignorant. I believe your words were, "It isn't even close". You don't know me... you don't know how I use my phone. I presented my use case. Presented what I liked about the phone and what I didn't and my reason to go back to the BlackBerry Curve. You're welcome to disagree, but don't insult my intelligence.

    Please lay off the attitude and I'll be happy to continue a spirited debate...
    You guys are funny!!! But you both made good points as to why each device fits your particular needs.
  15. #55  
    Come on now......GROUP HUG!!! LOL
  16. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin1497 View Post
    Come on now......GROUP HUG!!! LOL
    *pouting* I'm not hugging him unless he hugs my Cabbage Patch Kid first...

    My feeling is hurt. (Which is pretty easy, cause I only have one...)
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    *sigh* Seriously, relax. I'm not insulting your mother's honor. It's a phone.

    Contacts: If I start typing in my BlackBerry, it brings up a list of people that are contained in my address book... just like the Pre. It's the same thing. One phone you touch the screen, the other you click the trackball. Same function though. I don't know which BlackBerry you're using, so that's an unknown...

    PDFs: I said that the Pre was better at PDFs. What else do you want? I didn't say anything about documents. I assume you're referring to Word, Excel, and Presentations... Let's agree to not discuss that.

    Easier is an opinion... the number of steps required to compete an action is quantitative. I never said easier. I compare the NUMBER of steps to complete an action. It's the only way to compare two devices.

    As far as notifications, both devices display them. BB at the top of the device, Pre at the bottom. Palm's unobtrusive method is nice if you're operating the phone, but doesn't do squat for you if it's off. My BB has color specific notifications for specific accuonts and events. I don't even need to turn my phone on (yes, this is third-party...) to know what KIND of message it is. Yes, I don't know the contents of it...

    The Pre has lots of advantages over the BB... multiple email messages open at once, mutiple everything for that matter... but severe limitations. Cut and paste ONLY from text edits? No wonder you have to be able to open multiple windows, so you can flip back and forth since you CAN'T COPY AND PASTE FROM AN EMAIL!!

    As for my review being "unbiased", it's not. It's an OBJECTIVE (which is different word, look it up) review of a device based on my needs. My needs define my bias toward a device. I don't listen to music on my device... (as stated in my review) therefore the media capabilities aren't included in my "bias". For you to come to a thread started about a BUSINESS OWNERS'S perspective and tell me that the Pre is absolutely better, is ignorant. I believe your words were, "It isn't even close". You don't know me... you don't know how I use my phone. I presented my use case. Presented what I liked about the phone and what I didn't and my reason to go back to the BlackBerry Curve. You're welcome to disagree, but don't insult my intelligence.

    Please lay off the attitude and I'll be happy to continue a spirited debate...
    Totally relaxed, my friend, just spirited. I apologize if you think I'm coming at you otherwise and I'll try my best not to call you ignorant or tell you what you need to look up in the dictionary.

    Contacts: no, that's not just like the Pre, it brings up contacts in your address book AND your GAL in the same list when you start typing. No "extras steps" as you like to say. Click one and you're done.

    You can count "steps" until the cows come home, but two buttons and a trackball are not easier than swiping left and right.

    Notifications: they come up whether or not your'e operating the device, they give you an indication of what kind of message it is, what account it's from, the subject and if it's an SMS you can read it. All without touching a thing. If they come up when I AM using the phone and I ignore them they step aside and wait until I get back to them, so I don't derail the train from what I'm doing. And that's NOT third party.

    I never said the Pre was a better device or implied that it shouldn't be better for you. I simply took exception to your characterization of interfacing and am filling in some blanks I think you left out in your zeal to get back to your BB. I believe if you read back through my posts I've made it plain that I know there's missing functionality. Not even going to argue that - you're right. However you refuse to concede even the possibility that it might be a little easier to get around on the Pre than on a BB and with each successive response continue to mischaracterize how the device works.

    You're right, I don't know you. "It's not even close" is my perspective on ease of use, am I not allowed that in your thread?

    objective definition | Dictionary.com

    ob⋅jec⋅tive  /əbˈdʒɛktɪv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uhb-jek-tiv]
    not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion

    Umm, did you look it up?
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin1497 View Post
    Come on now......GROUP HUG!!! LOL
    Not fighting, just debating.
  19. Cr12's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    #59  
    just give us bt keyboard support!!!
    go palm now,
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Totally relaxed, my friend, just spirited. I apologize if you think I'm coming at you otherwise and I'll try my best not to call you ignorant or tell you what you need to look up in the dictionary.

    Contacts: no, that's not just like the Pre, it brings up contacts in your address book AND your GAL in the same list when you start typing. No "extras steps" as you like to say. Click one and you're done.

    You can count "steps" until the cows come home, but two buttons and a trackball are not easier than swiping left and right.

    Notifications: they come up whether or not your'e operating the device, they give you an indication of what kind of message it is, what account it's from, the subject and if it's an SMS you can read it. All without touching a thing. If they come up when I AM using the phone and I ignore them they step aside and wait until I get back to them, so I don't derail the train from what I'm doing. And that's NOT third party.

    I believe what he is referring to is that if your Pre screen timed out and is off, the screen will not come back on to alert you that a new message has arrived unless you are receiving a call. Other than the new call indication your device will not alert you to a new notification. The device will alert you via sound or vibration but you only get one of each so if you have your phone on silent you will not be alerted at all. Additionally I noted that with the Pre the alarm notification is very unreliable. For example one morning I awoke to my Blackberry alarm and was perplexed as to why my Pre alarm had not gone off when it was certainly set before I went to sleep. I checked the Pre and realized that because I turned off the notifications on the Pre so that they would not wake me up, the "alarm" was considered a regular notification as well and therefore gave no notification other than the screen turned on. I must give the Pre kudos for the depth of the notifications in that not only does it indicate you have them but you can click on them to take you into the actual app. Now that is very intuitive!!!

    I never said the Pre was a better device or implied that it shouldn't be better for you. I simply took exception to your characterization of interfacing and am filling in some blanks I think you left out in your zeal to get back to your BB. I believe if you read back through my posts I've made it plain that I know there's missing functionality. Not even going to argue that - you're right. However you refuse to concede even the possibility that it might be a little easier to get around on the Pre than on a BB and with each successive response continue to mischaracterize how the device works.

    You're right, I don't know you. "It's not even close" is my perspective on ease of use, am I not allowed that in your thread?

    objective definition | Dictionary.com

    ob⋅jec⋅tive  /əbˈdʒɛktɪv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uhb-jek-tiv]
    not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion

    Umm, did you look it up?
    But you are right on many points though...
    Last edited by JR_Rider; 07/10/2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Incorrect formatting
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions