Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The manager of my local Corp. Store said he had some tips he wanted to send me he had been getting from Palm. These came to me in seven E-mails, which I combined. Many of them I have seen here, but there are some I had missed. Check it out:

Pre: Turn Me On - There are 3 ways to Power Up the Pre
    1. Tap the Power Button
    2. Slide the Keyboard Out, note you don’t have to unlock with keyguard.
    3. When the Keyboard is out, press any key on the keyboard

Remember that the Power Button does the following
    1. Sleep on/off with a press
    2. Press and Hold for 5 Seconds to Shut Down or Enter Flight Mode
    3. On an incoming call the First Press mutes the Ringer, Second Press Ignores the call

There are 2 Ways to enter Flight Mode
    1. Press and Hold the power button for 5 seconds and Press “Enter Flight Mode”
    2. Tap the Battery/Signal Strength icons in the upper Right then Tap Turn On Airplane Mode

Note that you can also turn On/Off WiFi and Bluetooth from this Menu

Subject: Flag me now or Flag me later
    Here is a trick to make you forget (for a second or two) that you can’t search email:

Last week when traveling I would flag all the emails that I would need to recall when on the road. For example, My travel literary, and a few important emails on where I was to be and when...

1. Launch the email application
    2. Tap the email menu in the upper left
    3. Tap Preferences & Accounts
    4. Turn ON All Flagged

You will now have an additional inbox that will contain only flagged messages from all your email accounts. If you don’t get to patriotic and don’t plant too many flags within your email it’s very easy to find what you marked.

You can set the flag for the email your reading on the Pre as-well, just bring down the Email menu and tap Set Flag.

This is just an Idea, This of course only works with mail still on the server and not filed away locally on your PC.

Subject: Pre: String on my finger
    Did you know, that if you edit a contact and fill in a phrase in the Reminder field, you will see a memory balloon banner message when the person Calls, SMS, or Instant Messages you?

1. Tap Contacts
    2. Tap Edit
    3. Scroll down to the Reminder field
    4. Tap the Reminder field
    5. Fill in quick reminder
    6. Tap Done

So now you can add an important reminder to identify incoming Calls from important people.

Pre: Banners Everywhere
    Did you know that the Banners notifications have two tap points. The Icon and the Text.. For example, when an email notification comes up, if you tap the email Icon within the notification it will take you to the inbox of that account. If you tap the Text next to the icon, it will take you to that message.

Pre: Speedy Dialer
    Want to know how to set up a Speed Dial on your new Pre? Here’s how:
    1. Find the contact that you want to assign to a key on the keyboard by launching the contact application and searching for the person you want to set up as a Speed Dial.
    2. View the contact by tapping on it from the list
    3. Tap the Contact Menu in the upper Left corner
    4. Select Set Speed Dial
    5. Pick the Phone number that you want to set to the speed dial.
    6. Pick the Speed Dial Key you want to press. The open keys have “+ Add Speed Dial” next to the key. When one is already assigned you will see the actual phone number assigned to it. (Note that when you return to the contact, you will visually see the speed dial set under the number).
    7. Now you can press and hold that key from your wallpaper, while looking at the launcher, in card view, and within the Phone application

Want to create a quick way to call someone without remember a Speed Dial Key? Use a Favorite.
    1. Find the contact that you want to set as a Favorite and see in the launcher within the Contact application
    2. View the contact by tapping on it from the list
    3. Tap the Contact Menu in the upper Left corner
    4. Select Add to Launcher
    5. Now when you look at the launcher, you will see this contacts name along with their picture.
    6. Tap on it to see all their phone numbers and Tap on the number to dial, or tap SMS to send a quick text.

Pre: Gold Star your Favorite inbox
    Have you noticed the Gold Star in the Favorite Grouping within the email application? This Gold Star is how you designate a favorite folder such as the inbox by default. If you have a favorite folder on the server you want to see when looking at the Favorite group, Make the Star Gold, and it will appear. Take the Gold Star away and it will disappear from the favorite group.

In any case, you can always see all the folders on the server within the Account Group by revealing with the blue arrow.

Pre: Customizing the Phone Application
    Normally when you are looking at the dial pad within the phone application you can dial just numbers. If you look at the Top Right Corner there is a Phone Book icon, tap it and you can search for a contact to dial..

What if you want that behavior all the time? To be able to just search when looking at the dial pad, we have a preference for that!

• Within the Phone Preferences you can turn on Show Contact Matches, now when you type letters it automatically searches your contacts right from the dial pad.

Don’t forget you can also card the phone application and use Universal Search!

Pre: I can’t hear you
    So, as you might have already suspected, there are different volume levels for different application types.

1. Audio / Visual Volume Control that is set in the Music, Video, or any A/V application with the side Volume keys. This is displayed visually as Music Notes with levels. This includes You Tube, any thing A/V.
    2. Ringer Volume, which is controlled anywhere but A/V applications using the side Volume Keys or in the Sound & Ringtone Preferences. This is displayed visually as a Bell with levels.
    3. Phone Volume (Speaker, Ear Piece, Bluetooth), which is controlled while on a Phone call using the side Volume keys. This is displayed visually as a Speaker with levels.
    4. System Sounds Clanks, Calendar alarms, and Alarm Clock alarms, set in the Sound & Ringtones Preferences using the slider.

Ringer Switch mutes all systems sounds including Clanks, Calendar Alarms, and incoming Call rings. It does NOT mute any Audio/Visual sounds or the Alarm Clock!

Pre: A Picture is worth a thousand words

Want a Screen Shot for a Presentation? Use Orange + SYM + P and the Pre will capture the screen in both PNG and JPG format. You can find the screen shots located in the “screencaptures” folder on the USB drive.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Nice summary. For those of us who don't have one yet.
    Thanks, man. There were several that I didn't know.
    Soon to be added to that, "Don't carry your Pre in your pants pocket"
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

A lot of good info. Thanks.
    Good work!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thanks Tommyt. All were helpful and some that I didn't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Soon to be added to that, "Don't carry your Pre in your pants pocket"
    "carry it in your hand like a celebrity!"

Not only will you actually be able to notice when it rings, you will get to enjoy that excellent riverstone inspired design!
    Someone needs to add the content to a Sticky.
    wow. thank you very much

question, when on screen dialer is on, and i have the smart dialer enabled, it does not do a contact search on the dialer screen. can you explain?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    great info, thanks!
    When in the Phone app (Contact matches On), if you start typing a contact it will bring up matches. When the one you want is highlighted, just hit the "enter/return" key on the keyboard and the call is placed.
    Awesome, so we can turn off texts and call ringers WITHOUT silencing the alarm clock at the same time? AWESOME.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtdog View Post
    When in the Phone app (Contact matches On), if you start typing a contact it will bring up matches. When the one you want is highlighted, just hit the "enter/return" key on the keyboard and the call is placed.

contact matches is on, searching a name on dial pad, no name comes up? any idea?
    Ringer Switch mutes all systems sounds including Clanks, Calendar Alarms, and incoming Call rings. It does NOT mute any Audio/Visual sounds or the Alarm Clock!

So does this mean that if you are in a meeting, there is no way to turn off the sounds for text messages and emails, etc, by using the ringer switch? What exactly is meant by "Audio/Visual" sounds?
    I believe "Audio/Visual" sounds is referring to A/V applications (such as Music, Videos, Youtube). So yes you Can silence your Pre if you were in a meeting via the ringer switch. As long as you aren't in one of those apps during this time, only other audible thing would be the alarm clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    contact matches is on, searching a name on dial pad, no name comes up? any idea?
    Typing on the keyboard finds textual matches, typing on the onscreen dialpad will only dial numbers.
    sprint has tips and EVEN classes for the pre!!! wow just wow i can see myself there asking "sir can i hook up my pre to pc bluetooth style or can i send a friend(700p owner) a picture or a ringer(oops sprint wants us to get ringers online HA) or check this one out im in palm pre class and my pre is set to silent but still makes sounds hahahahah

god i hate this phone so much aghhhhhhhhhh and i paid 75 for a ****ty charger that sells for $100 on ebay what a SCAM

oh well i gotta wait for a check from sprint cuz i got my money back and my OLD PLAN BACK

700p over pre
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    A lot of useful information here. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post

So does this mean that if you are in a meeting, there is no way to turn off the sounds for text messages and emails, etc, by using the ringer switch? What exactly is meant by "Audio/Visual" sounds?
    I just tested this and no, you will not get a sound, with the ringer switch off, if you get a text or call. Like the other poster said, the only sounds you will get are the alarm clock (which I just tested too, and it sounds with the ringer switch off) and music or video from the music and video players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast