1.    #1  
    When the iPhone first came out there were Keyboard complaints, data plans issues, so-so battery life, missing features, spotty reception, lines in front of stores you'd think I was talking about the Pre but these are some of the complaints mentioned at the launch of the iPhone in 2007. So all you people starting threads about how awful the Pre is because there are some bugs (that will be addressed) and mouthing off about how great the iPhone is try to remember how imperfect the iPhone was back then. I've posted this before but some of you obviously haven't seen it.

Pogue:
    "The iPhone is revolutionary; itís flawed."
    The New York Times | The iPhone Matches Most of Its Hype

Mossberg:
    "Our verdict is that, despite some flaws and feature omissions, the iPhone is, on balance, a beautiful and breakthrough handheld computer. Its software, especially, sets a new bar for the smart-phone industry, and its clever finger-touch interface, which dispenses with a stylus and most buttons, works well, though it sometimes adds steps to common functions."
    The iPhone Is a Breakthrough Handheld Computer | Walter S. Mossberg and Katherine Boehret | The Mossberg Solution | AllThingsD

USA Today:
    "A slender fashion phone, a slick iPod and an Internet experience unlike any before it on a mobile handset.Still, iPhone isn't perfect, or even the most ideal smartphone for every user. It's pricey. It lacks certain features found on some rival devices. AT&T's coverage was spotty in some areas I tested over the past two weeks. Your employer may prevent you from receiving corporate e-mail on the device."
    Apple's iPhone isn't perfect, but it's worthy of the hype - USATODAY.com
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    What a confusing message. We aren't supposed to compare the iphone to the pre, but we are supposed to compare the pre to the iphone?
    If other phones get bashed at launch, why not the pre?
    He's just saying that a phone with a brand new OS won't be perfect. Relax.
    If the phone has issues, it should be bashable. I am quite relaxed, btw.
    Apple didn't have a 13yr history in the PDA/mobile market...

and some of those issues are quite glaring. To just assume they'll be taken care is not a luxury everyone has when you have 30 days to decide. Some of the issues some have might be business decisions on Palm's part that we'll just have to live with if we keep the Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetThug View Post
    No harm intended. I think bashing is in order - in fact, it probably helps Palm correct these issues. It brings the biggest issues to light and allows Palm to focus on what is irking the users the most.
    If consumers dont complain, companies dont fix. Sorry it bothers you. But it is an essential part of our market.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetThug View Post
    This thread was assuming that people know the difference between constructive criticism which I'm in favor of and bashing. This thread is talking about people who are just whining, not being realistic and have no intention of being constructive. The "This phone sux, I'm taking it back" without intelligently knowing about the issues of purchasing a first generation device. It's like wanting a dog and bringing home a puppy and expecting it to be potty trained and respond to all commands.

Coming to sites like this and actively joining in discussions for the intent to find fixes and report bugs is a necessary part of dealing with a first generation phone. I can understand the frustration of some people who expect everything to be perfect out of the box. But if they're reading the discussions on this site they'll know there already are some fixes to their problems. It's dismissive to bash a fledgling device like the Pre and compare it to the iPhone without understanding that it too went through growing pains. And that is what I'm trying to convey.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    If consumers dont complain, companies dont fix. Sorry it bothers you. But it is an essential part of our market.
    Can whole heartedly agree with that. I just find it funny that Iphone consumers do the same about their phone....but Apple will only make changes when Apple feels the need to.

Not even bashing, but how long have iphone consumers pleaded for MMS, Push notifications, multitasking...all things other pda's have been doing for a good amount of time???

And one HUGE downfall(Couldnt think of a better word) for Apple(Unless they change their mind) is when Adobe is able to release full Flash on WebOs and other phones, possibly near end of the year. Dont remember the exact article, but Apple has already commented and said they are not doing this in any near future.

Its just so funny that most Iphoners look the other way when Apple says, no we will NOT have an app for that.
  11.    #11  
    The other point of this thread is to calm people down by showing them a "flawed" device like the iPhone can come out of the gates with problems but end up a great phone. The Pre isn't for everyone but those willing to hang in there will be rewarded with a killer phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    The other point of this thread is to calm people down by showing them a "flawed" device like the iPhone can come out of the gates with problems but end up a great phone. The Pre isn't for everyone but those willing to hang in there will be rewarded with a killer phone.
    Probably not going to happen though....I frequent other various types of forum boards...and it usually always end up the same. Smart, informative, post/posters became far and few. The boards usually end up in some bash war.

Its the internet, where every person feels they can be the toughest in the world.

But to sum it up, every one comparing the Iphone vs. the Pre feels that the Pre is a failure cause it hasnt immediately knocked the Iphone from the top.

Now realistically, who in the world expected this to happen in the first month, let alone the first week?? Just the same as when the Iphone came out....it wasnt automatic king of the cell phone world.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    But to sum it up, every one comparing the Iphone vs. the Pre feels that the Pre is a failure cause it hasnt immediately knocked the Iphone from the top.

Now realistically, who in the world expected this to happen in the first month, let alone the first week?? Just the same as when the Iphone came out....it wasnt automatic king of the cell phone world.
    I definitely agree with what you're saying. I think a lot of people assume the iPhone was always great. Not everyone reads reviews or even remembers them after a couple of years. And I don't want this site to be clogged with bashing and flame wars. This site should be for constructive discourse. Moderators maybe we need a new forum for this kind of banter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    What a confusing message. We aren't supposed to compare the iphone to the pre, but we are supposed to compare the pre to the iphone?
    Ha ha - it's better than that: We're not supposed to compare the Pre and the iPhone G or GS. We're supposed to compare the 2009 Pre with the 2007 iPhone so we can call it "fair." Why not just compare the 2009 Pre to the 2002 Treo 300? Except for the quality of the PIM apps, you might win that comparison?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Its not so much "don't compare it with the iphone"....its "don't expect the 1st generation Pre and WebOS that's 5 days old to be absolutely on par in every single way with a 2+ year old phone and OS".

Ultimately, if you're wanting something that does the most of everything right now and don't care about multitasking or a keyboard...yeah, get the iphone. If you think the "Floor" at entry for the Pre is higher than the iPhone's was and that it will follow a similar trajectory then you don't get locked into a 2 year contract with AT&T so you're stuck watching the Pre as it gains ground and potentially surpasses the iphone in areas that are important to you.

Yes...the Pre isn't going to have, for example, 10,000 apps when it first comes out. Neither did the iPhone. Its not ridiculous to point that out, its ridiculous however to slam the Pre for it.
    I completely agree, but you have to remember that today out in the market the Pre isnt competing with the original EDGE iPhone, it is competing with a mature 3rd generation product with an established market share. That might not be 'fair' but it is what it is and Palm needs to be aware of that and launch a product that can compete with the iPhone of today or they might as well just give up.
  17.    #17  
    Compare all you want, I never said anything about that. I'm only talking about nonconstructive bashing. It's hard not to compare.
  18.    #18  
    The title of this Thread is "Stop Bashing..."
    "bashing" doesn't mean the same thing as "compare"

Bashing
    Bashing is a harsh, gratuitous, predjudicial attack on a person, group or subject. Literally, bashing is a term meaning to hit or, colloquially, to assault but when it is used as a suffix, or in conjunction with a noun indicating the subject being attacked, it is normally used to imply a sense of uncompromising vehemence and bigotry about the assailant.Topics which attract bashing tend to be personally sensitive topics for the bashers, the victims or both. They also tend to be highly partisan issues. Common areas include religion, nationality, sexuality, politics and topics of critical appraisal within fandom.
    people need to stop comparing the Pre to the iphone and let it exist on its own merits and its own heritage in which the iphone had zero heritage. As a consumer I would have less expectations with a newphone and OS from a company like Apple compared to a company like Palm. Granted PalmOS was on life support and the product of a different era that worked beautifully on less than modern equipment, it still had simplistic functionality not really matched by any other PDA or mobile OS. So when Palm finally brings about an evolutionary OS and seemingly disregards many of the things that made that OS great, it's hard to remain that optimistic they are just going to fix those deficiencies. Not one of us knows what features were intentionally left out and what ones might get added on in an update, what ones are being worked on and what ones shall remain forgotten or relied upon by a 3rd party. And that's even saying a 3rd party could add that functionality. If the fields don't exist in that particular part of the PIM (say a category), then a 3rd party can't manipulate that information because it just doesn't exist. Do I want to see the Pre succeed? Of course. This saying that people throw around, "the Pre isn't for everyone", is just the biggest crock of **** I've heard. I've seen it spewed from more people on here, and it's such a defensive fanboy response to defend a lack of innate functionality. People bash and criticize because they/we/I had higher expectations for Palm based off of their history and their own self proclaimed hype, plain and simple.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Its not so much "don't compare it with the iphone"....its "don't expect the 1st generation Pre and WebOS that's 5 days old to be absolutely on par in every single way with a 2+ year old phone and OS".

Ultimately, if you're wanting something that does the most of everything right now and don't care about multitasking or a keyboard...yeah, get the iphone. If you think the "Floor" at entry for the Pre is higher than the iPhone's was and that it will follow a similar trajectory then you don't get locked into a 2 year contract with AT&T so you're stuck watching the Pre as it gains ground and potentially surpasses the iphone in areas that are important to you.

Yes...the Pre isn't going to have, for example, 10,000 apps when it first comes out. Neither did the iPhone. Its not ridiculous to point that out, its ridiculous however to slam the Pre for it.
    I think I tried earlier....but couldnt have said it any better than this.