1.    #1  
    I am going to give an honest opinion and review of the Pre. My background is I have been with Sprint for 10 1/2 years and had multitude of phones. My last phone was my first venture into the smartphone arena. I got the HTC Touch for Sprint. I thought it was great, but like everyone else I was looking for something better. I don't want to leave Sprint because my plan I have for both my wife and myself is way to good to give up. I might of thought about getting the iPhone, if it was on the Sprint network, but that won't happen. For the first time that I can remember I was excited about a phone from Sprint. The only other time is when the Motorola Timeport came out. But since I saw the Pre in January, I knew I wanted it. I have been driving my wife nuts ever since talking about when it will come out. I really love gadgets. In the past few months I got into Facebook and Twitter. Great to find friends after all these years. Well enough of my background. Now on to my review.

First the Phone itself.

Reception: I have had no problems with reception so far. I seems to be on par with the HTC Touch that I had. I have noticed the bars jumping a lot, but when I ran ##debug# I was able to see the signal was pretty strong in the 70's. I never worry about bars, it doesn't give a good representation of reception. I have seen that from my older phones.

Call Quality: All I can go by is my wife and some friends. When I ask them how do I sound, they tell it is fine, no hiss, seems clear. This include through the speaker phone.

Contacts: The integration was pretty easy. The only thing I don't like is that you can't go directly to a letter. If I am looking for Home, I have to scroll down to get to it. There is no option to go directly to H. Other than that, it does scroll pretty easy. (UPDATE: You type a letter on the keyboard and that will bring up letter you are looking for)

Web: The web seem pretty good. Still learning the gesture to make it bigger and smaller. The web did crash a few times switching from one site to another. Also it was a little slow going from portrait to landscape. It wasn't right away. It seemed to take about 5 seconds. Facebook works well through the browser though. Believe or not, I am using the iPhone link for Facebook, and it works really well.

App Store: So far not bad. It seems to work well. 25 apps so far that work pretty well. I can only guess how good it will be in 6 months.

Heating Issue: I have noticed when I use Pandora or using the web a lot, the back seems to get pretty warm. I think my Touch did the same thing. I guess the processor is running pretty hot, just like a computer.

Screen is gorgeous.

Photo's are gorgeous, but they load and focus slowly. Once loaded, they look great. I think this could be fixed with a firmware update.

Camera takes decent pictures. It will never be a substitute for a stand alone, but it does the job. It definitely takes a better picture than the Touch.

Interface is nice, but sometimes slow. Sometimes opening a program takes a few seconds. I really think sometimes the phones get confused. I have had problems where multiple apps have opened even though I only hit one to open. I think the touch area may be too sensitive at times.

I like having all my emails in one place. It seems to work very well. I love seeing my emails in full HTML.

DialPad seems to work well and answering the phone is easy.

I love the unlocking by sweeping up, I think that is fun.

I haven't really used the calendar yet so I can't review that.

Now the important stuff, battery life: I turned my phone on this morning at 7:30 AM et and it is now 8:55 PM. I am at 37%

This is what I have done today with the phone. I have talked about 2 hours total on the phone to my wife and my sister today. I have gone on the internet on and off most of the day. I have used Pandora while I walked my dog around the block. I have tinkered with Suduko and weather app. I watched a little Sprint TV with my daughter. I even uses Google maps. Plus I tried out all the codes. I don't think 37% is not that bad for all that use. I also used Facebook and the Twitter App. I did follow the forum and tweaked my settings to get the most of the battery. Can the battery life be better yes. Is it the worst battery I have ever had? NO. Could an extended battery help? Yes. Batteries have always been issues with smartphones either bad or good. The difference is you can get another battery for a PRE.

Overall the device has a lot of promise. Is it perfect, NO. But with a few updates to the firmware and programs it could get better. Who knows, we might get video for the camera, video voicemail and faster UI response time. The Apps will come.

I know this is not the most in depth review but it is a non professional point of view.

Sorry forgot about the keyboard. This is my first qwerty keyboard I have ever used. I had no problems typing on it at all. I have fat fingers and I though it was fine. I guess if you been typing on a phone for a while you get use to what you have. Because I have nothing to compare it too, I thought it was fine.

Sorry about the novel.
    Last edited by dfine1966; 06/09/2009 at 08:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Nice. I've been with Sprint for over 10 years as well and pretty much concur on what you've found.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Contacts: The integration was pretty easy. The only thing I don't like is that you can't go directly to a letter. If I am looking for Home, I have to scroll down to get to it. There is no option to go directly to H. Other than that, it does scroll pretty easy.
    Not sure if you know this but in contacts if you start typing an H it'll filter out everything that doesn't have an H, which is effectively close enough (for me at least) to doing that.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not sure if you know this but in contacts if you start typing an H it'll filter out everything that doesn't have an H, which is effectively close enough (for me at least) to doing that.
    No, I didn't know that. Thanks. I am still reading the manual, fun, fun.
    Welp, I agree with your review, but the battery is utterly bad my phone was completely dead, but 2pm today, started using it at 8:30am. Granted I playing with the phone pretty heavy IE watching TV, playing APPs, texting, but cmon that's horrible probably 3 hours of play time if that!
    The earpiece on my Pre seems to be muddy sounding when I talk on the phone like everyone I talked to has their voice muffled.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    The earpiece on my Pre seems to be muddy sounding when I talk on the phone like everyone I talked to has their voice muffled.
    I notice you have to hold it at the right angle or it sounds like that.
    My battery life has been completely different from yours. Starting at around 7:00am this morning, my battery was at 30% by 3:00pm. Had I not charged it, it would have been dead sometime before 5:00pm.

I actually consider this discrepancy to be a positive. It means to me that there's some variability in either hardware or software that can be resolved on way or another, and that the phone is really capable of better performance. I have no problem whatsoever with waiting to see the problem solved.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Nice Post! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I don't want to leave Sprint because my plan I have for both my wife and myself is way to good to give up
    So are you saying that you activated the pre on your old plan???