1.    #1  
    Hi all.
    This is supposed to be an open forum, but things are totally out of control.

People are posting all over the place that the launch was botched, the Pre is a beta device, it feels like a toy, etc.. just because it doesn't fit their particular needs.

The phone is not for everyone, but to exaggerate and bash the phone is not helping anything. Legitimate posts about what you don't like, without ranting, are more than welcome.

At the same time, there are those that are flaming people that don't like the phone.
    Again it's not for everyone, people are entitled to their opinion.
    Don't flame people because what they like is not the same as what you like.

Not everyone that doesn't like the Pre is a troll.

Personally, I love this damn thing.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    ^ lol
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I totally agree with all this bashing! I was even pissed at Apple for talking crap. How many apps did they have in their app store at their launch? It would have taken some class to admit there is another company out there with a real chance of moving forward and not just adding video or navigation.

All the iPhone users out there should be thanking Sprint and Palm! Its only make Apple step up their game and reduce their prices.

I think this phone has a lot of promise. Is it perfect, hell no. If it was i'd be mad it wasnt released earlier!

Remember who makes the products and apps the best they can be. The customer through reviews and suggestions.

Why does everyone have to be so negative?
    You have a very good point. There are no such thing as Trolls.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    listing your detailed issues with the device is not bashing. and why is anyone taking this stuff personally? it's just a friggin phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    it's just a friggin phone!

BLASPHEMY!!!

Seriously though, your post about moving back the Centro was coherent and well thought out from a long time forum member. Exactly what the forums are for. The problem is all the pinheads with 7 days membership time whining and double posting on 'why I am not keeping the Pre' topics.

If I tried to do the same thing on an iPhone board I would fully expect to get my *** handed to me. Why should it be any different here?
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    why is anyone taking this stuff personally? it's just a friggin phone!
    No it's not! It's their first born you are talking about.
    listing your detailed issues with the device is not bashing. and why is anyone taking this stuff personally? it's just a friggin phone!
    I blame the schools.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I totally agree with all this bashing! I was even pissed at Apple for talking crap. How many apps did they have in their app store at their launch?
    They (Apple) had close to 600 apps at launch.

Just sayin..

Actually, I said it in an earlier post. A lot of people buy these phones without researching the capabilities. The Store just want to sell them, it's not like they will discuss the finer points of the phone. "Yes it does SMS sir!" whereas the customer assumes, Hey, I should be able to assign different tones to them. And doesn't read the plethora of reviews available before the phone launched. to find out, no you can't. (just an example).

And then you have those that bash for the sake of bashing.. or the guys that post threads titled "Returned my Pre and back to the BB", etc.. who cares, this is a Pre forum, not a BB forum. Go tell the BB forum that you came back.

I guess I'm a little grouchy today, not sure why as I LOVE my freakin' Pre!
    Last edited by tialoc; 06/09/2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: More content
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
    There's an obvious difference between posting an issue with an eye toward hoping it will get resolved, merely venting, and trolling. Obviously, I think everyone here welcomes constructive criticism. Venting even has its place--so many of us waited six months for the Pre, and some folks even longer than that, and so it's natural to express disappointment at missing features and bugs.

But trolling--that is, the posting of intentionally controversial comments with no purpose other than to incite conflict--aren't welcome in just about any forum. They're nothing but disruptive, and really detract from the usefulness of a forum to those who visit looking for real information, solutions, and camaraderie.

And there's a fine line between venting and trolling--I think, if you've decided you don't want the product around which a forum is centered, then simply return it and get on with your life. There's very little value to anyone--yourself included--in posting that you're returning the product for this or that limitation or issue, unless you've identified something unique that others might benefit from knowing.

This is a bit preachy, I know, but I agree that the forum has devolved into something a bit ugly lately, and I'd love to see it return to what it was a week ago--a (mostly) positive and (mostly) friendly place to discuss all of our latest obsession. And with that, I'm stepping down from my soapbox.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

If you see a "troll" post and its title upsets you.... don't click on it! Your problem is solved!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The only opinions I dislike are the ones by people who don't own the device they are BASHING or PRAISING. There aren't many of those on this site, but the ones that are here are really trying hard to make it known.

Love/Hate the Pre/iPhone? Fine, but if you don't own one then why are you so opinionated on it? Those are the people I don't understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    BLASPHEMY!!!

Seriously though, your post about moving back the Centro was coherent and well thought out from a long time forum member. Exactly what the forums are for. The problem is all the pinheads with 7 days membership time whining and double posting on 'why I am not keeping the Pre' topics.

If I tried to do the same thing on an iPhone board I would fully expect to get my *** handed to me. Why should it be any different here?
    i appreciate that. i tried to just lay it all out there and call it the way i see it. it should be pretty obvious that i WANTED to like the phone. i've been a Palm user since 1999. i have NEVER bought ANY Apple or BB product. i did once buy a Casio CE Wince PDA in 1999 that i returned for a Palm III. ever since then, it's been Palm. i have no agenda and no reason to lie - yet the fanboys bash me - over a PHONE.
    actually, mine's just a paperweight at the moment. It's amazing for all the fun people poke at iphone and apple fanboys, they can't take seeing that same image when they look in the mirror. I was and possibly still could be such a Pre advocate. Then as all this new info surfaced over the past month my rose colored glasses got tossed in the trash and reality set in, realizing as much as I want to have some fun with my phone, it is a business device first. And regardless of the fact that Palm says this isn't a pure business device, I don't see how they abandon their 13yr old OS and manage to take quite a few steps backward with the basic functionality of their new OS. I think the fact that so many people (that are probably long time Palm OS users) have issues with the phone says something. If people want to keep on their rose colored glasses, fine. Just don't tell others they need to put theirs back on. Not directed to you G, just expanding...

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    actually, mine's just a paperweight at the moment. It's amazing for all the fun people poke at iphone and apple fanboys, they can't take seeing that same image when they look in the mirror. I was and possibly still could be such a Pre advocate. Then as all this new info surfaced over the past month my rose colored glasses got tossed in the trash and reality set in, realizing as much as I want to have some fun with my phone, it is a business device first. And regardless of the fact that Palm says this isn't a pure business device, I don't see how they abandon their 13yr old OS and manage to take quite a few steps backward with the basic functionality of their new OS. I think the fact that so many people (that are probably long time Palm OS users) have issues with the phone says something. If people want to keep on their rose colored glasses, fine. Just don't tell others they need to put theirs back on. Not directed to you G, just expanding...
    Very well put and I think accurate.
    1st gen not the 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by tialoc View Post
    They (Apple) had close to 600 apps at launch.

Just sayin..

Actually, I said it in an earlier post. A lot of people buy these phones without researching the capabilities. The Store just want to sell them, it's not like they will discuss the finer points of the phone. "Yes it does SMS sir!" whereas the customer assumes, Hey, I should be able to assign different tones to them. And doesn't read the plethora of reviews available before the phone launched. to find out, no you can't. (just an example).

And then you have those that bash for the sake of bashing.. or the guys that post threads titled "Returned my Pre and back to the BB", etc.. who cares, this is a Pre forum, not a BB forum. Go tell the BB forum that you came back.

I guess I'm a little grouchy today, not sure why as I LOVE my freakin' Pre!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    yep. there wasn't an app for that at the original launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    1st gen not the 3G.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    1st gen not the 3G.
    Well then think of it this way: Apple's app store has always had more apps than any other phone has had in their app store. Apple's slide depicting this in the WWDC keynote made that graphically clear ... by several orders of magnitude.

Oh - and they published a SDK before they opened their app store - that's a nice trick if you want to launch a store with something on the shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by gekko View Post
    listing your detailed issues with the device is not bashing. And why is anyone taking this stuff personally? It's just a friggin phone!
    exactly!!!