1.    #1  
    OK, it seems everyone is asking the same questions.

With the new iPhone specs being released yesterday and my being unable to get my hands on a Pre, the iPhone might win.

However, because on a monthly basis Sprint's plan is cheaper overall. Even though I have to give up my grandfathered $10 unlimited data plan, my current total bill after tax is $75. That's with the $7 insurance and $10 text messaging. So with this new Simply Everything Plan, I will increase to about $85 - $90.

ATT's iPhone has the same plan, $69 but without the text messaging, which you have to pay extra for and to get unlimited text messages, it costs an extra $20.

So that's $69 for Sprint and $89 for ATT!

Now granted the new iPhone has a lot more features and it finally offers things that my old Treo 650 has had.

But I am surprised that the Pre is not able to take videos and the new iPhone will be able to now.

Does anyone know if the new Pre can be upgraded to do these things or would we have to purchase the next version of the Pre.

I guess my main question, is how upgradeable did they make this Pre to add some of the features left out. Obviously, they will fix the bugs (we hope).

And the missing external memory slot is a total bummer.

Why did they do that?

So because of these few shortcomings, I am having a hard time not getting the iPhone over the Pre.

I want the Pre but Apple finally seem to provide me with what I want.

Except, that physical keyboard, that's one of the show stoppers.

So any advice on how to make the decision would be appreciated.

I listed some of the questions and things that concern me, for you to comment on to help me.

Rob

PS I went to a Sprint store (on 23rd in NYC) and took a test drive, mainly playing around with the keyboard. I was able to type on it about as good as my old Treo 650, so it does pass that test. It is totally usable, for those concerned with that.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Video recording will definitely be possible. The OS is very upgradeable.

The real question is how long can you wait for those features?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I want the Pre but Apple finally seem to provide me with what I want.

Except, that physical keyboard, that's one of the show stoppers.
    It seems like you are leaning more toward the iPhone at this point.
    One thing I would suggest is trying a friend's out, or spend some time with a demo unit to see how you like the software keyboard.

I thought the software keyboard was fine, but I personally like the hardware keyboard on the Pre better.

What cell phone to get is a very personal decision. Best advice is to check on coverage in your area and try the different phones out for yourself.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    The getting for me in the fact that Sprint in my area (Long Island, NY) is hands down the best coverage for a cell provider and I get more than double the rates my friends do with their Iphone 3Gs. AT&T is spotty at best w/ subpar data speeds here and T-Mobile w/ their G1 has such horrible service around here there is no point in owning the phone with that provider..

I used to have a Sanyo M1 that I would tether to my laptop and the speeds were great.
  5.    #5  
    Surprise, I ended up with a Pre, still in learn phase
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)