Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone moved from the Touch Pro to the Pre? I like my Touch Pro, but the Pre looks sweet....anyone made the switch and have thoughts?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Has anyone moved from the Touch Pro to the Pre? I like my Touch Pro, but the Pre looks sweet....anyone made the switch and have thoughts?
    I did and boy am i glad i did...the Pre is just awesome and i'm sure you have read the reviews about it, and also the bad ones. Yeah the phone has some flaws but what phone out there doesn't!? I am sooo happy i am done with that pinwheel of death (winmo) and its lagginess. If you are debating it, i would highly suggest you try it out, you got 30 days what do u have to lose?? but u have everything to gain.

Oh yeah i guess there's one thing i do miss aobut the touch pro is its full keyboard but the Pre's isn't bad either.
    Before moving, take the time to insure the applications you want/need are available. I looked and none of the applications I routinely use are available on the Pre. I use HanDBase, Pocket Excel and DTG throughout the day and my calender needs are not met by the Pre at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Before moving, take the time to insure the applications you want/need are available. I looked and none of the applications I routinely use are available on the Pre. I use HanDBase, Pocket Excel and DTG throughout the day and my calender needs are not met by the Pre at this time.
    I do agree, I really have no use for those applications, but I'm not you, make sure you look at what you need and see if the Pre has it, and I'm sure in the next couple of months, there will be a ton of apps, especially with the SDK around the corner, its truly an amazing phone, but yes make sure you have what you need before you make your decision.
    "These Things We Do, That Others May Live"
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Same, I'm going to miss some of my applications, One very big one i use is the wmwifi router, Being able to tether to my phone using wifi was amazing. I miss it already. But man windows sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I switched from the Treo 800w and the Pre is 18.5 MILLION percent better! I only had my 800w for 7 months and had to get it replaced 3 times(read: four units in total) due to constant freezing and resetting issues. The 800 was a freaking BRICK of a phone and Palm needs to put it out of its misery!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the advice! I find myself using the basic PIM functions at work, plus the usual doc / pdf / excel stuff for reading emails. The other apps that I like the most (sprint nav, media apps) seem to be analogous on both.

I just have to be sure Wifey doesn't kill me for switching phones yet again!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I switched and am mostly pleased. I lost tethering and a few apps. Keyboard isn't as good but browser is nicer, interface smoother, and I think over time it will be just as good a platform. Battery life is about the same (youbhave to charge throughout the day with heavy use).
    I liked my the Touch Pro well enough, however, I was never really a big fan of Windows Mobile. I really the Pre and feel it has so much potential, so will stick with it.
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    world of difference after using the pre and trying to use the POS touch pro. iv had mine replaced 3 times and yesterday i couldnt stand it freezing when i needed it most so i banged the hell out of it lol..the keyboard was great but windows mobile is not
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Yesterday, my son couldn't log onto one of his Web sites. I needed to reset his password, but don't use his system for accessing my email. With my Touch Pro, I would have gone upstairs to my office system, because I simply couldn't comfortably use the TP for accessing the Web. It was slow, cumbersome in switching apps, the Web experience was painful for me, etc.

On my Pre, however, it was as quick a process as it would have been on my PC. Opened email, clicked on the reset link, went to the Web and confirmed, then back to email for the new temp password, and then back to the Web to enter his new password. It was seamless and quick.

The Pre's not perfect, and it doesn't have some of what the TP has (certainly, Mobile Office is nice and the Mobile Outlook has all of the requisite Outlook functions that the Pre lacks). But, it simply WORKS in a way that Windows Mobile never has for me in the past. I simply can't imagine switching back to my Touch Pro--which would be impossible, because I've already sold it on eBay.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    damn that anyone upgrading from a touch pro dont turn it in to sprint store ill pay cash for it. they will only give u 100 bucks i'll give u that
    Quote Originally Posted by exstatica View Post
    Same, I'm going to miss some of my applications, One very big one i use is the wmwifi router, Being able to tether to my phone using wifi was amazing. I miss it already. But man windows sucks.

Pre can tether using WIFI...do you mean tether without having wifi on??
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    Pre can tether using WIFI...do you mean tether without having wifi on??
    By tethering we mean bridging the cellular data connection with a laptop or other computer (either wired, bluetooth, or wifi) and providing internet access where there is none.

If you already have a wifi hotspot you wouldn't need to tether. Tethering turns your cell phone into a cellular modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    By tethering we mean bridging the cellular data connection with a laptop or other computer (either wired, bluetooth, or wifi) and providing internet access where there is none.

If you already have a wifi hotspot you wouldn't need to tether. Tethering turns your cell phone into a cellular modem.
    yeah i know that but by the way he made it sound he just wanted to tether to his notebook using the wifi on his phone. This would be useful if your computer didn't have wifi on it but what computer doesn't nowadays. I just wanted to clarify for him that you can tether using ur phone's wifi but not the way you are describing.
    I hated the Touch Pro until I found ppcgeeks.com and started loading custom ROM's. This one is awesome. If you are going to keep the TP for any amount of time I would check it out. You absolutely have to try Mobile Shell 3.0 which is the best thing I've ever seen on a WM device. It actually uses a rotating card style display to switch between home screen layouts...very cool.

That being said, I bought a Pre on day 1 and have not looked back. It's really not even a fair comparison when it comes to the UI. You can do a lot of things on the TP that you can't do on the Pre but the Pre UI is just so much better. Plus, at least for me...it has not crashed yet...knock wood!
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    First thing I noticed after switching was that I missed have directional arrows on my keyboard. I like being able to go back with in text. You can do it on the Pre, but you have to hold the orange button and swipe with your finger... Which is a little awkward.

I'm still using both. Love the Pre, but it is still in Beta. The Pre doesn't have proper EAS support, and I can't Bluetooth OBEX push my contacts from the Pro to the Pre. It all kind of annoying still. The Pre has a much nicer and stable interface than the Pro, but I can do a lot of little things on the Pro, that I can't do on the Pre. Like setting a different sound for incoming texts vs. incoming email.
    i went from touch pro to pre and one of the best things is NO MORE LAG while typing

i do miss some of the apps, but the pre is way better...

i dont regret making the switch, the pre is just so much more comfy in your hand and not as big bulge in ur pocket..

it does take like a day to get used to the different style keyboard (cuz your hands have to be closer together when you type) but the beauty is you can type easily with one hand once you get used to it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    I hated the Touch Pro until I found ppcgeeks.com and started loading custom ROM's. This one is awesome. If you are going to keep the TP for any amount of time I would check it out. You absolutely have to try Mobile Shell 3.0 which is the best thing I've ever seen on a WM device. It actually uses a rotating card style display to switch between home screen layouts...very cool.

That being said, I bought a Pre on day 1 and have not looked back. It's really not even a fair comparison when it comes to the UI. You can do a lot of things on the TP that you can't do on the Pre but the Pre UI is just so much better. Plus, at least for me...it has not crashed yet...knock wood!
    Yeah I was all over that site. Juicy's ROMs and a few others were just amazing. I think the choice of ROM was the difference between those who hated their TP and those who tolerated the bugs but overall liked them.
    didn't read all the reply's...but I did and I couldn't be happier.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast