Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm going to make the switch once some of the kinks get worked out and the app catalog expands. The TP is a much better phone with a modified ROM. Mine went from "going back to Verizon" to "tolerable."
    windows mobile is barely tolerable.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EWT View Post
    I'm going to make the switch once some of the kinks get worked out and the app catalog expands. The TP is a much better phone with a modified ROM. Mine went from "going back to Verizon" to "tolerable."
    I came from HTC Touch (Vogue) and modified it with an ROM I could find to make it better, but Windows Mobile just needs a huge change!

I installed 6.5 on it but it is mostly eye candy to cover it's huge flaws!

I even played around with Windows Mobile 5 and it's pretty much the same thing!

Windows Mobile 7 has to be a radical change which is what they promised, but we'll have to see.

BTW, I have to agree that the Touch Pro keyboard is nicer than the Pre. Can't beat a landscape QWERTY.
  4.    #24  
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm on a waiting list for the Pre - I'm ready to make the jump. I'm not worried about the KB, thanks to years of Treo experience.

My biggest regret is losing the ability to use my Redfly!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    What about Touch Flow compared to WebOS guys?

My bro-in-law has a TP and he likes it alot. Touch Flow looked pretty sweet, but I haven't tried it.
    My brother has a touch pro and he is jealous, although I am jealous of some of the things he can do. But I do believe his jealousy is greater then mine. I know it is.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S. View Post
    What about Touch Flow compared to WebOS guys?

My bro-in-law has a TP and he likes it alot. Touch Flow looked pretty sweet, but I haven't tried it.
    I actually like TouchFlo a lot. It gives quick access to many of the most-used program, and it looks great! Some have reported that it slows down their Touch Pro, but I didn't see that on mine.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I switched from a Touch Pro to the Pre; here are my personal observations

Cons of switching:
    -My company's exchange server requires an inactivity PIN lock on the mobile device; TP supports this, Pre doesnt. TP even had a 3rd party app to disable the local enforcement
    -TP opens docs attached to emails, Pre reports it doesn't have an app that can open those files
    -TP had a myriad of media players, some of which supported bookmarking for audio books, Pre's only current media player cannot do this
    -TP had built-in remote desktop, no RDP app for Pre yet
    -TP copies/pastes quite well, Pre is somewhat crippled currently... but any stylus-intensive task was a pain anyways on the TP, so sometimes I'd rather not have the option of pasting interesting Web text into a message
    -TP is very customizable, as you can have many different commercial homescreens. The Pre feels like regular phones where you are stuck with the interface it came with (lucky for Palm/me, the interface is awesome)
    -TP could easily save files off the web, or FTP to my file server at home to grab audio or whatnot, the Pre can do none of this currently (not even save images like wallpapers from the browser). Where the TP completely replaced my home PC, I have to use my PC to send basic things like wallpaper and music to the Pre.

Pros of switching:
    -Pre's multitasking is smoother than any multitasking 3rd party app on the TP, built-in TP multitasking was visiting the home screen and using the HTC Task Manager in the top-right corner to list open apps. This list was very laggy when opening the list, closing programs, etc. Pre's card system is far faster and easier to use.
    -Pre takes much faster pictures
    -Pre's email client lets you view things intuitively like its browser, TP's email client blows (wish it used Opera to view emails)
    -TP took forever to auto-orientate, Pre is almost as quick as the iPhone
    -Regarding A2DP and AVRCP(sp?), the Pre automatically reconnects to my bluetooth car stereo, whereas I had to visit some menus on the TP to manually reconnect. It also automatically resumes my media player upon connecting, and pauses when disconnecting. The TP didn't do this for me without a bunch of barely-working 3rd party software
    -When listening to a media player and Sprint Navigation on the Pre, it lowers the volume of other tasks to speak directions, and then smoothly fades the other task volumes back in. The TP just mixed it how you would expect
    -Pre supports imap idle (push gmail) out-of-the-box, TP required 3rd party software which crashed often for me (Seven)
    -Capacitive multi-touch screen is very smooth (like iPhone), versus the resistant resistive touchscreen on the TP. I never used a screen protector on the TP because it had enough resistance as it is.
    -TP OEM dock was very hard to put the phone in, impossible at night. Pre/touchstone is an obvious upgrade. However, the TP dock had a slot for a 2nd battery, which I used daily... But the Pre uses less juice for me so that no longer matters.

It's a wash:
    -TP has a better hardware keyboard, but took a while to rotate to landscape... I'd rather have the portrait Pre keyboard after getting used to it the past few days
    -Pre has an app catalog to find all available applications, for the TP I had to surf all kinds of forums to find nice 3rd party offerings. There were many more offerings, however...
    -Entirely depends on how you use it, but I'd give the battery life a 5/10 on the TP, and 6/10 on the Pre for my usage pattern
    -Plugging in the miniUSB on the TP or the microUSB on the Pre is equally hard (especially in the dark), and of course the Pre has that silly door I have to slide the keyboard out to open...

I'll cut myself off here, but in summary: I'll stick with the Pre on the expectation that there will be apps that will fill my missing needs in the very near future (mostly RDP).
    Last edited by dangerusty; 06/10/2009 at 04:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a2thejay23 View Post
    i went from touch pro to pre and one of the best things is NO MORE LAG while typing

i do miss some of the apps, but the pre is way better...

i dont regret making the switch, the pre is just so much more comfy in your hand and not as big bulge in ur pocket..

it does take like a day to get used to the different style keyboard (cuz your hands have to be closer together when you type) but the beauty is you can type easily with one hand once you get used to it..
    The keyboard lag was infuriating on the touch pro. I can't understand why a 300 dollar phone can't allow me to type out text messages smoothly. It just shows you how shaky the base of Windows Mobile is.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    I switched from a Touch Pro to a Pre and will never look back. I applied many, many custom ROMs to the Touch Pro, including Windows Mobile 6.5 variants. No matter how you look at it, the custom ROMs are still Windows Mobile, and Windows Mobile lag blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    The keyboard lag was infuriating on the touch pro. I can't understand why a 300 dollar phone can't allow me to type out text messages smoothly. It just shows you how shaky the base of Windows Mobile is.
    Sounds like you need a better ROM. I never had that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    I hated the Touch Pro until I found ppcgeeks.com and started loading custom ROM's. This one is awesome. If you are going to keep the TP for any amount of time I would check it out. You absolutely have to try Mobile Shell 3.0 which is the best thing I've ever seen on a WM device. It actually uses a rotating card style display to switch between home screen layouts...very cool.

That being said, I bought a Pre on day 1 and have not looked back. It's really not even a fair comparison when it comes to the UI. You can do a lot of things on the TP that you can't do on the Pre but the Pre UI is just so much better. Plus, at least for me...it has not crashed yet...knock wood!
    I didn't like his ROM, i stuck with JMZ and The Mighty Mike ROM....

That being said, I now hate WM and love my old Palm buddies again.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I switched from the Touch Pro to the Pre and I'm glad I did. I can't think of a single thing that I miss. I had Palm OS Treos (650, 755p) for several years before that and I never happy with the Touch Pro, especially the side-slideout keyboard.

WebOS has a couple of rough spots right now, but those will be fixed in due time. That being said, it's still better today than my Touch Pro ever was.
    Also a TPro --> Pre switcher here - though I have the TPro on the other line. Have used WinMo for years. I'm so happy to be off WinMo - the core/kernel is so outdated, it's not even funny. The only thing I miss about TPro is some of the extra (but clunky) customizability, and the ability to use e-mail certificates.

Otherwise, webOS is worlds better, and the Pre is a wonderful device. I have no regrets whatsoever.
    so one question for those that have moved over... does the charger work from the touch pro (minus the proprietary cable)?
  16. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm not a big WM fan, but with a custom ROM, some tweaking and SPB shell, I have my TP working pretty well. Not much screen rotation lag, but I do get some typing lag and it still takes way too many steps to do basic tasks. Touch Flo is nice, but it uses quite a bit of memory. On VZW phones, which come gimped with less memory than other TPs, you can't do much multitasking as you run out of memory pretty quickly, so I haven't used it for awhile.

I actually prefer the Pre keyboard to the one on the TP, but I've never been a fan of horizontal slider keyboards (got the TP to get a bigger screen than you get on a Treo form factor phone). I'm gone as soon as the Pre matures a little bit though.
    I'm holding off at the moment till i see what develops for WebOS. Went to the store and played with one extensively and i was smitten but some things i do on a daily basis with my 700Wx and T.Pro the Pre can't do right now.
    Tried streaming BBC radio (rm and mms), Orb and Shoutcast and no go. I need my Skype and TomTom (Telenav doesn't cut it, sorry). Drove through a dead zone yesterday (on way to a job interview in the middle of nowhere) and it struck me that what if i had the Pre at that very moment i would have been in big doo-doo. TomTom did its job, no sweat..

Everyone keeps saying to be patient and the apps will come. Well when they do then i'll jump onboard but not anytime soon.

I think right now, the Touch Pro 2 would be a better fit for me than WebOS but the Pre is one sexy device i'll confess.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    only a few small things I miss about my Pro. Video camera, which should be fixed soon with an update, ability to ZOOM with the camera (not really why I have a cell phone though) and the damn alarm and text notification sounds, just let me change them already!!!

Otherwise, so far so good!
    This is interesting reading. I experience no typing lag on my Sprint Touch Pro. Reorientation of the screen - yep that does take a few moments when I am using one specific Excel file that has 30 tabs on it. No stability issues and am using the stock Sprint ROM (1.03 9/12/08). I run FlexMail from around 6A to 8 or 9P, the 30 tab Excel spreadsheet every working day from about 10A to 6P. Bluetooth always connected to the headset and when at home to the laptop. Really no issues. For me to go to the Pre, applications such as Excel/Word/HanDBase just gotta be there and not relying at any point on the Web. I liked what I saw and played with at the Sprint store but really the work applications are more important for me than the entertainment ones.
  20.    #40  
    I made the leap from the Touch Pro to the Pre: so far I'm very glad! Loved my Touch Pro, but the Pre is just extremely slick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast