Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The hardware onboard the Pre's TI OMAP chipset is capable of recording/encoding in real time 720x480 @ 30fps. I don't see the need for HD since the lens is the limiting factor anyways. And since the DVD quality recording is built into the hardware, I am hoping it helps with battery life.

EDIT: Sorry guys wrong thread.
    Last edited by NickDG; 06/22/2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Wrong thread.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    set pre in usb mode....drag and drop....way too easy.

thats it. i just created a folder for videos also.
    I did a coversion using DVD fab. It converted fine, I dropped and dragged to the pre, when i try to play it back it gives me an error - "there was an error playing the file" and then a "back" option. Not sure if I should try again or if I'm doing something wrong...Any one have any suggestions?
    I have used FairUse also but the latest version seems to have audio/video sync issues. I haven't been able to get the issue resolved yet. Tools4Movies has worked great though.
    Palm failed here. Yes, its amazingly easy to create a "videos" folder. It's simple to use a program to convert DVDs or other video to be played and moved into it.

BUT...the typical Pre user will not know how to do this or want to do it.

Palm's problem is leaving such things up to the user to pick a 3rd party app to accomplish these things. Palm should be blazing the path here picking a "default" simple way to do it for the masses whether its their own app or one they endorse or through a partnership with amazon. If others want to do it a different way, more power to them. It's all about recognizing that people generally are not tech savvy and need their hand held.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i use videofab converter works great for the pre
    An update on this for all:

I was able to convert Transformers 1 and Transformers 2 which came with my daughter's HTC HD2 (she doesnt want them, so, Im taking onwership of them, and she's deleting them from her phone, however, I had a similar problem as some of the above... my PC could play them, but my Pre+ wouldnt.. said "wrong file format"... could be copyright issues, or just the Pre player.. so reformatting the mp4 video files makes sense) on them by using the following method, with free software, downsized to the Pre's 320 x 480 screen.

Here is the free software (completely free.. upgrade to Pro version allows lots more options, but the Free version is more than adequate for this task):

Free MP4 Video Converter: convert video to MP4 with video to MP4 converter for iPod, iPhone, PSP, etc!

1. You want to convert the movie to an iPhone mp4 320 x 480 file format (which matches the Pre's specs perfectly)
    2. When you are done, place the Pre in "USB" mode and drag n drop them onto the Pre. (I put them in a folder named "Transformers")

The movies were downsampled frrom 480 x 800 and the playing is silky smooth and video quality on the Pre+ is superb, however I must confess, Im running Uberkernal at screentstate (500/800) with Govnah, so, I don't know how a stock Pre/Pre+ will handle these.

FYI...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

download real player to your pc(its free) and have at it. Those who can't figure out how to do this, probably need to be thinking jitterbug!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    download real player to your pc(its free) and have at it. Those who can't figure out how to do this, probably need to be thinking jitterbug!
    You know, honestly, its all about helping people, and not insulting them if they can't understand the right way to do stuff... not everyone knows everything there is to know, ...

BTW, I am far from a novice technically, and never knew that RealPLayer converted mp4s... not that Im going to download it and check... but if thats another option, terrific, then there are 2 good ones.

My suggestion above works seamlessly.

FYI...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123