Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    By the way, is there any setting on 123CopyDVD to make the movie smaller in file size? The movie I burned was almost 2 GB in size!! Maybe that accounts for why it's so sharp in quality. Also, every so often, I see some choppiness in the video, is this normal? Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I think that is the one downfall of this program ... I have not seen an option to compress the video at all. It may be in the advanced section ... When encoding instead of pressing simple try advanced and see what that does. Also I think when you encode any video there will always be some choppiness, but it hasn't been bad enough for me to notice yet.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    I think that is the one downfall of this program ... I have not seen an option to compress the video at all. It may be in the advanced section ... When encoding instead of pressing simple try advanced and see what that does. Also I think when you encode any video there will always be some choppiness, but it hasn't been bad enough for me to notice yet.
    I figured out how to burn movie size smaller! See below:

Go to Settings, Convert DVD Settings, check the box "Enable fit to size" and choose a size in drop down menu ranging from 256MB to 2048MB. Also choose dimensions for Fullscreen and Widescreen size. I chose 640x480 for Fullscreen and 720x480 for Widescreen. Then click on Apply and OK.

For example, I chose 768MB and checked box "Enable fit to size", and the entire DVD movie came out to only 691MB. However, upon playing the video, I can see some noticeable pixelation, and the quality simply isn't as good as the previous video burned at maximum resolution of 1.8GB which is like watching Hi-Def television at that extreme setting!

I will explore using an intermediate resolution setting to see if I can get a good compromise between high quality viewing versus file size.
    Casey
    Great find ... Wouldn't you want to make the widescreen size 480-320 though since that is the size and res of the pre's screen?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    Great find ... Wouldn't you want to make the widescreen size 480-320 though since that is the size and res of the pre's screen?

That's a good idea, I will try that. I simply set the screen size to maximum to see what I would get.

Even when playing back the video on my Pre at max screen dimensions, I notice a small icon at bottom right of screen for maximizing or minimizing the screen. When minimizing screen (which is only slight amount of minimization) you will then see a slider bar to advance movie to different point, as well as a play/pause button, plus you will see the title of the movie superimposed over the movie just above the slider bar.

Today, I added another huge video, plus more MP3 songs to my Pre's internal drive, and I maxed out the Pre's hard drive for the first time!! I actually got a message that read no more memory left!! Okay, when is Palm releasing a larger 16 or 32 GB model Pre?? Hyuck, hyuck!!

I really wish the Pre had an expandable memory card slot like the good old days of only 2 weeks ago!
    Casey
    Handbrake is counterintuitive and all the "free video converters" are crappy adware frontends for ffmpeg.

Try ipodME (nodadev dot wordpress dot com/pc-projects/ipodme/) for simplicity. Check lifehacker.com for others.
    Just verified from Sprint that the Pre will not play any file (music or video) that is not DRM free.

So all those videos that iTunes offers for free are NOT DRM free as I found out.

What Sprint said to do is when in iTunes goto 'properties' or 'get info' and look to see if it's DRM free. It was the first line of info on that page.

And Palm's website does list all the supported formats on the Pre:

For music it said:

You can play music that you copy from your computer or stream from the web in the following formats: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format.

For Video:

You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2 formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.

DRM free!

Hope this helps!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Just fyi...
    Movies are great, but i like to bring tv shows with me on the plane, etc.
    So i record whatever i want on my tivo, then use tivo2go to convert to ipod format automatically (whatever shows i want it to convert).
    What i end up with is a folder of mp4 shows in ipod format, sitting on my PC harddrive.
    Then we simply can copy any show we want, into the PRE via USB cable.

My wife would prefer (she has the PRE), however, that the PRE be able to connect to that PC drive over wifi, bring me up a list of the shows in that folder, and she click click click which ones she wants on the PRE, and it uploads them over the wifi.

I do that with my Archos 605wifi now, and its fantabulous. I guess one day the PRE will have local file management wireless apps like the iPhone does.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Hey guys,

We just released an updated version of doubleTwist for MacOS X that supports the Palm Pre. With doubleTwist you can drag and drop videos to your device and they'll be automatically converted to the correct format for your device.

www . doubletwist . com (sorry, couldn't post a real link as my post count is too low)

doubleTwist for Windows also works with the Pre although it gets detected as an iPod. We'll be releasing an update later this week so that it gets properly detected as a Pre :-)

Disclaimer: I'm the co-founder of doubleTwist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jon
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by JonLech View Post
    Hey guys,

We just released an updated version of doubleTwist for MacOS X that supports the Palm Pre. With doubleTwist you can drag and drop videos to your device and they'll be automatically converted to the correct format for your device.

www . doubletwist . com (sorry, couldn't post a real link as my post count is too low)

doubleTwist for Windows also works with the Pre although it gets detected as an iPod. We'll be releasing an update later this week so that it gets properly detected as a Pre :-)

Disclaimer: I'm the co-founder of doubleTwist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jon

Hello Jon,

I have some questions please:

I'm hoping your product doesn't require the use of iTunes, which I can't stand using, does it?

If I already have some other video burned in a different format, can I drag and drop my old videos into your program, and it will automatically convert to the correct format for the Pre?

I was trying to burn a paid DVD set of Star Wars, but I got an error message saying it's copyright protected when using 123CopyDVD program. Will I get the same error message with your program too? In other words, the movie will not burn? I really like 123CopyDVD for burning movies to my Pre, except the fact it won't burn protected movies. I previously used something called Pocket DVD Studio which burned literally any movie whatsoever (included protected) onto a format that my old Treo 755p could recognize.

What is the cost of your program? I couldn't find cost information on your doubletwist.com website.

I'm using Windows Vista and XP, is this okay?

Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    Check out Doubletwist and Fair Use Wizard. Both are easy ways to convert videos to an iPhone/Pre compatible format.

In fairness, though, I have not gotten Doubletwist to detect my Pre in any mode on Windows 7. No idea if that is a Win7 issue or a Doubletwist one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    The video I burned was of an adult nature, and it was just unreal how good the video quality is! I'm really happy this works great, I'm going to pay for this program now. Thanks a bunch for your advice!! Much appreciated! -Casey
    Great... we unwittingly were giving tech support to a perv....
    Out of curiosity, where does the Pre show up in Doubletwist? I plugged it in, chose MediaSync and then when Windows autoplays I tell it to share files with Doubletwist.

Winamp detects it fine and lets me sync but I've never personally gotten it to work with Doubletwist as much as I would love to use the program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm hoping your product doesn't require the use of iTunes, which I can't stand using, does it?
    Currently we read your iTunes or Windows Media Player library. You would need to have your music in one of those two apps if you want to sync music using doubleTwist. Later this summer we'll be releasing an update that will let you specify a music folder (or set of folders) as well.

For videos and pictures we read your Videos and Pictures folder (if you don't use the standard Windows folders you can change these in doubleTwist preferences).

If I already have some other video burned in a different format, can I drag and drop my old videos into your program, and it will automatically convert to the correct format for the Pre?
    Yes, it will automatically convert videos to the correct format for your device.

I was trying to burn a paid DVD set of Star Wars, but I got an error message saying it's copyright protected when using 123CopyDVD program. Will I get the same error message with your program too? In other words, the movie will not burn? I really like 123CopyDVD for burning movies to my Pre, except the fact it won't burn protected movies. I previously used something called Pocket DVD Studio which burned literally any movie whatsoever (included protected) onto a format that my old Treo 755p could recognize.
    doubleTwist does not currently support importing or burning DVDs.

What is the cost of your program? I couldn't find cost information on your doubletwist.com website.
    The current doubleTwist is and will continue to be free. We'll be launching some premium features later this year.

I'm using Windows Vista and XP, is this okay?
    Both Vista and XP are supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Out of curiosity, where does the Pre show up in Doubletwist?
    It shows up under a "DEVICES" group node on the left.

The current Windows version of doubleTwist has a bug on Windows 7 where certain devices (including the Pre) don't get identified. This is fixed in the update that's coming this week.

Jon
    For converting movies for the Pre I have been using DVD Catalyst avilable here:
    Tools4Movies | Tools4Movies

For 9.99

Discussion is here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-formats.html
    It shows up under a "DEVICES" group node on the left.

The current Windows version of doubleTwist has a bug on Windows 7 where certain devices (including the Pre) don't get identified. This is fixed in the update that's coming this week.

Jon
    Thank you for the quick answer (on a forum besides your own to boot!)

I will gladly donate if you set up such a thing.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    The video I burned was of an adult nature, and it was just unreal how good the video quality is!
    Sounds like a good screen protector is a must
    We just released doubleTwist 2.1.1 which fixes the Windows 7 issue. If you already have doubleTwist installed then select "Check for Updates..." from the Help menu, otherwise just get it from our website (www . doubletwist . com)

Jon
    sucks that it won't reneder .mpg's and .wmv's it seems silly to have to convert videos for my phone. (they're not THAT important)
    ---
    johnny olsen
    photography, digital imaging and web hosting
    http://johnnyolsen.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast