Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was curious if the Pre owners find that their device is one handed friendly. My 700w, 700wx, & 800w are all one handed friendly & a quick text at a traffic light is important to me.

The pinch to zoom in the web app makes me wonder if its one handed friendly.

Whats the verdict on that?

Thanks,
    Rich
    It may be that I'm still getting accustomed to it, but I find the Pre to be less one-handed friendly than my Treo 700p.

The primary reason is because it doesn't have the arrow button that would allow me to move the cursor between characters, web links, etc. You're right RichTJ99, t's not easy to click on a web link while also holding the phone, unfortunately.

I guess it's probably not a bad thing that I use the phone less while I am driving now...
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    RichTJ99--if you haven't yet, I encourage you to check one out at a Sprint store for yourself. As for me, I was pleasantly surprised by what I could do with one hand
    Slightly less one-handed than former Treos, but not impossible (unless trying to move around in/ select text, as mentioned above). Instead of pinching to zoom, you can do the double-tap zoom instead, if you're using one hand.
    I may be the only one, but I don't find it one-handed at all really. Especially because of that gesture motion to go back- trying it with one hand always seems like its going to topple over.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896 View Post
    I may be the only one, but I don't find it one-handed at all really. Especially because of that gesture motion to go back- trying it with one hand always seems like its going to topple over.
    I agree.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    I can navigate around apps pretty well with 1 hand. Obviously for typing you need 2 but dialing a number, scrolling around in an app, launching a new app, etc is fine with 1 hand. Something I have to warn you about it opening the phone. DO NOT open it with 1 hand as the sliding mechanism carries a lot of inertia when it slides open and the phone can slip right out of your hand.
    I can navigate around apps pretty well with 1 hand. Obviously for typing you need 2 but dialing a number, scrolling around in an app, launching a new app, etc is fine with 1 hand. Something I have to warn you about it opening the phone. DO NOT open it with 1 hand as the sliding mechanism carries a lot of inertia when it slides open and the phone can slip right out of your hand.
    Can't say I've had that issue. You do realize that you can use the back motion on both sides of the center button, right?
    Compared to my old T-mobile MDA, I can do vastly more with my new Palm one handed than I could in the old Windows Mobile interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Can't say I've had that issue. You do realize that you can use the back motion on both sides of the center button, right?
    Yes. But in both cases, getting my thumb down to that position requires me to move my hand lower, hence lose my grip on the heavier top.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I find it very one handed friendly. I can even do the swipe back gesture with one hand. But I was an iPhone user, so I guess I am use to using a phone like this with one hand. I find it more one handed friendly than the iPhone.
    Yes. But in both cases, getting my thumb down to that position requires me to move my hand lower, hence lose my grip on the heavier top.
    Ah, okay. I sort of tend to hold it basically resting against my middle and ring fingers, with my index cradling the top, and pinky supporting the bottom, so that really gives my thumb free reign.
    I can be done, but without a D-pad, scroll wheel, etc. and without out categorization/lists, it is not designed to be as onehanded.

That was a compromise to compete with iPhone. I think they should add a scrollwheel in place of the center button on v2. Of course, I will have mastered the current design by then.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    If your thumb can't reach all parts of the front of the screen you are holding it in a horribly inefficient way. I use it one handed at all times unless I am typing. The double tap to zoom is awesome. You basically just double click what you want to read and it zoom's to the perfect amount.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Copy and paste three hands.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Id say its a matter of getting used to it. Today was the first chance I had to reply to a text at a red light and I found that once the slider it open, it isn't too difficult to type a few words and use the slide gestures. Im sure with a little more practice it will be even easier... It is certainly do-able... but nothing can really be easier than a standard cell phone w/ 10 number keys...
    yep....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Some one-handed tips I've discovered:

- Browsing in landscape mode, the back and forward gestures become page up, page down. Very handy (I wish there was a gesture for page up/down in portrait).

- I personally find it much easier to use one-handed with the slider closed. It just feels more balanced, and my thumb is pretty much in the middle of the screen, so I can get everywhere.

- Hitting the (kinda useless) center button is a little easier one-handed than swiping up to get to card view.

- Going directly to the launcher with the wave is much easier than two swipes up (if you don't need to go to card view).

- Enable advanced gestures and don't be afraid to use it. Especially if you keep a few apps open (say email, calendar, browser), it's super quick to switch back and forth.

- Zooming: it's awkward and imprecise, but it is possible to zoom with one hand. You need two touches, but only one of them has to move. If I shift the phone, I can use my index finger and thumb, moving my thumb but holding my index finger steady.

- Flicking up or down faster actually makes it scroll faster.

- Master the slider: it's pretty easy to flick open with one hand if you're not trying to be gentle. I actually find that the mechanism is a lot more smooth if I do it one-handed. Go ahead and give it a good *sssssNICK*.

Some things Palm could do to make it even better:

- Give us a scrollbar or something so that we can get through a long list more easily. Otherwise we'll all be walking around with over-developed thumb muscles from all the flicking.

- Give us a way to "lock" the orange or shift buttons for navigating and selecting text.

- Provide a gesture for page up/down in portrait.

- Provide a menu gesture so we don't have to get to the top left corner so frequently.

- Fix web page formatting so font size on a full width column is about right.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I was having a hard time one-handing the Pre. But today I got my Touchstone in the mail. I got the version that comes with a new rubberized back plate for the Pre to stick better to the Touchstone. That rubberized back makes it much easier to handle the Pre one-handed. The rubber isn't so sticky that it interferes with taking the phone out of your pocket though. I also like the new back because now my Pre doesn't feel like a bar of soap. I was REALLY afraid it might slip out of my hands and go flying before. Now with the new back I'm not so afraid.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast