Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. This issue is with phone in open position.

I select a phone number from contacts, the phone dials and then the screen goes black (even if it is in my hand) and I cannot get the screen to come on. It stays that way until the call ends on its own. Then I see a card there with the call ended.

It was a real problem when I got one of those press 1 for ____ and press 2 for ____ as I could not press anything. It was like the phone was locked down.

Any ideas as to what is causing that? A dropped call or any ideas?

I also left a call on my answering machine and the feedback echo sound was really crazy. I did not have these problems yesterday that I recall.

On a positive note : I went and looked at 2 other phones again as a revisit.
    The Storm and the Bold and I tell you it seemed like so much work to get around. I could not type at all on the Storm. I still do love that Bold keyboard but not the OS. I am so sold on this Palm OS and Universal Search/Synergy thing.

I even popped into the Apple store to show my friend who works there my Pre. I escaped before anyone did me bodily harm ;=)
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I know what you're saying. When I called to get my TEP, I need to use the keypad to enter the option. I press a few time and it didn't register, I had to hang up and call again.

Next time I called another number that needs the keypad, it was fine. It might just be a random fluke.

It might be the plastic that I still have over my phone. I know it was interfering with my ear because of the flap. Do you still have your plastic screen?
    Do you still have the plastic on? It might be interfering with the proximity sensor.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSix View Post
    I know what you're saying. When I called to get my TEP, I need to use the keypad to enter the option. I press a few time and it didn't register, I had to hang up and call again.

Next time I called another number that needs the keypad, it was fine. It might just be a random fluke.

It might be the plastic that I still have over my phone. I know it was interfering with my ear because of the flap. Do you still have your plastic screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Do you still have the plastic on? It might be interfering with the proximity sensor.
    AH! Yes I do and it is getting a bit ratty. So maybe that's it. Is it acting like a proximity sensor you think? That makes so much sense. I will test that out. Thank you so much !
    that is a really nice feature.. my wife's Pro, sux when it comes to proximity, when you are on the phone and your face taps the screen you best believe it will mute, put somebody on hold, activate the speaker, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hmmmmm - this has me a little concerned. What about all of us that just bought screen protectors (bodyguards, bestskinsever, invisishield etc)??

I just tested the theory out on my Pre using a small 1" x 1" square of paper, and sure enough, the sensor seems to be near the earpiece of the phone. Whenever I put the piece of paper right around the earpiece, the screen would go black.

If the other guy just had the factory protective plastic still on, does this mean that these different shields / protectors will do the same thing?

I *hated* that my Instinct used to cook my ear when I talked on it - so I love that the Pre dims, but - wow - I'm hoping these shields don't cause this to happen.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shibumi View Post
    Hmmmmm - this has me a little concerned. What about all of us that just bought screen protectors (bodyguards, bestskinsever, invisishield etc)??

I just tested the theory out on my Pre using a small 1" x 1" square of paper, and sure enough, the sensor seems to be near the earpiece of the phone. Whenever I put the piece of paper right around the earpiece, the screen would go black.

If the other guy just had the factory protective plastic still on, does this mean that these different shields / protectors will do the same thing?

I *hated* that my Instinct used to cook my ear when I talked on it - so I love that the Pre dims, but - wow - I'm hoping these shields don't cause this to happen.
    I think the tabbed part of the plastic caused it maybe and the fact it is now loose as compared to new. When it sat really flush like the protector will, this did not happen so fingers crossed.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I have found the proximity sensor to be VERY sensitive. Just waving my hand a few inches over the face of the phone will cause the screen to turn off.
    All the diagrams of the screen protectors appear to have cutouts where the ear speaker is. Test with your finger and you should see that the proximity sensor is in or very close to the ear speaker. So long as the body shield or screen protector has a cutout there, the prox. sensor should not be affected.

Anyone get their screen protectors yet?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shibumi View Post

Yeah as soon as I put the plastic thing on, it did it. Cured ;=)

Thanks again.