Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    On my old Sprint phone, I used to have three roaming options: "Automatic," "Sprint only" or "Roaming only." Apparently, Sprint no longer sells phones with the "Roaming only" option available, the Pre included.

Not cool! Sprint's signal is spotty at my house. With my old, basic Sprint phone, I could switch to "Roaming only" and never dropped a call. With my new top of the line Palm Pre smartphone, I've literally dropped 80% of all my calls at home! The couple that didn't drop were because I had my head pressed against the glass of my bay window.

More surprising is that Sprint is trying to appeal to the business market. Over the weekend I drove through an area that didn't have great reception. As a business person, while traveling through those areas, I would simply switch my old phone to "Roaming only" and never worry about dropping calls with clients. With the Pre, I couldn't and dropped 2 calls on the road.

I'm not unrealistic - I don't expect Sprint or any provider to have perfect coverage. But, I don't see why they've completely taken away the customer's ability to make intelligent decisions about when their service is reliable or not. Instead, Sprint forces customers to drop or ignore calls. Do other carriers do this? Anyone know if Sprint is able to enable this if they see you dropping calls frequently enough? Has anyone figured out a workaround?
    When you roam, Sprint has to pay to whoever you are roaming on. It was a decision based on money and it's been this way for a while now. If you have spotty service at home I'd suggest their airwave or whatever it's called. It seems a lot of people are getting one for free by complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by vadnick View Post
    On my old Sprint phone, I used to have three roaming options: "Automatic," "Sprint only" or "Roaming only." Apparently, Sprint no longer sells phones with the "Roaming only" option available, the Pre included.

Not cool! Sprint's signal is spotty at my house. With my old, basic Sprint phone, I could switch to "Roaming only" and never dropped a call. With my new top of the line Palm Pre smartphone, I've literally dropped 80% of all my calls at home! The couple that didn't drop were because I had my head pressed against the glass of my bay window.

More surprising is that Sprint is trying to appeal to the business market. Over the weekend I drove through an area that didn't have great reception. As a business person, while traveling through those areas, I would simply switch my old phone to "Roaming only" and never worry about dropping calls with clients. With the Pre, I couldn't and dropped 2 calls on the road.

I'm not unrealistic - I don't expect Sprint or any provider to have perfect coverage. But, I don't see why they've completely taken away the customer's ability to make intelligent decisions about when their service is reliable or not. Instead, Sprint forces customers to drop or ignore calls. Do other carriers do this? Anyone know if Sprint is able to enable this if they see you dropping calls frequently enough? Has anyone figured out a workaround?
    Wow. This is terrible news! I rely on this functionality, with my 755p.

Geez, just when I think I'm getting closer to settling my issues with the Pre, there's yet ANOTHER reason to stick with my Treo.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    on my 800W i used to switch to roaming only.
    Most of the time it jumps to Verizon network , which is great.
    They took it out from Pre.
    Yes I have made this comment 1,000,000,000,000 times already. The only way to get my Centro working at home was to force it to roam. Now I can't make calls anymore It is a HUGE strech but they could add the option in a future OS update. (I HIGHLY doubt it though)
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm actually in the process of researching the Airave and similar devices for home. That would solve the biggest complaint for me. But, it still leaves the issue of spotty areas on the road.

I figured this is all about $$$. But, there are a couple ways Sprint could've addressed this. One would be that, when you select "roaming only," your phone roams for an hour and then prompts you to continue.... annoying, but better than nothing. Another is an algorithm... if the phone bounces between Sprint and roaming twice within 2 minutes, switch to "roaming only" for 15 minutes before rechecking. There are probably much more intelligent options than these, but if Sprint is worried that customers will lock their phone on roaming and rack up the bill with other carriers, they need to come up with a better solution than "if you drop calls, too bad."
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yes I have made this comment 1,000,000,000,000 times already. The only way to get my Centro working at home was to force it to roam. Now I can't make calls anymore It is a HUGE strech but they could add the option in a future OS update. (I HIGHLY doubt it though)
    Maybe a jailbreak community will come out for this phone as it did for the iPhone and it will enable this sort of expanded functionality?

Doubt it.
    Definitely get the Airave. I had the exact same problem because of a mountain blocking my house from the tower. I had to set my Treo 700p to always roam because of it... but then when I'd leave my house Sprint would be great and I'd have to manually switch back to "Allow Roaming".

I called Sprint and said I was considering leaving them because of this, and they gave me an Airave for free and waived the $5 a month charge. Now everyone that comes over gets good Sprint coverage and I don't have to worry about the Pre not having a Roaming Only setting. And it's all free.

Definitely worth a shot.
    I called retentions and they sent me the Airave free and the rep said he will waive the monthy charge for 24 months but I already got charged on all the phone on my account! I have to put in a call to CS .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

You've already received a bill with the charge on it? Yeah, you might want to call CS and straighten it out. My bill shows the charge and also a $5 credit (I think... I never open my bills anymore since I have it on Auto-pay).
    And the worst part is I haven't even recieved it yet LOL.

I believe all of the carriers stopped putting roaming only on their phones, not just Sprint.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I agree with the Airave solution! I have had one since they came out, in fact picked one up at the local Corporate Sprint Store and no one in the store knew what it was.
    My situation was/is that I wanted it to improve reception through out the house and to reduce chargeable minutes. I have sure accomplished the reduction in minutes , to the extent of about 4000 VOIP minutes/mo., however, I do run into the cell external cell towers and the Airave fighting over the signal to our individual phones. Living on a mountain, the external cell is down at the bottom, so I have strong cell signal on the down side of the house. On that side of the house we often have the conflict between the to signal sources. I have elected to put the Airave in my Office closet on the upside of the house and find that the Airave over powers my phone when I am in the Office and therefore in close proximity to the Airave. When that happens, people I am communicating with tell me that I am breaking up.All that to say you need to be careful in the placement of the Airave to preclude other concerns. Also, I love my Airave........
    if wifi is on, will incoming calls go to wifi (and we will get charged for them) or is wifi just for data?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    if wifi is on, will incoming calls go to wifi (and we will get charged for them) or is wifi just for data?
    wifi is just for data