Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Got my Pre yesterday...few issues, 1. it took the sprint rep over an hour to activate my Pre and Sprint Cust. Service hung up on him. Could be that the rep was totally incompentant. Again, Sprint cust. service at their best...oh one funny thing, the first thing he told me was to never EVER pull out the battery...20 mins later, he's pullin it out with his greasy paws...found that kind of funny....2. The earpiece on my Pre does NOT work. Can hear when i use the speaker or use a headset, but the actual earipiece on the handset doesnt work. Tried everything and eventually ended up goin back to the store today and will HOPEFULLy have a new one by tomorrow...so says the rep.

In the meantime, since i know this one is going back, using it pretty freely w/o worry of scratching etc. Gotta say, i love love love the PRE....the functionality and the sleekness of the phone overrides all the BS i had to go through to get the PRE. Love the multitaskin and integration amongst the apps.

Although, if i don't get my replacement tomorrow, might change my opinion
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Uh.... all of a sudden this morning my earpiece stopped working for no reason. Tried everything to get it back, called tech support, no dice either. Told me they will get me a new phone so I need to go to a sprint store.
    My earpiece worked fine for 10 days, but then just stopped. Both the bluetooth & headphone works and also the speaker.
    I ran the audio test in the interactive test* and did hear audio from the earpiece.
    *go to device info in the launcher menu. Select 'More Info' at the bottom and then go to the drop down menu in the upper left, select interactive tests.
    Next plan is to call Sprint.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarinAZ View Post
    My earpiece worked fine for 10 days, but then just stopped. Both the bluetooth & headphone works and also the speaker.
    I ran the audio test in the interactive test* and did hear audio from the earpiece.
    *go to device info in the launcher menu. Select 'More Info' at the bottom and then go to the drop down menu in the upper left, select interactive tests.
    Same here. Interactive test allowed me to hear through the ear piece but that's the only time it works now. It stopped working this morning just a few seconds into a call and since then, nada.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarinAZ View Post

My ear piece and mic stopped working yesterday as well. I did the test and it failed twice but then worked the rest of the times. It works great if I go to speakerphone but not if I just use it without the speakerphone off. I did a partial reset and still had the same issues. Walked into a Sprint store today and I got it exchanged for another one. I did the ##786# just to make sure it wasn't a reconditioned one and it wasn't. I even called Palm last night to troubleshoot and they siad that they could ship me a replacement. I thought it was a hardware issue but the interactive test worked good for the most part so the mic and earpiece Do work. Wonder how many other people will have this same issue.
    Several discussions about this even back in the Treo days. Your headset plug is likely stuck. Try plugging/unplugging your headset a few times to get it unstuck. Good luck Pre-ers!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Try to do a search before posting please.

I already posted this in several different threads but:
    - open the music player
    - plug in headphones
    - close music player
    - unplug headphones

I hope this works for everyone.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Several discussions about this even back in the Treo days. Your headset plug is likely stuck. Try plugging/unplugging your headset a few times to get it unstuck. Good luck Pre-ers!
    ha! It worked for me after many different methods. I finally had to have my headset plugged in, make a call, end call, unplug.

To everyone else: keep trying different methods to do this.

To the rude person above. I DID search, which is how I found this thread. Thank you.
    My headset stopped working as well! I thought the tiny speaker just blew out! Then I squeezed the top part of the phone where the earpiece goes.. and all of a sudden, PRESTO! it started working. I was connecting and disconnecting the headphones several times a day while i was having this issue so maybe i actually did what the posters above recommended and just "thought" that i fixed it by squeezing the top part of the phone.. either way.. it works now.. if it gets messed up again, I plan to do follow the steps above to un-stick headset mode.. thanks guys!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=TheCIArr;1691146]Try to do a search before posting please.QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    To the rude person above. I DID search, which is how I found this thread. Thank you.
    I guess I should have put "please" at the beginning of the sentence?
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=TheCIArr;1691221]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
    Try to do a search before posting please.QUOTE]

I guess I should have put "please" at the beginning of the sentence?
    lol Well, you could have been directing that toward the OP. but as for me, I didn't start a new thread, I piggy backed this one, which is the only one I found in a search for my same issue.

No biggie.

On a side note, I did call tech support to let them know of the fix, so they are aware and don't keep directing people to get new Pres when it's definitely software related instead of hardware.
  12.    #12  
    i DID do a search and was unable to find anything....and i had a 755P before this and had the issue with the stuck headphone jack. So i did try inserting and removing the headphones before posting.

Again, I tried to exhaust all of the options before posting....anyhow, i ended up returning the phone altogether b/c i no longer wanted to deal with the store that i bought it from. Was able to luckily find a place (albeit 40 mins out) that had a PRE. Repurchased it and have no problems. I also think that my original one had a dead pixel...so as long as this one holds up...things seemed to have worked out for the better...

Again...love the phone and am now awaiting the arrival of my invisibleshield!...happy pre-ing everyone!!
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Also, to anyone else experiencing this issue. Now that I think of it, when placing a call, the icon on the lower left that toggles between speaker phone was showing a headset icon. I never put it together, but now it correctly shows a HANDset icon when in a call.

This bug also started while not even using a headset at the time. It just went to headset mode for no reason so this software bug should be addressed. I'll try and pass the info onto Palm somehow.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    My earpiece didn't totally stop working, just wasn't loud at all. I could hear the folks on a call but just barely, no matter what the volume was set at. Bluetooth and speakerphone worked fine.

Traded it in and got a another Pre.
    ive had the phone since day one and my earpiece and mic just failed
    i have the ear piece issue as well and I cant get it working per any of the above!!
    I tried taking the battery out, starting pandora with headset in and shutting it off before unplugging, resetting multiple times, blowing in the headphone jack, nothing works! This phone rocks, but I'm on my second phone and don't have time to keep messing with trouble shooting.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    My ear piece went out today (speaker phone and headphones worked) and when I would answer a call and put in headphones it would hang up automatically.

I tried the above advice.. Plugged in and out of headphone jack like 5 times and now everything is back to normal.

Wish I checked this thread before going to Sprint store. They wanted to do a system reset to be sure and I didn't want to lose all my "goodies" for something I thought was just a glitch.

Thanks to those that have figured this one out!
    Hardware or Software issue?

I have the same issue.. and yes... putting a headphone in the jack repeatedly does the trick for the moment but later in the day it does it again EVEN if I dont use the headphone jack...

so is this Bad Hardware? or software....?
    Last edited by tyrnight2; 09/22/2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    i just got a refurbed pre because of this problem. previously my earphone was not working and doing the plug in/open music/close/pull out method worked. but then it just wasn't working so i took it to a sprint repair store and they ordered me a refurbed one. i say if you are having problems more then twice, take it back and get it replaced.

i thought it was software but apparently its a combo of software and hardware.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast