Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I have read FAR to many posts of this happening to PRE owners... what do we do? Wait? and see if Palm comes up with an answer? or a device refresh that addresses tis issue?

Its already happened 4 times today and I didn't even use the headphone jack today.. only to get it out of headset mode..
    I'm almost positive that one of the ways this glitch occurs is to have pandora open with headphones, and closing pandora and unplugging headphones while there is a dashboard notification. Everytime that there has been a dashboard notification it has happened to me recently, I would wager that there is some sort of memory that is not being refreshed as it should because of the notification in waiting.

EDIT: I just tried that and it didn't happen, but maybe it only occurs while charging. Since that is how it has happened to me. Seems to be only in my car that the problem occurs so maybe it also has to be charging. Feel free to add your opinions as well. I'm just trying to replicate the problem as I have seen it occur.
    Last edited by Deftninja; 10/11/2009 at 12:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I had this problem for the first time yesterday. This had never happened prior to the first time I used the headphone jack. After reading this thread, I was able to fix it by squeezing the area around the headphone jack.
    bunk
    I'm having the same issue and nothing is working. Not sure if its a coincidence but my phone number changed back to my temporary. I discovered this when trying to retrieve my voicemail.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    As far as my experience goes, it's all hardware. Happened today after using the headjack with a regular 1/8th inch cable, but it was not my own and not one I normally use, so perhaps it was a slightly different size or was mono instead of stereo or something. I focused on the gold prongs inside the jack itself and that that worked immediately. I tried various plug/start music/unplug variations before and they didn't work. It makes sense how they could have though if the problem is these golden plugs getting pushed in and stuck in the head jack itself. I just plugged in a cable, pushed it around a little bit, went in and out and while my voice mail was calling was up saw the button immediately change to the headset. Hope this helped, good luck!
    This happened to me yesterday. I was listening to pandora with my headphones plugged in, received a phone call, unplugged my headset and answered the call. I couldn't hear the other person, but the other person could hear me. Rebooted and nothing happened. Noticed that in the dialer application, one of the buttons should an icon of some headphones, so the phone must be thinking that headphones were plugged in. Got a toothpick and tried cleaning out the headphone jack with it. That fixed it for me, but I wouldn't recommend anyone do that just because you can probably mess up the headphone jack permanently.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    In fact, I just recreated it multiple times again. I was playing music on the player, plugged in an audio cable, it then went to the earphones correctly, then I unplugged it expecting to hear music (you have to hit play again).... and nothing! I then plugged it back in, and as I was unplugging, slowly but somewhat firmly rotated the cable in circles as to try to hit the inner walls of the jack itself and then the music popped back onto the speaker. voila!

I do remember reading something before the pre came out that there was this epic battle from the palm design guys to even get this audio jack to fit as a regular 1/8th inch and not the smaller one that no one uses. Perhaps that might be why it's so temperamental.
    This happened to me today and this is the 2nd time it has happened. Taking my Pre back tomorrow for a new one. It is a little frustrating.
    Same thing here: external speaker won't work for music only (phone works), and the ear piece won't work for the phone; only speaker/bluetooth. Sprint store accused me of dropping my phone (hasn't happened) and told me to pay my $100 deductable to get a new one. I almost caved. DON'T DO THIS!! Got a second opinion at a 3rd party Sprint store and in about 45 secs she had a new one on order for me. I inquired why she did this and there's data "in her computer" (from Palm I assume) that states this is a problem.

Bottom line: headset stuck - couldn't unstick it using all the ideas on these forums - found a store that ordered me a new pre W/O INSURANCE.

NOTES: sprint said crack at usb port was due to dropping (bravo sierra). Headset stuck once back in August and I "fixed" it. This time I tried for 5 days. If you can't use the phone as normal (no BT or speaker), that's a Palm problem...get a new phone for n/c.

Back up help: Also, my auto backup is not auto; I have to force it. Does anyone know if this related to my ear piece issue or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Rhino View Post
    Same thing here: external speaker won't work for music only (phone works), and the ear piece won't work for the phone; only speaker/bluetooth. Sprint store accused me of dropping my phone (hasn't happened) and told me to pay my $100 deductable to get a new one. I almost caved. DON'T DO THIS!! Got a second opinion at a 3rd party Sprint store and in about 45 secs she had a new one on order for me. I inquired why she did this and there's data "in her computer" (from Palm I assume) that states this is a problem.

Bottom line: headset stuck - couldn't unstick it using all the ideas on these forums - found a store that ordered me a new pre W/O INSURANCE.

NOTES: sprint said crack at usb port was due to dropping (bravo sierra). Headset stuck once back in August and I "fixed" it. This time I tried for 5 days. If you can't use the phone as normal (no BT or speaker), that's a Palm problem...get a new phone for n/c.

Back up help: Also, my auto backup is not auto; I have to force it. Does anyone know if this related to my ear piece issue or something else?

NEW PRE UPDATE:
    I updated my new (recon) Pre, logged on to my profile and it appears that everything downloaded! I also use SyncToy to copy non-profile items to my desktop and it to synced all my files back onto my new pre. Hopefully I'll never need this again, but for me, Palm backup worked...sans needing a 2nd opinion to get a free pre for what is obviously a small design issue. I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be able to "lock up" your headset jack...how long have RCA jacks been around?!?
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Had the speaker/mic problem today for the first time after having had my Pre for over 5 months. Love this thread, saved me a trip down to Sprint in the morning. I opened up the phone app and dialed voicemail while plugging and unplugging headphones until they started working again. Hopefully this doesn't become a constant problem or I will have to take it in.
    well you could always just try rebooting your phone with the jack plugged into your phone . this fixes my phone when it does this!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    My problem is a little different. Calling or answering, there was static and the caller could not hear me. I plugged in headphones that came with phone and it worked fine. Unplugged them and there was static again and could not hear me. That was 2 days ago. Went to Sprint store and guy said there is a problem with either headphones or the jack on the pre. He ordered me another one and it should come in tommorrow. Well today it worked fine. Even after plugging and unplugging in headphones. Will return it anyway, as the problem could crop up again.
    I just had this problem...I restarted several times...noticed the speakerphone worked, but not the earpiece...I found this thread...realized the headphone icon was on...tried plugging in the headphones...opening the music player...closing the music player, then unplugging...didn't fix it...opened music player (remix) since that's what I was using last time I was listening to music...didn't fix it....I did the same thing, but this time played a few seconds of a song...paused it...closed it, unplugged...voila...FIXED.
    Happened to me on my second Pre line. Annoying
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    All of a sudden this happened to me today - call came in and I couldn't hear anything, not even static or muffled sound. Some testing made it apparent the phone worked on speaker but the ear piece didn't work.

I then noticed it was really difficult to flick cards up and the phone seemed sluggish.

Pre bought in July - never dropped.
    This was how my pre came. Sprint sent me a refurb unit because the touch pros are junk. Guess what the earpiece doesn't work unless you put pressure on the headphone jack. Its basically loose like a broken solder. Then sprint literally says what do you want us to do we can't send you another one.
    Palm IIIe -> Palm m100 -> Palm 700p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre ->HTC Evo
    Just wanted to post that I had this exact same problem for the last two months, and I can't believe the squeeze trick worked for me.

Symptom description:
    * speaker works;
    * headset works;
    * earpiece does NOT work;
    * phone does NOT think the headset is connected... the earpiece simply does not work.

Tried a complete wipe; tried the Q-Tip trick. No luck.

Finally, I just squeezed the phone near the headset / earpiece area and it magically turned on.

LOVE the Pre, so much better than Android and iPhone, but seriously.... squeeze the phone?
    jonny6man likes this.
    This is where I am at. It's not stuck in headset mode (that was my Pre #3 and #2). Pre #5 and now #6 have the problem of the earpiece not working unless I slide it out and squeeze. If you're currious, #1 had a bad volume rocker, and #4 was oreoed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast