1.    #1  
    Not that anyone cares about whether I get the Pre or not, but seeing some of the innane posts on here, I may as well add my two cents. I've been reading visiting this forum every day since I've signed up, and I guess I'm getting caught up in the frenzy...

I've been eye balling this thing since January waiting for it to come out, but I can't pull the trigger on it because I can't see going backwards (from an old samsung flip phone at that) in terms of texting features. Forwarding messages being the big one. I forward messages all the time and it would drive me nuts to not be able to. It also sounds as though it's not as intuitive and straight forward to manage them. I don't think I would be able to type them up as quickly and easily on the Pre, either. I've got the T9 and I can whip them up just as quickly, if not quicker, than most people can on a Qwerty. I can't see being able to text very quickly one handed on the Pre. I know, I couldn't do that on a Touch Pro, but it will probably have a virtual keyboard also for the quick one handed texts. Yeah, I also know that that MAY come to the Pre.

This is strictly a toy for me, I don't need all that other crap like push mail, managing tasks, organizing contacts, etc. The most important feature for me is texting. Of course I still want something that's cool and does well the things that it's capable of doing, such as browsing the internet, GPS, multi-tasking, GETTING A SIGNAL, etc.

Since I'm in no rush to jump into a "toy" with so many bugs, it's gonna be a race to see the next best thing that comes along for me. If the Pre gets its stuff together before those other phones comes out, then maybe I'll go with it. But if they come along and are comparable to the Pre, without all the bugs of the Pre, I may have to go with one of them. That Touch Pro 2 sure looks pretty nice and sleek for it to have a full Qwerty Keyboard. I know pretty much nothing about smartphones, but I'm not buying in to all the WinMo bashing I've seen around. I would fully expect that by the time it gets released they will have worked out most of the major flaws that people have been whining and moaning about. Not sure if the Pro 2 will have version 7, but that's supposed to be a major improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleemie View Post
    I've been eye balling this thing since January waiting for it to come out, but I can't pull the trigger on it because I can't see going backwards (from an old samsung flip phone at that) in terms of texting features. Forwarding messages being the big one. I forward messages all the time and it would drive me nuts to not be able to. It also sounds as though it's not as intuitive and straight forward to manage them. I don't think I would be able to type them up as quickly and easily on the Pre, either. I've got the T9 and I can whip them up just as quickly, if not quicker, than most people can on a Qwerty. I can't see being able to text very quickly one handed on the Pre. I know, I couldn't do that on a Touch Pro, but it will probably have a virtual keyboard also for the quick one handed texts. Yeah, I also know that that MAY come to the Pre.

This is strictly a toy for me, I don't need all that other crap like push mail, managing tasks, organizing contacts, etc. The most important feature for me is texting. Of course I still want something that's cool and does well the things that it's capable of doing, such as browsing the internet, GPS, multi-tasking, GETTING A SIGNAL, etc.
    May I suggest a Samsung Rant? Seriously.
    After using the Pre for a few days, someone would have to force me at gunpoint to go back to a Windows Mobile phone. That goes for any current or planned phone, and any known Windows Mobile version. Maybe Microsoft will blow things out with WM 7, but until then, seriously...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by sleemie View Post
    I would fully expect that by the time it gets released they will have worked out most of the major flaws that people have been whining and moaning about. Not sure if the Pro 2 will have version 7, but that's supposed to be a major improvement.
    Incidentally, I find the first sentence above to be really ironic. Regarding the second sentence, no, the Touch Pro 2 will be running WM 6.1 at launch and will be upgradable to WM 6.5. WM 7 is still just a glint in Microsoft's eye, and if it supports resistive screens as on the TP2, then Microsoft will be in trouble.

And note: I'm a Windows user through and through. In fact, I'm running Windows 7 as the exclusive OS on my MacBook Pro. So, I have nothing against Microsoft in general. Windows Mobile, however, is simply the worst experience I've ever had with a computing device.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #5  
    Come on...just took a peek at the rant. Although texting is probably the single most important feature for me, it's still gotta a REAL smartphone.

I am being kind of a phone snob here, but it's gotta be one of the upper end phones, not like the N97 necessarily, but like the Pre, G1, Touch Pro, iphone etc. And a full touchscreen. I don't think I have to sacrifice the cool factor and the latest and greatest for great texting. It just seems like neither the iphone (maybe now with the update) or the Pre have achieved this. Not sure about the G1 cuz I don't want that clunker.

As for WinMo, I'm not doubting your experience with it, but it seems like some of the WinMo phones are fairly popular. I would think if it was that completely and totally a piece of crap that the sales of WinMo phones would have dropped off to the point where they pretty much fell off the map. And there seems to be a lot of people excited about the Pro 2 who have WinMo experience. What is the problem with WinMo? I've just heard the comments here and there about it.
    Maybe an Instinct then? I mean, you're presenting contradictory information here:

This is strictly a toy for me, I don't need all that other crap like push mail, managing tasks, organizing contacts, etc. The most important feature for me is texting.
    it's still gotta a REAL smartphone.
    Decide which one of those two quotes you really mean because they're mutually exclusive.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I personally can't say I've ever once forwarded a text, except in the case of an MMS picture. And keep in mind that the iPhone can't forward texts either (unless they added it with the new version).

I feel you on the T9. I still feel like I can type faster on that than a QWERTY because I've been using T9 for 10 years now (or so) and this is really my first QWERTY phone (unless you want to count the iPod Touch, which I used for e-mail for a long time).

I think a lot of the smart phones are focusing on e-mail, as its a much more accessible communications medium to a larger audience, and that old-style texting paradigms are being pushed aside for 'conversation' style texting. Personally, I like that switch, but I'm sure for a lot of people its frustrating.

If texting is truly the most important feature for you, then maybe you really should be looking in the non-smart phone category. Push mail, managing tasks, organizing contacts, having a calendar, having a great web browser, etc is what defines a smart phone. If texting is the most important feature, look into a texting phone. There are tons of phones out there that are awesome for texting.
  8.    #8  
    Well, I don't care about push mail, organizing contacts, managing tasks, etc. But what I do want is the ability to browse the internet effectively, a touchscreen, access my email easily, but don't need it pushed, I would probably only check it from my phone once a day, if that, play youtube videos (and eventually videos from other websites), store and view documents, GPS with turn-by-turn directions, google maps, games, a halfway decent camera, the some of the various apps that are available for these things AND great texting.

Texting is the predominant mode of communication on cell phones for non-business users, much more so than email, so I don't think it's asking for much for that feature to be more complete for a phone of this caliber compared to an old standard flip phone, especially a phone designed more for "fun" than as a business tool. I realize they may get there with future updates, but just given the whole picture with the bugs and all, I'll be waiting to see if the other upcoming phones will beat the pre to the punch with a comparable product and great texting.
    My Sprint Touch Pro does all that Sleemie wants and does not care about. Stable, no resets, et cetera.