Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. doctoss's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
       #1  
    I thought I needed a hard reset to start over, and I remarked to my wife how clever it is to have an online hard reset to erase your data. So I proceeded to erase my data per the online palm profile; anyone else try this? Apparantly this is not a hard reset, but a security feature to brick your palm if it is lost or stolen. Now I have to make a trip back to the store to get my pre back instead of the brick I made it. Live and learn.
  2. drwillec's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #2  
    I did a palm profile page data erase on Sunday. I did it because I have been plagued by widely fluctuating signal strength reported elsewhere. When the phone went to restart, it appeared to be locked up. After 15 min or so, I took out the battery, and the phone would not restart. I was pretty bummed out. While I was on hold with sprint support, I tried attaching the micro usb charger, and lo and behold: the phone restarted and has been fine ever since! However the widely fluctuating signal strenght problem (along with roaming and switches from evdo-1x) has persisted (and, in case you might be wondering - have never used hotmail - described elsewhere as a culprit).
  3. Tikerz's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    #3  
    I tried it and it worked fine. About a minute after I initiated it online, my phone blanked and restarted. The Palm logo was on the screen for about 15-20 minutes then the phone woke up to the language setup.
  4. doctoss's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
       #4  
    Tried the usb charger trick, but to no avail.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoss View Post
    I thought I needed a hard reset to start over, and I remarked to my wife how clever it is to have an online hard reset to erase your data. So I proceeded to erase my data per the online palm profile; anyone else try this? Apparantly this is not a hard reset, but a security feature to brick your palm if it is lost or stolen. Now I have to make a trip back to the store to get my pre back instead of the brick I made it. Live and learn.
    Guess you should've read this Precentral article posted yesterday
    http://www.precentral.net/remote-era...lly-erases-too
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  6. #6  
    I think bricking the device is a great idea. If I loose or my pre is stolen I don't want anyone trying to use it or give someone a freebie so bricking the phone remotley is a remarkable idea that way they can simply use the Pre as a paper holder.
  7. doctoss's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    I think bricking the device is a great idea. If I loose or my pre is stolen I don't want anyone trying to use it or give someone a freebie so bricking the phone remotley is a remarkable idea that way they can simply use the Pre as a paper holder.

    I think so too, just wish it had a better warning to it. I am just glad I did not have alot of data or info on it yet. I am still using my 755p until I am convinced the pre is the way to go.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    I think bricking the device is a great idea. If I loose or my pre is stolen I don't want anyone trying to use it or give someone a freebie so bricking the phone remotley is a remarkable idea that way they can simply use the Pre as a paper holder.
    It's a great idea, but it should be easy for Palm/Sprint to unbrick it. Right now it sounds like a complicated procedure.
  9. brybry2's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #9  
    I had to use it on sunday. It did brick the phone. I had to run webosdoctor and get it running again.
  10. #10  
    Actually I did that remote erase on day 1....as the phone needed to be reseted at one point and time. I can tell you that the profile wipe DID NOT brick my phone. It just took a good half hour for the phone to come back "alive". Not sure if it was just pure luck but it worked, and yes I have my original PRE.

    I had to go thru this whole procedure again later that nite when my line didnt activate on the phone....funny thing was I had perfect data connection but no voice for 6 hours. After some serious work with a tech, hack codes, and another reset...the phone did not brick...just took sometime to "wake up". Weird thing is that the reset did work...but during the main process again it did a back up restore of the apps I had added.

    Not saying that anyone should try this though, it could have been pure luck.
  11. doctoss's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
       #11  
    Hey, you guys were right. My phone restarted after a while, but it restored my backup. What if I want a reset without a backup?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoss View Post
    Hey, you guys were right. My phone restarted after a while, but it restored my backup. What if I want a reset without a backup?
    Thats the part I didnt get....I figured after a very lengthy wait and reset...that it completely wipes out your backup profile.

    Guess it doesnt. But seems like there is no guarantee of how long to wait to tell if your phone bricked or not.

    My wait could have been so long just for the fact it was launch day and you had some odd number of thousands of phones being activated.
  13. doctoss's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
       #13  
    The reason I wanted to reset it is to go back and have my data backed up on line rather than on the phone. I figured I could then sync with google better.Any way to go back and change where the data is stored? Thanks
  14. Tikerz's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    #14  
    I don't believe this remote wipe is supposed to brick your phone. You do have to wait what might seem like a really long time though for the process to complete depending how much data and how many programs you have installed. During the process it restores all the programs you downloaded so that might take a while.
  15. #15  
    My pre has been displaying the Palm logo after the remote wipe for over 2.5 hours straight.
  16. #16  
    Just to keep the thread up to date, I got excited cause the palm logo went away. Turns out my battery was dead and it is currently charging. Looks like Im bricked....

    :-(
  17. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #17  
    I had the same "false bricking" issue. Did the remote whipe and waited for a reboot that never seemed to come. I pulled the battery and either that, or plugging it in, worked. After syncing I'm back except I lost all my sms and call history.
  18. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #18  
    Just to add my experience, that Palm remote wipe always brought my phone back to if I had just taken it out the box. I think the "not a complete wipe" issue may come if you input the same email address when you sign into the phone again. That will restore your contacts at the least, on top of a few other things that I can't remember off hand. If you use a new email address, that *should* give you a phone with no data on it. I always wanted at least my contacts so the remote wipe was good enough for me.
  19. #19  
    Ok more updates.

    Got the phone to connect to the computer to run the webOS doctor tool. It initially stalled at 16% saying that my device's battery was charging. Went out on my lunch break, and returned an hour later to the same message and still at 16% complete. This is after having left it on the wall charger earlier for about 30 mins after the initial fake out. Anymore ideas or should I be heading into Sprint?

    I just put the Zagg.com invisible shield on here too....
    Last edited by jdrama418; 07/24/2009 at 06:16 PM.
  20. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrama418 View Post
    Ok more updates.

    Got the phone to connect to the computer to run the webOS doctor tool. It initially stalled at 16% saying that my device's battery was charging. Went out on my lunch break, and returned an hour later to the same message and still at 16% complete. This is after having left it on the wall charger earlier for about 30 mins after the initial fake out. Anymore ideas or should I be heading into Sprint?

    I just put the Zagg.com invisible shield on here too....
    If you haven't already, try updating Java. Also look at this thread and see if any of the remedies in there help you. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions