1.    #1  
    So I was speaking with a Sprint customer service rep over the phone the other day regarding an issue I had with email on my Pre. Finally got that straightened out. During the conversation she mentioned that the Pre should automatically switch from Sprint's network to WiFi when it locates an available hotspot. Is anybody's Pre doing this? I know mine isn't. Maybe she didn't know what she was talking about.
    If it is a WiFi network that you have connected to before, then yes. You have to make the initial connection though.

For example, I was at a friend's this weekend who has WiFi. I stayed on the EVDO network until I setup the WiFi connection on my Pre. I've gone back since, and it switches now without me having to do anything.

Some hot spots require you to "login" after a connecting via a web browser in order to start using data services (ie Panera). In those cases it will auto connect to the network, but you will still have to login via the browser.

What I haven't figured out is how do I remove a hotspot from the auto-connect list.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    I think the only option is to "Forget Network"
  4.    #4  
    Ok I have Wifi at home, which I have already been connected to via my Pre. So your saying when I get close enough to my home my phone should automatically switch me over to Wifi from EvDO and connect to that network without me having to manually enabling Wifi?

All I've noticed so far that is automatic is if I enable Wifi (manually), my Pre auto connects to known networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Ahhh...thanks!!! After you said that I played around in there and found it.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    Time to get VIRAL
    mrjcarter - you're right, if you have wifi turned off, it can't auto connect. You have to have the wifi turned on, and then any known networks will be autoconnected when you are in range of them, and the Pre will automaticly start pushing data to the wifi side.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    Ok I have Wifi at home, which I have already been connected to via my Pre. So your saying when I get close enough to my home my phone should automatically switch me over to Wifi from EvDO and connect to that network without me having to manually enabling Wifi?

All I've noticed so far that is automatic is if I enable Wifi (manually), my Pre auto connects to known networks.
    Yes, as long as WiFi is on! If you have WiFi disabled there is no way for it to detect your home (or any other) network. I generally leave mine on unless I know for a fact I'll be somewhere that has no WiFi that I can connect to.
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post

YES as long as you have your wifi option still turned on. When I do this, it auto connects me to my home connection and when I leave, EV automatically connects but you'll still see the Wifi wave signal thing up there IN ADDITION to your EV signal icon. Pretty sweet!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    YES as long as you have your wifi option still turned on. When I do this, it auto connects me to my home connection and when I leave, EV automatically connects but you'll still see the Wifi wave signal thing up there IN ADDITION to your EV signal icon. Pretty sweet!!
    OK so it does do what I want it to do. I didn't know that when WiFi is on but no hotspot is available it goes back to EvDO. Thanks for that.

I don't think my old WinMo phones had this feature, sorry for being a little sloww... (*turns WiFi on indefinitely*)
    Pretty sweet.

Thanks for all the posts.
    but isn't this going to kill battery life when I'm not home for example and my wifi is always on?
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    but isn't this going to kill battery life when I'm not home for example and my wifi is always on?
    It doesn't use the battery when you lock the phone that I'm aware of.

I say this because when you unlock, you see the wifi icon come back, and then turn on.
    Does it use less power to roam on Wifi, or is it just faster?
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Does it use less power to roam on Wifi, or is it just faster?
    It was discussed in another thread and I agree with this - when wifi is enabled and connected, the cell radio signal power is likely reduced. As for myself, I think I notice less bars when in wifi mode. IMO, I think it evens out or lessens overall power use when wifi is connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    If it is a WiFi network that you have connected to before, then yes. You have to make the initial connection though.

For example, I was at a friend's this weekend who has WiFi. I stayed on the EVDO network until I setup the WiFi connection on my Pre. I've gone back since, and it switches now without me having to do anything.

Some hot spots require you to "login" after a connecting via a web browser in order to start using data services (ie Panera). In those cases it will auto connect to the network, but you will still have to login via the browser.

What I haven't figured out is how do I remove a hotspot from the auto-connect list.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I've had this same problem for some time now. It took me a while to figure out what the issue was. I'd be walking around in Chicago and sporadically could not get a data connection. I finally figured out that my Pre was picking up attWiFi hotspots when I'd walk by a Starbucks. And in this city, you walk by a starbucks on every block. The problem, as Laxidasical points out, is that the hotspot requires you to login on their web page to start the service. Since I had connected to the Starbucks attWiFi hotspot before, my Pre remembered the network and connected to it. As it states in the WIFI app: "your phone automatically connects to known networks".

So I finally figured out what was going on but then I couldn't figure out how to get to a list of networks that the Pre "knows" so that I can remove them. The reply form lopezpm sent me in the right direction. It appears that the only way to clear out the known network connections is to re-connect to one and then go to the WiFi app and tap on the connection to drill into it, scroll to the bottom and tap the "Forget Network" button.

It's not very intuitive and one at a time. If anyone knows a better way, please let me know.

Thanks as always to the great members of PreCentral for the help!