Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am finding conflciting information about the use of the Centro battery in thr Pre. Is it safe to use? Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I have been using Centro batteries along with the "Pre" battery. I see no difference in fit, charging, or performance. The Centro batteries last just as long- and they're cheap. I haven't tested the Centro batteries with a Touchstone yet, but I will tonight.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the update. I will try it. Somewhere on precentral it was stated it the centro battery would fry the circuitry
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    thanks for the update. I will try it. Somewhere on precentral it was stated it the centro battery would fry the circuitry
    Not likely. The voltage is the same. In fact, the entire battery is laid out identically. My only concern was the connectors...but they seem to be at the exact same location too.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Wow this would be awesome to be able to use my centro battery! I will try tonight when i get home...Thanks
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I can report the Centro battery works fine with the Touchstone! I am convinced the Centro battery is exactly the same as the Pre battery..
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    This is really odd to me. Why use the same battery! is it that good?

I think they screwed this up a little.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    They used the same battery to leverage the cost. The higher the purchase quantity, the lower the cost, and no NRE costs to develop a new form factor.
    Last edited by dvdmax; 06/16/2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Unfortunately I agree.

I would have much rather had a nice LiPo in the 1500 or 1650 range. Make the Pre a few mm deeper to accommodate it and it would fit the hand even better. That would make the premium $299 price a little easier to justify.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    In Dieter's review section on the battery, he stated that Palm did not recommend it and stated that the two batteries are different in some of their engineering specs. I know a lot of people will do so anyway, but not being an electrical engineer myself, I'm going to take the manufacturer's word on this and keep my Centro battery in the Centro.

.. I was around when the WiFi cards finally started frying the 600s after seemingly working fine for a few months.
    particularly interested to know if a centro extended life battery is going to cause any damage...

Good news is Sprint lets you insure the your phone :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyca View Post
    In Dieter's review section on the battery, he stated that Palm did not recommend it and stated that the two batteries are different in some of their engineering specs. I know a lot of people will do so anyway, but not being an electrical engineer myself, I'm going to take the manufacturer's word on this and keep my Centro battery in the Centro.

.. I was around when the WiFi cards finally started frying the 600s after seemingly working fine for a few months.
    If anyone could actually tell us what these 'different specs' were people might take them a little more seriously. Right now it is just hearsay and rumors.

I have been using 2 different 1350 extended Centro batteries in the Pre, with both the Touchstone and USB plug and I find them to be exactly the same as the stock battery. (+15% of life)
    They could use a Li-Mn or Li-Fe tech which runs 3.7V max vs. 4.2V max. That would be a disaster if it was charged to 4.2v. I doubt they did that because a Pre battery in a Centro would be very bad news.
    I have an old Centro battery, read the back, both are 3.7, fits perfect.

The only problem I have is it is dead and won't charge in phone. When I put it in Pre, it shows large red/yellow battery, so I'm going to Service Center and trade out the battery for new one, try this to see if it works.

If so, would be great for spare battery. I'm having no issues now, but going to lake with poor reception which eats everyone's batteries.
    I use it no problems
    Its typical Sprint BS. I have Centro battery, an 800w battery and a Sedio 1350 battery and all work perfect in my Pre.

I am an Electrical Engineer and I cannot say I would know enough of whether they could ruin anything.

However understanding of two port network analysis says that if the voltage and current ratings for the batteries are the exact same; there will be no way they can 'fry' the circuits from an electrical standpoint. That is because essentially the battery sees the entire phone as a resistor (or load) and the total power delivered is driven by Ohm's law. Or at least that is my understanding (though my specialty area is RF).

My advice caveats here though are that:
    1. The manufacturer told you not to. So your probably outside of warranty situations.
    2. I am not a chemical engineer/chemist so I don't know if the actual chemicals will break down under heating or other mechanical conditions that are unique to the Pre that do not exist in the Centro.
    It's great to see "long time" Palm customers being (at least cautiously) happy with the Pre. It looks like you had some "guts" in order to try the wifi card with the 600. (I envisioned hacking the treo to run a jumper wire as some sort of workaround to the current issue, but I never followed through on the idea. Since I kept misplacing my phone and then having the battery drain, I was using a 600 when I switched to the Pre. This forum had spunk back then. Thanks for bringing back some of those happy memories!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    The only problem I have is it is dead and won't charge in phone. When I put it in Pre, it shows large red/yellow battery, so I'm going to Service Center and trade out the battery for new one, try this to see if it works.
    If you're still stuck I can tell you how I got "unstuck" from this problem:

1) I think the problem occurred because the "fuel gauge" in the battery was not properly calibrated and the battery died before it's fuel gauge told the Pre that it would.

2) Naturally you put it on the charger and saw the big yellow battery on the screen. In my case, I just wanted to go to sleep at that point and deal with it in the morning. I googled and found a Palm procedure (which was "cocka-mainy" and didn't work). Finally I decided to remove the battery (essentally what I thought would be like a "reset"). This worked fine, and the device then showed a 100% battery and the "fuel gauge" was reset to much better reflect "reality".

This link: (How to prolong lithium-based batteries) explains the idea of the "fuel gauge" in today's LiON batteries and how they work. The good news is that you should be fine after doing the reset. Please let us know how this works (or if Sprint properly understood and solved the problem if you went to the store before reading this).

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by RLovelett View Post

My advice caveats here though are that:
    1. The manufacturer told you not to. So your probably outside of warranty situations.
    2. I am not a chemical engineer/chemist so I don't know if the actual chemicals will break down under heating or other mechanical conditions that are unique to the Pre that do not exist in the Centro.
    It could be the temperature limits. I have heard lots of people talk about how hot the Pre gets. Sometimes my Centro gets pretty hot too, though.

I am a chemical engineer, and I used to work for Energizer's rechargeable battery plant in Gainesville, FL. Electrically there should be no problem, but there could be other factors, such as temperature. It would be nice to hear from Palm regarding this issue. I know they say to not do it, but it would be nice if they would tell us why.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast