Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. flushd's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm not sure why but for some reason my battery isn't dying nearly as fast today. Using the phone the same way I was yesterday, I was down to about 60% yesterday at this time. Today, I'm at 94%???? Same location, same usage. Weird.....
  2. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #2  
    You have now entered the Twilight Zone.
  3. #3  
    You have to train the battery.
  4. #4  
    the battery needed to be cycled a few times.. used, and charged.. and peaked and such.. it will get better.. if you got hotmail.. i understand its even better without hotmail..
  5. #5  
    There's also the, "I'm not toying with EVERY feature all the time" symptom :P
  6. wctieman's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #6  
    I've found the phone batteries these days seem to get better the more you use them. There could be better atmospheric conditions today which are allowing/making the cell tower signals stronger. I know under different atmospheric conditions our radio tower will pick up chatter from all over the place. (texas, Mobile, North Carolina, the keys etc)
  7. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'm guessing the Seidio extended battery will be more than a 17% increase in life. I think the weird half charge as it comes from Palm requires you to drain to nothing and charge a few good times to gain full potential.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    There's also the, "I'm not toying with EVERY feature all the time" symptom :P

    hahah.. great point..
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I'm guessing the Seidio extended battery will be more than a 17% increase in life. I think the weird half charge as it comes from Palm requires you to drain to nothing and charge a few good times to gain full potential.
    It's not weird, it's purposeful. Most cell phones will come with ~40% battery life, as this is the best charge to store a Lithium Ion battery for extended periods.

    As for longer battery life, the battery does NOT need cycling. Lithium Ion batteries do not function like that. As a matter of fact, cycling the battery a few times is actually reducing the battery lifespan over the course of the time you have it. Lithium Ion batteries have a fixed length of recharge cycles they can withstand before they lose their capacity.

    To be honest, everyone seems to be experiencing better battery life because they're not constantly playing with it anymore.
  10. #10  
    My friends Pre is 10x better with battery life he says.
  11. zeeke42's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    As for longer battery life, the battery does NOT need cycling. Lithium Ion batteries do not function like that. As a matter of fact, cycling the battery a few times is actually reducing the battery lifespan over the course of the time you have it. Lithium Ion batteries have a fixed length of recharge cycles they can withstand before they lose their capacity.
    It does take a few cycles to break in the battery and calibrate the battery meter, but after that, you're right that it's best to keep it topped off.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke42 View Post
    It does take a few cycles to break in the battery and calibrate the battery meter, but after that, you're right that it's best to keep it topped off.
    No, cycling (conditioning) a battery from zero to full power is something you have to do with a Ni-Cd battery. They have memory. Li-ion and Li-polymer do not. You simply keep it topped off. A Li-polymer battery would have been much more preferable in this phone though. Oh well.

    If folks are notices significant improvements to battery life then I bet it just has everything to do with the wow-factor fading. You're just not screwing with it as much as before.
  13. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    No, cycling (conditioning) a battery from zero to full power is something you have to do with a Ni-Cd battery. They have memory. Li-ion and Li-polymer do not. You simply keep it topped off. A Li-polymer battery would have been much more preferable in this phone though. Oh well.

    If folks are notices significant improvements to battery life then I bet it just has everything to do with the wow-factor fading. You're just not screwing with it as much as before.
    That's what I call forced logic.
  14. #14  
    Yeeup. I do notice once I start using navigation(which I do frequently for my work), my battery does take a hit and it starts to get hot. Hoping an update will fix it, but for now I might just double sticky tape it to a vent and run the AC :P
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
    i understand its even better without hotmail..
    Dude, everything is better without Hotmail.

    -n8
  16. #16  
    QFT
    Dude, everything is better without Hotmail.
  17. SoCal65's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #17  
    Preparing new lithium-ion for use

    Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation
    Full article: Charging lithium-ion batteries



    P.S. More than you want to know about Lithium-Ion Batteries
  18. #18  
    Thank you SoCal, I was going to post the same thing, You just saved me 30seconds of research to do so.
  19. #19  
    I would say mine has gotten better, but I know it is all in my head. It has only been charged three times so far. I am at 83% today after about 7 hours of mild use. Not bad. I got appox. 18 hours out of my battery yesterday before going to sleep and slapping it on the charger at 9% battery left.
  20. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #20  
    it's the alien technology kicking in. earth batteries tend to lose battery life over time, but you see, alien battery technology works the opposite way. the older the battery, the better it gets.

    According to my calculations, after 8 months, 13 days and 5 and a half hours, the pre's battery life will actually increase faster then you can drain the battery, giving you an infinite amount of battery life.

    the downside ofcourse, is that after 3 years, 6 months and 12 days (december 21, 2012) the pre's battery will contain so much energy that it will explode and destroy the earth.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions