Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    the downside ofcourse, is that after 3 years, 6 months and 12 days (december 21, 2012) the pre's battery will contain so much energy that it will explode and destroy the earth.
    Damn it! There's always a catch.
    ........ Please read the Palm Pre Manual and the Palm Pre Solutions Guide.

Check out the official Palm blog.
    I may have found the solution to why my battery was draining while not in use.

I deleted all the instant messenger accounts except for the phone number.

Sprint lady said there is a known issue with AIM and the Pre.

Another worker at the Sprint store told me that if I use WiFi of course it will drain the battery real fast. Gee thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    You have to train the battery.
    Bad battery! BAD! No! You stay charged!

(Rolls up newspaper...)
    I know I was using my Pre as much as I was over the weekend, but the battery did last longer for me. On Sunday, even just letting it sit there at 20%, it died in an hour. Now it doesn't drain nearly as fast (I was even testing battery life yesterday to see how long it would last.)...
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Another worker at the Sprint store told me that if I use WiFi of course it will drain the battery real fast. Gee thanks.
    Maybe its just me, but it seems that my battery is lasting longer with wifi on all day. Could it be that since the phone isn't constantly trying to acquire the EV signal, that it doesn't burn excess power by cycling for better signal reception?
  6. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    My battery is still @ 100% & its been off the charger since 10am & I've sent a few txt's as well as emails. Definitely a pleasant surprise!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    I may have found the solution to why my battery was draining while not in use.

I deleted all the instant messenger accounts except for the phone number.

Sprint lady said there is a known issue with AIM and the Pre.

IM will always eat your battery - constant checks for new messages
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    it's the alien technology kicking in. earth batteries tend to lose battery life over time, but you see, alien battery technology works the opposite way. the older the battery, the better it gets.

According to my calculations, after 8 months, 13 days and 5 and a half hours, the pre's battery life will actually increase faster then you can drain the battery, giving you an infinite amount of battery life.

the downside ofcourse, is that after 3 years, 6 months and 12 days (december 21, 2012) the pre's battery will contain so much energy that it will explode and destroy the earth.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ROTFLAO!!! Can't stop laughing Great post.
    I got rid of Hotmail and and AIM. The world is a better place now.
    Phone fully charged when I left for work around 7am. The phone died around 2pm. No wifi, no blue tooth. One ten minute phone call, and i would say light to medium internet/text message usage. Definately sad. I may be taking the "not worth it" touchtone back to get another charger for work. Or maybe an extended battery? Thoughts?
    Now you tell me...

I couldn't figure out why I went to bed with 50% charge and woke up with a dead phone.

Is there a way to see what processes are taking up cpu cycles?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I called to try and get an airave for free (in a marginal coverage area) and they first wanted me set the Network from Automatic (roaming) to Sprint Only...
    While it didn't help the coverage area very much if at all...my batt life is approx 20% improved. Granted this is only one day and some of that might be what everyone else is seeing with the battery life gettin better after being broken in.
    But I was Browsin/watchin vids for a little over 1 hour straight and batt only when down 6%. Previously that would have sucked up about 40%.
    If you are in a bad coverage area like I am at home, the battery life suffers. Today it went from 100% at 2am to 86% at 11:30am. Wifi off, BT on.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    We've had an Airave for a couple of months now and love it. My previous phone always showed full strength signal in the house. The Pre's signal bounces around but seems to do ok in our house.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Maybe its just me, but it seems that my battery is lasting longer with wifi on all day. Could it be that since the phone isn't constantly trying to acquire the EV signal, that it doesn't burn excess power by cycling for better signal reception?
    the Pre/webOS supposedly handles wifi very well.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richcracker View Post
    the Pre/webOS supposedly handles wifi very well.
    I have to agree with this. Wifi on while at home drains less battery I think. Also, the pre shuts off wifi when you lock it. At least, it appears to because when I unlock it, I see the Wifi icon come back on.

On a side note, if you look at the iPhone specs, it drains a lot less battery when using Wifi. I would guess the Pre is the same way.
    I think it has A LOT to do with IM-and not just AIM.

Yesterday at noon I was down to 75%. Today at noon (same off charger time) i'm at 91%. Just about the same usage (maybe SLIGHTLY more yesterday. I downloaded the good foods app. thats the only difference. IN fact, maybe a bit more web today).

Only difference was i logged out of gtalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I have to agree with this. Wifi on while at home drains less battery I think. Also, the pre shuts off wifi when you lock it. At least, it appears to because when I unlock it, I see the Wifi icon come back on.

On a side note, if you look at the iPhone specs, it drains a lot less battery when using Wifi. I would guess the Pre is the same way.
    Hmm... my experience is the opposite. When I use wifi at home, the battery drains REALLY quick ~1% every 2 seconds. Evdo uses way less on my Pre.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    it's the alien technology kicking in. earth batteries tend to lose battery life over time, but you see, alien battery technology works the opposite way. the older the battery, the better it gets.

According to my calculations, after 8 months, 13 days and 5 and a half hours, the pre's battery life will actually increase faster then you can drain the battery, giving you an infinite amount of battery life.

Sadly, this is one of the more scientific discussions on the mysterious, under-trained, over-cycled, better-atmosphere, worse-tower-of-power, old-wives-tales, battery-life explanations in this thread (except for the Battery University links, of course - but we know those folks are mere earthlings).
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Hmm... my experience is the opposite. When I use wifi at home, the battery drains REALLY quick ~1% every 2 seconds. Evdo uses way less on my Pre.
    Huh? Your phone lasts 3 min minutes on wifi? You, sir, have severe issues with either your wifi or your Pre.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast