1.    #1  
    Will I be lucky to get a flawless Pre? One without reception, screen, keyboard opening/closing crashing, or dead pixel issues?

I am assuming that everyone that got their Pre so far got theirs from the first shipment, being that I had to order mine, I am wondering if this second shipment is still part of the initial production run?

Of all the things, the one thing I was least worried about were major issues like the ones we have been seeing since I figured that both Palm and Sprint have some serious quality control and beta testing going on and won't allow another Storm disaster. But here we are, just a few days after the launch, and problems are getting reported all over the net! The amount of posting here on Precentral has gone through the roof!

Then again, if you figure there's a few thousand people here complaining about issues, and there's word of around 50000 to 75000 pres sold, is the problem just exaggerated because I am browsing a Forum full of knowledable Pre enthusiasts?

I think if my Pre is "perfect", I'll play the lottery tomorrow.
    Last edited by MannyZ28; 06/09/2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm a bit nervous as well. However, I think it will end up working well. I plan on getting one as soon as I can find one.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    since you're aware of the problems couldn't you just check for defects while still at the store and return it on the spot if there are issues?
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Yea, I wish I checked for major defects in store.. I didn't notice that uneven backlighting until I got home. I don't notice it enough though so it's not worth my time. If the phone ever has issues, I have insurance so I'm covered.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess you don't know anyone with a child with "special needs". You might consider choosing your words more carefully when expressing worry about whether your smartphone might have a flaw. You can return it anytime in the next 30 days - unlike a child.
    In retrospect, that was a pretty bad and rather tasteless comparison. I am going to edit that out, it's just after waiting for something that long, it almost feels like it's your child. You can tell I am not a father, since I liken the arrival of a cell phone to the arrival of a new human being.

But yeah, I just tracked the phone and it actually says "out for deliver" already, so it should come in today.

I will definitely check it over thoroughly!

Just got a text from my buddy who works at Sprint they actually still have a couple left....so anyone living in SW Florida, come and get it!
    Idk why people always seem too bring up dead pixels as if the device they're dicussing is the only thing ever to get dead pixels. Name one device with an lcd screen that doesn't get dead pixels.

I mean I hate dead pixels too, got one on my ds lite that's really annoying and had one on the ds before that. Just when people say that they are hearing of a "dead pixel isssue" with a device it annoys me. ALL devices with lcd screens have a dead pixel issue
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Will I be lucky to get a flawless Pre? One without reception, screen, keyboard opening/closing crashing, or dead pixel issues?

I am assuming that everyone that got their Pre so far got theirs from the first shipment, being that I had to order mine, I am wondering if this second shipment is still part of the initial production run?

Of all the things, the one thing I was least worried about were major issues like the ones we have been seeing since I figured that both Palm and Sprint have some serious quality control and beta testing going on and won't allow another Storm disaster. But here we are, just a few days after the launch, and problems are getting reported all over the net! The amount of posting here on Precentral has gone through the roof!

Then again, if you figure there's a few thousand people here complaining about issues, and there's word of around 50000 to 75000 pres sold, is the problem just exaggerated because I am browsing a Forum full of knowledable Pre enthusiasts?

I think if my Pre is "perfect", I'll play the lottery tomorrow.
    Manny,

Go for it, get the phone.. You'll love it, there are some issues, but in my case not that bad.. I'm still getting used to it, but I LOVE IT !!! Does palm need to fix a few of the quirks, yes.. However, you should try it yourself and then go from there, it really is a great phone, and I think Palm will be sending out some fixes soon.. I think we all forget sometimes that this is a new platform and we don't have anything to really go on as far as a baseline.. Just my 2 cents, lol...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Manny at least you're guaranteed one on Wednesday. Was out of town last weekend and can't find one anywhere. I got on a waiting list that is over a hundred deep!
    -J
  9.    #9  
    Actually, I got my Pre a day early! So far so good! The only problem this Pre has so far is the white blotchy spot at the bottom of the screen. They are a bit distracting, but I guess I can live with it since everything else seems to work just fine. Besides, the store had no other Pres in stock anymore, so it's not like I could have exchanged it right away.

I love this phone....had a bit of a problem moving my contacts over at the Sprint store, it only went up to the letter E. I typed in the rest, I figured it will be a good way to weed out unwanted contacts and to get to know the keyboard! I did my homework and weeded out my AIM contacts, so they synched and linked up just fine.

Glad it came today! Lets see how it holds up tomorrow... my car charger is not here yet so this should be a nice challenge for the battery.
    Just remember, people usually don't post that they DON'T have dead pixels. So all the people posting about having dead pixels or bad reception or whatever are just what you are hearing and reading about. Me personally, got two Pre's and smooth sailing. I will say that my girlfriends opened a little bit easier than mine on Saturday. Mine was seeming to want to hang up a little. But from just a few days of use, you can't tell the difference now. Her microUSB cover is still harder to get off though.....hahahahaha.
  11. joelpalm
    Manny, I also will be playing the lottery within the next few weeks. If I lose, I plan to exercise my 30 day return policy and stick with T-Mobile for now. I will put up with a few minor issues if the good outweigh the bad though, which I think they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Actually, I got my Pre a day early! So far so good! The only problem this Pre has so far is the white blotchy spot at the bottom of the screen. They are a bit distracting, but I guess I can live with it since everything else seems to work just fine. Besides, the store had no other Pres in stock anymore, so it's not like I could have exchanged it right away.

I love this phone....had a bit of a problem moving my contacts over at the Sprint store, it only went up to the letter E. I typed in the rest, I figured it will be a good way to weed out unwanted contacts and to get to know the keyboard! I did my homework and weeded out my AIM contacts, so they synched and linked up just fine.

Glad it came today! Lets see how it holds up tomorrow... my car charger is not here yet so this should be a nice challenge for the battery.
    Just don't use GPS and you'll be fine
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Just don't use GPS and you'll be fine
    Funny you say that, because I did use it!

Thankfully the charger came today, I would not have made it through the day without it.

Mine came in a black box, my buddies came in a yellow one, seems like his battery life is better than mine! Not sure if his screen has the white blotches, will have to take a look at that and then figure out whether or not I should exchange this one for the yellow box variety!