Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    when i try to open a pdf file that i got with my email, i get this error message"render document failed".
    anyone else get this?any fix? thank you
    I'm getting the same error for a PDF that I received via email (which contains a flight itinerary...so most likely generated by a server-side software process rather than in an adobe tool)
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  3.    #3  
    does it WORK good for anyone?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    does it WORK good for anyone?
    Some seem to work and others don't. I haven't been able to find a reason, but I get the same error message on about 40% of the 15 PDFs I've loaded on the Pre.
    How about opening PDFs from a webpage? I am finding similar difficulty with this as well; the Pre can't recognize how to open the file.

EDIT: clicking on a .pdf file from a google search for example will return a message "Cannot find an application which can open this file."... the PDF viewer app doesn't have a hook into the web browser? Seriously?
    Memory issue, perhaps?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem trying to open PDF files in google search results.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Same issue here - getting a .PDF that is a summary of our nightly processing at work, and it can't open it. I get the same "render document failed" error. Is there no way to save the attachment to the phone?

Update: There is a way to save the attachment, but apparently it's a bug with .PDFs... from the manual:

For other file types: Open the application menu and tap Save As. (If the attachment
    does not open in an application that has a Save As menu command, you cannot
    save the attachment.)

The PDF viewer does indeed have a "Save As" menu command, but the option does not show up when viewing the email message and opening the application menu. Bummer.
    Last edited by dcigary; 06/12/2009 at 11:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Do we know if there is a fix for viewing PDF's from email (for me hotmail)? I get my faxes to my email so it's a deal breaker for me. I'm sure a fix will come along if not has.. but has there? thanks!

Bill.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backdoc7 View Post
    Do we know if there is a fix for viewing PDF's from email (for me hotmail)? I get my faxes to my email so it's a deal breaker for me. I'm sure a fix will come along if not has.. but has there? thanks!
    I'm able to read some PDFs that are emailed to me. The PDF issue doesn't seem to be related to the fact that it was emailed - just that some PDFs will open and some cause the error. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to narrow down what makes some work and others fail.
    Just a clarification - my mention of email was not meant to imply any correlation with the delivery mechanism. I just mentioned that the PDF that I could not open was sent via email from a server-side process that most likely created the PDF.

i.e., my PDF was not created in Acrobat. Instead, it was created by a server-side business software system...just as I create PDFs on the fly in Java using the open-source iText library. That said, I am able to open other non-Acrobbat-authored PDFs...including those created by the PDF Printer print driver from SourceForge.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    My PDF reader fails a lot too.

Hello, I have been successful reading some PDF's however, when I try to read a PDF created from my company's scheduling application I get the same error. I have attempted to create MS Word documents (within the same company scheduling application) and encountered a similar error when "Doc View" tried to read the MS Word file. I believe some type(s) of font/"picture rendering" are not readable by these viewers...... I am going to email Palm to see if there is a fix in the works, or another viewer coming soon.
    Last edited by Llando; 06/25/2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I'm getting the same error for a PDF that I received via email (which contains a flight itinerary...so most likely generated by a server-side software process rather than in an adobe tool)
    Same here. Our trip sheets are being spit out of FOS. How bout you?
    Same with our FOS - maybe FOS needs update.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Has anyone figured this out? Is there a patch that can be applied? This is some ****ty PDF reading software. Is palm aware of the problem?
    It seems the only consistent "work-around" for this problem is to first, open the problem email attachment (PDF) on a desktop/notebook computer using a PDF reader. Second, save and email the PDF, opening the email attachment with PDF View on your Palm Pre. For some reason this seems to work. Strange but it seems to work!
    I had a problem with most PDF documents not opening. I found that if you use an older version of PDF like 1.3 the documents will not open. Saving with 1.6 opens every time.

The PDF file format has changed several times and continues to evolve, as new versions of Adobe Acrobat were released. There have been nine versions of PDF with corresponding Acrobat releases:[4]

(1993) PDF 1.0 / Acrobat 1.0
    (1994) PDF 1.1 / Acrobat 2.0
    (1996) PDF 1.2 / Acrobat 3.0
    (1999) PDF 1.3 / Acrobat 4.0
    (2001) PDF 1.4 / Acrobat 5.0
    (2003) PDF 1.5 / Acrobat 6.0
    (2005) PDF 1.6 / Acrobat 7.0
    (2006) PDF 1.7 / Acrobat 8.0
    (2008) PDF 1.7, Adobe Extension Level 3 / Acrobat 9.0
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I found if I have password security set on the PDF it will throw up this error. The security settings I use require a password for restricting printing to low resolution and not allowing copying of text or other elements. The compatibility is set up for Acrobat 6 or later.
    Anybody know of a PDF creator other than Acrobat that can create PDF 1.6? PrimoPDF and CutePDF are both 1.3 or 1.4.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast