View Poll Results: Is your battery getting hot ? And do you have Hotmail on your Pre ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • My battery is hot and I have hotmail

8 38.10%
  • My battery is hot and No hotmail

13 61.90%
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I have noticed the hotmail sync is causing heated battery.
    So I changed the sync to 1 hour from 15 minutes.
    It looks like the battery is not getting hot.

Answer to the poll. It will help identify the issue.
    In before the poll!
    How bad is Hotmail? How 'bout this. With Hotmail and nothing else running I hit 133 F (measured on the back of the phone) and battery fully drained in 3 hours.

With no Hotmail and Pandora, Sprint Navigation, Web browser, contacts, email and a few other apps running 102 F and battery down 30% in hour.

With no Hotmail and phone in idle state (on but not used) battery drain 1% in 2 hours and runs about 2 degrees above room temperature.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    How bad is Hotmail? How 'bout this. With Hotmail and nothing else running I hit 133 F (measured on the back of the phone) and battery fully drained in 3 hours.

With no Hotmail and Pandora, Sprint Navigation, Web browser, contacts, email and a few other apps running 102 F and battery down 30% in hour.

With no Hotmail and phone in idle state (on but not used) battery drain 1% in 2 hours and runs about 2 degrees above room temperature.
    I agree the phone is running hot.

But it worked for me with the hotmail sync option.

Di you say you ran the following

Pandora,
    Sprint Navigation,
    Web browser,
    contacts,
    email
    and a few other apps

but not hotmail ?
  5. DDD
    Just tested this myself, deleted Hotmail and temp dropped to almost room temp.
    Also Known as 3_D
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I can tell you that SPRINT NAVIGATION is another culprit.

I almost exploded by TREO 800W when I used for a trip between Vegas and Grand Canyon.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Also I think the issue is related to
    SPRINT signal.
    I noticed my phones all the way back to SAMSUNG SCH3500 had issues with battery when the signal was weak.

Samsung SCH 3500 - cellular phone - CDMA / AMPS - Cell Phones - CNET Archive

I should have changed the poll to
    do you have a strong SPRINT connection and the phone is hot
    or
    do you have a strong sprint connection and the phone is not hot.
    This is very interesting, I have hotmail on mine, and I don't have any heat issues with it, the only time I have heat issues is when I'm surfing on the internet for a long period of time, or downloading music from Amazon, battery life is also not a problem either.. My phone last at least 6-7hrs with my hotmail.. I'm going to test it out today to see, and I'll report back. I've been using it with hotmail from day 1.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    This is very interesting, I have hotmail on mine, and I don't have any heat issues with it, the only time I have heat issues is when I'm surfing on the internet for a long period of time, or downloading music from Amazon, battery life is also not a problem either.. My phone last at least 6-7hrs with my hotmail.. I'm going to test it out today to see, and I'll report back. I've been using it with hotmail from day 1.
    Also make sure you test it with different hotmail sync settings
    5 minutes
    30 minutes
    or 2 hours
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I also noticed some hotmail emails I deleted on my PC showed up in my Pre inbox.
    Also the other way around , i.e. couple of emails that i deleted on my Pre showed on my computer hotmail page
    !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Also I think the issue is related to
    SPRINT signal.
    I noticed my phones all the way back to SAMSUNG SCH3500 had issues with battery when the signal was weak.

Samsung SCH 3500 - cellular phone - CDMA / AMPS - Cell Phones - CNET Archive

I should have changed the poll to
    do you have a strong SPRINT connection and the phone is hot
    or
    do you have a strong sprint connection and the phone is not hot.
    I agree, reception is an issue, I'm not saying other users are not having problems with their hotmail, but I'm not seeing this problem at all. I'll post back throught out the day, I work 12 hrs, so we'll see how things goo.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    5 minutes
    30 minutes
    or 2 hours
    I agree the problem may not be hotmail itself so much as the fact that it is just requesting data alot which when combined with bad reception can really crank out some heat
    I notice its not my battery that gets hot but its just the lower part of my phone, side opposite of the keyboard. Like, I was listening to music and using Sprint Navigation and it really heated up. I'm thinking GPS is more the culprit though because I just opened a bunch of apps and I had no heat issues.
    5 minutes
    30 minutes
    or 2 hours
    I've had it set at 5 mins since I've gotten it..I'll see how things go at work today, my 1st day back.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Palm must of been testing this phone charged because the Pre battery life is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    I agree the problem may not be hotmail itself so much as the fact that it is just requesting data alot which when combined with bad reception can really crank out some heat
    Thats what I think the problem is, the other night I was using Google Maps and my phone was very warm, then I noticed that it had poor reception.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I can stand on my hind legs and say this

"Poor Reception on SPRINT network will heat up any phone"

I have noticed it over a span of ten years. The radio seems to work harder to get sprint signal. As a result the apps work hard or in a wait mode.
    I can stand on my hind legs and say this

"Poor Reception on SPRINT network will heat up any phone"

I have noticed it over a span of ten years. The radio seems to work harder to get sprint signal. As a result the apps work hard or in a wait mode.
    This is very true...

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre