1.    #1  
    As most of you know, if you click on a link to a document in the web browser (either pdf or doc), you get a message that says Can't find an application to open that file. This seems to prevent us from downloading documents to our phone.

However, I've discovered that if you click on a link to a document in an email, it does open the document in the right viewer. I have tested this with a pdf and with a doc file. It did not work for a https location (perhaps because the site is password protected), but it did work for http locations (that didn't need a password--I didn't try password protected http).

One caveat, the document downloads completely in the background before the new card with the viewer is opened. So for a large document, you tap the link and it looks like nothing is happening, but the new card will eventually pop up. The document is then automatically saved--no need to hit save as. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete the document on the phone, but I'm sure you can do it from USB mode.

So if you have documents on a web server that you want access to on your phone, send yourself an email with the links to the documents you want, and you'll be able to get to them.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    okay how can you do that for the following website ?

zshare.net/download/6111988967a8766f
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    okay how can you do that for the following website ?

zshare.net/download/6111988967a8766f
    The link has to be to an actual document, ie it has to end in .pdf or .doc.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    not a zip file ? right ?
  5.    #5  
    not a zip file ? right ?
    Right, I don't think the Pre does zips (yet, hopefully).
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I dunno for sure, but it sounds like this issue might be related to incorrect MIME type settings - either in the Browser or on the webserver. Is there a place to change/assign MIME types in the Pre browser?
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    and where does the file gets stored ?
  9.    #9  
    Yep, that one works, but as I said, only if you email yourself the link. I actually tested it. It's several megabytes, so it takes a while before you see anything happen. But it did open, all 344 pages of it.
  10.    #10  
    and where does the file gets stored ?
    Not sure, I haven't plugged my phone in to check, but the first place I would look is /downloads.

However, when you open the appropriate viewer app again, your document is listed.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    so here is what I understood.

In the browser , highlight the link ( is it possible ) , then copy and paste in a new email to yourself.

Then open the email and the link

right ?

The issue is how do I copy the link from browser ?
  12.    #12  
    so here is what I understood.

In the browser , highlight the link ( is it possible ) , then copy and paste in a new email to yourself.

Then open the email and the link

right ?

The issue is how do I copy the link from browser ?
    Yeah, you can't do that. You have to either type out the link by hand (assuming you can see it, which you often can't) in a new email, or send yourself an email from your computer. Sucks, I know, but hopefully it will be fixed in the near future.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yeah, you can't do that. You have to either type out the link by hand (assuming you can see it, which you often can't) in a new email, or send yourself an email from your computer. Sucks, I know, but hopefully it will be fixed in the near future.
    thanks man, it was least a workaround.