Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Obviously the speed dial (or lack of one) sucks on this phone! I use it as a PHONE first and as a media device second. Since most of my calls are to speed dial numbers the poor speed dial setup is a MAJOR beef - I may return the phone if it's not fixed QUICKLY!
    It seems so obvious - so intuitive that you should be able to open the touchscreen, touch the phone symbol to open the the phone key pad and then hit a speed dial number. Then after hanging up the phone key pad should close.

Simplicity!

Maybe if enough people complain - it will be fixed in the next update - otherwise I'm back to Blackberry!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    You can setup speed dial. Go to the contacts app, tap on a contact of your choice, tap the menu at the top left and set speed dial
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Once thats set up, you can use the virtual keypad for the speedial. No need to open the keyboard.
    You can set one up, and it is a speed dial but it's nowhere near as nice as the favorites that we could assign Treo/Centros.

I'm trying hard to evaluate the Pre based on it's own merits and not compare it to much to previous devices. I'm doing this so that I'm forced to learn how the Pre does things as opposed to saying "Well it used to work like this on my XXX phone and this doesn't work that way so it sucks..." but there seem to be many features I just expect a phone to have the the Pre is lacking so far.
    I think the OP is refering to the favorites set up vs. speed dial.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I don't understand, you want the old favorites launcher? You can set up contacts as links in the launcher if you want.

I just want to say that I don't want the setup you describe, but I'm sure someone can create a 3rd party picture-dial app or something soon.
  7.    #7  
    I'm missing something - the virtual keypad - DOES NOT work on the Pre - with speed dial you have to open the phone and use the querty pad.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I had this same thought, until I learned that you can create a Launcher item for every contact. So, this does closely mimic the original favorites keys!!! Simply go to your contact, then choose menu, and add to Launcher. Voila!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    type first two letters of the name. Faster than ANY speed dial. Same two clicks? Yes.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I'm missing something - the virtual keypad - DOES NOT work on the Pre - with speed dial you have to open the phone and use the querty pad.
    Really? It works for me. Try going to your virtual keypad and holding down on the "1". This should automatically go to your voicemail. I have numbers 2-9 set up as speed dials as well and they work just fine. However, I can't figure out how to set up numbers 10 and up, can anyone help?
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    It works jsut fine here when I assign speed dial. Make sure you hold down the virtual number until it dials.
  12.    #12  
    When assigning speed dials in contacts - no numbers are available - only letters on the querty pad - ie. my home numner is alway "2" on my phones on the Pre it shows Spped Dial "R" - you have to open the querty hit R......
    Hitting 2 on the virtual screen does NOTHING - press 2 and dial and it tells me I have to enter and area code (yes all my numbers have area codes)
    You must be using a TREO
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    You can also add any contact as a launcher item. Go to contacts, choose menu, then "Add to Launcher." That satisfied my need to be able to dial without the keyboard, and works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Then after hanging up the phone key pad should close.

Simplicity!

Maybe if enough people complain - it will be fixed in the next update - otherwise I'm back to Blackberry!
    Why should the phone app close when a call end? What if you want to dial someone else right after hanging up?
    Look at the Qwerty on Your Pre...

E corresponds to 1
    R corresponds to 2
    T corresponds to 3 and etc.

If you have a speed dial set to R then holding down the 2 on the dial pad will dial whatever contact you have set to R.

Simple!
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus View Post
    I just want to say that I don't want the setup you describe, but I'm sure someone can create a 3rd party picture-dial app or something soon.
    I don't care about pictures, I just don't want to have to scroll through or type names to get to my few favorite outgoing numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by slwatts View Post
    I had this same thought, until I learned that you can create a Launcher item for every contact. So, this does closely mimic the original favorites keys!!! Simply go to your contact, then choose menu, and add to Launcher. Voila!
    This will probably work! I'll try it out immediately. Thanks for the tip. This is why I'm trying hard to not compare the Pre to other devices. This may even be better.

One question though, is there a way to organize the apps on the launcher screens? It's already getting pretty cluttered...

Edit: I know about tap-n-hold-drag, I'm looking for a way to make more pages.
  17.    #17  
    READ THE POSTS-I don't want to use the querty and the scroll through contacts - and some of the posts indicate you don't have to use the querty - I have no idea what phone they are using but it's not a PRE!
    READ THE POSTS-I don't want to use the querty and the scroll through contacts - and some of the posts indicate you don't have to use the querty - I have no idea what phone they are using but it's not a PRE!
    Check out slwatts post, I think that will work for me, sounds like we have the same desires so might work for you too...
    Then something is wrong with your Pre. I have my wife's mobile programmed to the number 2. I can dial that two ways - open the phone app, press AND HOLD #2 and it dials her number. Or I can open the kb, press AND HOLD the R/2 key and it will dial her number. If you can't do either of thes on the Pre, then something is wrong with your Pre.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    It is easy as they said. I just open the keyboard, press and hold "H" and it dials home. I press and hold "B" to dial a friend. "M" for my mom etc.... Works like a charm and is easy as pie!!!! I did it the same way as my Treo.

I do wish I could launch applications this way but it is cool...
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast