Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I just spent three hours last night cleaning up all of my contacts imported from gmail and facebook. Is there a way I can save these contacts in case my phone crashes or I lose the data in the future?
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    The Pre profile you set up when you got the phone will back them up daily, or you can use the Backup utility (on the 3rd launcher page by default) to manually "Back up now".

If you need to replace the phone, when you log into the profile it will restore them. Worked great for me.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Great, thanks!
    Unfortunately, the Palm Profile does NOT save the way you link together contacts or anything like that. That was one of my bigger disappointments when I did a restore... that and the fact that not all preferences were saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    If you need to replace the phone, when you log into the profile it will restore them. Worked great for me.
    Are you sure it restored it the same exact way you had before? How about contact picture IDs?

As mentioned above, the backup does not backup every single thing.
    read on a sprint blog that the profile will only back up contacts entered into the phone and not linked to google etc
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I just fixed my contact list in gmail. if my phone dies I just need to add the gmail account again and everyone will be there. It was so much simpler to add anyone I wanted to talk with on my phone to one account (gmail in this case) than use the cloud thingy
    Quote Originally Posted by wctieman View Post
    I just fixed my contact list in gmail. if my phone dies I just need to add the gmail account again and everyone will be there. It was so much simpler to add anyone I wanted to talk with on my phone to one account (gmail in this case) than use the cloud thingy
    Well, my Google account is perfect, but it doesn't automatically link the entered AIM contacts with what AIM pulls down. In addition, my parents get linked together since they both have the same home number but different cell numbers, I'd rather they were separate, and a couple friends don't automatically get their Facebook and Google Contact linked (like 3 out of however many I have.)

It's not a huge deal to have to relink everything, it's just that when I see "Backup" I expect every sort of setting like that to be backed up, not just a few settings.
    I ask again:

Will the Pre's backup function save the contact picture ID? I'm about to undertake the task of adding these pictures to most of my contacts and it woud royally suck to find out that the backup option does not backup these pictures.

For the record, I've asked both Palm and Sprint and both could not answer me (I know, amazing isn't it?). One suggested that I backup my pictures over USB -that is not a solution!

Also, I believe once you associate a picture to a contact, the Pre somehow copies that picture (or a lower resolution version of it) somewhere in its memory, since I am able to delete the original picture used to associate a contact with.

Any help?? I didn't want to create a new thread on this, so hopefully someone can help.
    I have had NO LUCK in saving the contacts to my laptop gmail account.....it will not sync them no matter how I try. I can do appointments and dates buts no contacts......any advice....Thanks