1.    #1  
    Obviously the speed dial (or lack of one) sucks on this phone! I use it as a PHONE first and as a media device second. Since most of my calls are to speed dial numbers the poor speed dial setup is a MAJOR beef - I may return the phone if it's not fixed QUICKLY!
    It seems so obvious - so intuitive that you should be able to open the touchscreen, touch the phone symbol to open the the phone key pad and then hit a speed dial number. Then after hanging up the phone key pad should close.

Simplicity!

Maybe if enough people complain - it will be fixed in the next update - otherwise I'm back to Blackberry!
    Isn't this how it works currently?

I don't make use of speed dial, but I thought when you assigned a speed dial to a key, all you had to do was hold the key down.

Edit: if you were implying that there is no speed dial functionality, you were mistaken. Go into a contact from the Contacts app, hit the Contacts menu in the upper left, and hit Set Speed Dial. It will offer you to choose one of the numbers for a listed contact.
  3.    #3  
    Sorry I was in Palm Pre when I posted - don't know how this ended up in Treo I'll try and move.
  4.    #4  
    Strange - I did post in Pre but the email notification looks like I posted in Treo.

Anyway the only way to use speed dial is using the querty pad. You have to open the phone, hit the speed dial key on the querty pad (which I certainly can't see easily, especially in the car) then the touch screen opens and you choose the contact from a list. When done my touch screen key pad remain open so I can't do another speed dial.

Why is the querty involved?
    You can speed dial from the screen dial pad. I have a speed dial number assigned to 2 (or R) and on when I bring the dialer up on screen I only have to hold down the 2 for a few seconds to dial the number. No keyboard opening involved.
    You are definitely mistaken!

My speed dial works just like DigitalNights. Hold down the number from the Phone screens and it dials that contact after 2 seconds.

You need to assign your most frequent speed dials to 2-9 and everyone else will need to be dialed by letter from the Qwerty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    Edit: if you were implying that there is no speed dial functionality, you were mistaken. Go into a contact from the Contacts app, hit the Contacts menu in the upper left, and hit Set Speed Dial. It will offer you to choose one of the numbers for a listed contact.
    Not only that, but you don't have to even open the phone app to use this feature. I have "2/R" programmed for my wife's number. Using universal search, pressing this button finds her contact as a phone number, I press it, and she gets dialed.

This is another example of someone trying to force a new square peg into an old round hole.

This is a new device folks. Learn what it does, instead of trying to make it do what you're familiar with!
    Also can't you set a contact as an icon in the launcher?
    I ran into something yesterday that has since eluded me. I was in the middle of several calls and at one point my Pre popped up a message saying I could use a shortcut to someone. The shortcut was 788, but I cannot find where this is valid. Interestingly, 788 happens to spell "Stu" which was the first name of the contact I was dialing or SMS'ing.

I can't find any reference to where this came from or where it could be used since then and I was in to much of a hurry to investigate at the time.
    i have a problem with them not allowing you to add symbols at the end of your numbers. Like the , key. I need them so i don't have too punch in a extra digits when i want to call someone on an extension.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I am confused I have setup speed dail and can do it from the phone touch pad. I have also set contacts on the launcher with no problem. Take a second try if you still can't I post instruction here

MTW
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to set up the "dial extra digits" feature that was available on the Treo. For example, when I speed dial my work voicemail, there was an "Extra Digits" button that I could press once the connection was made. This button would then dial my mailbox number, pause, then dial my passcode automatically so I didn't have to mess with the keypad. Is this feature available on the Pre?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    Does anyone know how to set up the "dial extra digits" feature that was available on the Treo. For example, when I speed dial my work voicemail, there was an "Extra Digits" button that I could press once the connection was made. This button would then dial my mailbox number, pause, then dial my passcode automatically so I didn't have to mess with the keypad. Is this feature available on the Pre?
    Yes. Just use the same commands in the phone number string. The Pre will actually display and prompt you to press "dial" in a little band above the keypad. I have a VM that I have to enter the number, and a passcode and it works great. But you do have to press to dial on a "p" pause command unlike most phones that treat it as a 3 second (or whatever it is) pause. But this works much better in my case now.