1.    #1  
    I have been lurking this forum even before the release? And am puzzled. Is the pre a glorified (or lack there of) smartphone or a true PDA, (IE: Like the Treo 600) As fancy as the WebOS is hyped to be there seem to be TONS of bugs and serious limitations.

I have a treo pro, which don't get me wrong. Its crap.... I would have an Iphone if it were not for AT&T, they have the most expensive limited plans you can get. I was in the hopes that the Pre would be a good replacement for an Iphone but from what I read it will never be.

I need office integration, and lots and lots of apps. Why? Simple, no one makes a pda / smartphone that has all of the features I want, thus I have to subsidize it with third party applications. Hence the reason I ditched the instinct for the Pro. just my 2 cents.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97 View Post
    I have been lurking this forum even before the release? And am puzzled. Is the pre a glorified (or lack there of) smartphone or a true PDA, .
    To me a PDA is a standalone device. This can also have internet with Wi-Fi.
    A Smartphone has a phone and internet as well as PDA functionality.
    All smart phones are PDA's but not all PDA's are smart phones.

The Pre has some bugs but nothing that won’t be worked out I am sure. The iPhone had many bugs and limitations on its release.

I personally do not think the Pre is as buggy as others have claimed. It has some but overall for me so far it has been a great purchase! Maybe I just got lucky. I also think there is nothing feature wise that cannot, and won’t be, fixed with a 3rd party application.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    If you need office integration, then WM and Palm are the only ones that really do it. I have looked and because the applications are not there that I need, going with the Pre or an iPhone would not make sense. The Pre is just too "new" for me to go with.
  4.    #4  
    In theory, you should be able to run "classic" palm apps on the PRE. someone should test this.

I just put hands on a pre today, and its nice, some physical issues like the sharp edges. But I will hold off on changing over to a pre when.

Outlook calendar can be synced.
    Seido makes the spring clip holster for the pre (DONE)
    and a GOOD geocaching application is developed.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    To me a PDA is a standalone device. This can also have internet with Wi-Fi.
    A Smartphone has a phone and internet as well as PDA functionality.
    All smart phones are PDA's but not all PDA's are smart phones.
    I'd say "All smartphones should be PDAs." Unfortunately, not all of them are very good PDAs. I include both the iPhone and the Pre, as it sits today, in that category.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The Pre is a PDA and a phone, and a smart phone. It's decent at its release as any of the three. However, it's been out for a grand total of 4 days now, and two of them were holidays. The features you're looking for (office apps, for instance) will be there (trust me, DataViz didn't make a reader because they had programmers sitting around with nothing to do); but you have to give the device time.

If you don't want to step out on faith, that's understandable. But it's foolish to compare it to devices that have had years on the market, especially devices (WinMo) that have had an "inside track" to the office apps, and still doesn't have it right!
  7.    #7  
    Thats true, but i was burnt on the Instinct as the "iphone killer" and it turned out to be the dumbest smartphone I have ever had. It was just canned garbage.

I like the look and feel of the PRE, I am just one of those burger king guys. I have to have it my way. I really wish engineers would look to the "people" for ideas, not just there development teams. We could have so much more variety. Plus I wish the US would quit "Branding" phones. All cell phone manufactures should be "REQUIRED" to create their phones for ALL carriers. That way you could get the phone you want and the carrier you want at the price you want.. (rant off.) sorry ill step off my soap box now.