Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    EDIT based on observations from others:

What works
    Sprint Navigation
    Google Maps
    WHERE! (just found out that it takes about 10 minutes)

What doesn't work
    Citysearch
    Craigslist

If it were just one app then I would blame the app, but since it is two I'm thinking the location services are messed up on my phone.

But then again, Google Maps works. But this could be because Google Maps uses assisted GPS with cell phone towers.

Am I the only one having htis problem? Anyone else out there with problems on these two apps?

I would take a screenshot of the CitySearch, but pressing the three keys just brings up a mismash of symbols and such.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Last edited by Sprockethead; 06/09/2009 at 08:12 AM.
    Do you have GPS off or on? While GoogleMaps can use eGPS, it's accuracy is greatly diminished with it to the point of not being suitable for a navigation aid. Perhaps there is a degree of accuracy issue with the other apps...or they can't use eGPS at all. I used the location feature of the Craig's list app and it worked fine.
    Craigs list worked fine for me. It just found me, no questions asked. Also try using sprint navigation, the GPS has always been dead on for me. I think 'where' was just having issues for awhile.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have it on I should have mentioned that in the first post. Also should have mentioned that Craigslist is another of those apps that doesn't find me. If I use "my location" then it says that I am in California somewhere, when I live on the East Coast.

Whats going on with that? So your craigslist app knows where you are off the bat with no problems?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnfriel View Post
    Craigs list worked fine for me. It just found me, no questions asked. Also try using sprint navigation, the GPS has always been dead on for me. I think 'where' was just having issues for awhile.
    Thanks, another thing I should have mentioned. Sprint Navigation works fine for me.
    ya I have the same problem with the craigslist app, but I only have the problem with the craigslist app
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    Whats going on with that? So your craigslist app knows where you are off the bat with no problems?
    Yes. What are your settings under the "Location Services" menu? I've got them all set to off and apps have to ask me to use them. I can't recall if I had them off when I used Craig's list, however.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Yes. What are your settings under the "Location Services" menu? I've got them all set to off and apps have to ask me to use them. I can't recall if I had them off when I used Craig's list, however.
    I have everything set to "On" except "Geotag Photos." So Auto Locate is on and Use GPS is on.
    This has popped up in other threads - people had problems with Where too. All of my geolocation apps have worked fine and have found me rather quickly. I have all of my settings off by default and then allow the program to ask permission when it is launched (that way I don't need to remember to turn it off later). Might just be a satellite problem in your area.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Citysearch, Craigslist, and WHERE don't find me either. Everything else works great. For Craigslist I don't find it to be a huge issue, for Citysearch and WHERE it makes them unusable.
  11.    #11  
    Well at least I know it is not a defective unit. Thanks.
    Open the phone app and dial ##GPS## (use the number equivalents)

Do you get coordinates?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Under GPS Information, mine has "Get Fix" - no coordinates. When I try to run it, it just spins and nothing happens. Is this right?
    Quote Originally Posted by phattire View Post
    Under GPS Information, mine has "Get Fix" - no coordinates. When I try to run it, it just spins and nothing happens. Is this right?
    Do you have an EV signal? Don't know if its required, but other Apps don't function for me when the Signal is only 1X, or anything less than EV.
    An EVDO/RTT (rev a or not) is not required to get a gps fix.

Take it in to a sprint store if you have the GPS enabled, but can not get a fix after opening the phone application and typing ##GPS#.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Yeah, Ev and 3 to 5 bars. Tried at different places the past few days and it does the same thing. Even tried with Wi-Fi, but no luck.

I'll take it into Sprint tonight to see what they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    ... Might just be a satellite problem in your area.
    The pre doesn't use satellites for gps. The Pre uses cell towers to calculate position. To my knowledge this is how all cell phone GPSs work.
    Yup. I have the same issues, except non of my applications work for me. I'm returning this phone on Friday. Going back to at&t
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    The pre doesn't use satellites for gps. The Pre uses cell towers to calculate position. To my knowledge this is how all cell phone GPSs work.
    That is entirely incorrect. The Pre has a few ways of locating you, the first is that way, yes. It can use cell towers to give you a general position. It can also use your Wifi connection to give a general position.

But the third way is an actual satellite GPS fix. It's definitely an assisted GPS for a faster fix- this means that it downloads parts of the satellite data over the internet. (The ephemeris, which doesn't change very often, and requires a clear signal from at least 3 satellites so it can often take a while with a standard GPS receiver.) Then, it gets the rest of the information from the satellites as any GPS receiver would.

I'm still not sure whether the GPS can work as a standalone receiver, which would mean without using the assistance, but to say that it always calculates the position from cellphone towers is false.

Anyway, WHERE's update means it finally finds my position now.
    I had this problem to. A reset fixed it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast