1.    #1  
    So I've been disconnecting and reconnecting my Pre for various USB charging and Mass Drive duties but I finally got a new message when hastily plugging in the cord that I found interesting.

"Some data was damaged, but has been recovered. Always eject your phone from your desktop computer before disconnecting"

I have no idea what files would have been damaged or recovered for that matter but good to know Synergy's got my back!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not necessarily Synergy, as it is the phone simply scanning for errors and fixing them, but like a computer does when something goes wrong.
    This error is actually common to any USB device attached to your PC and can be avoided. To prevent this error, when you are done transferring files, etc, wait maybe 20 seconds (to allow Windows a needed write delay) and choose to Eject your phone:

* In, Media Sync mode, in iTunes you right-click your ipod and select Eject
    * In USB Drive mode, in Windows Explorer, right-click the drive letter (such as G and select Eject

Have fun syncing!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    It's not necessarily Synergy, as it is the phone simply scanning for errors and fixing them, but like a computer does when something goes wrong.
    Do any other smartphones do this? I'm used to the Treo which would crash if the wind blew the wrong direction so this just seems magical to me
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyATL View Post
    This error is actually common to any USB device attached to your PC and can be avoided. To prevent this error, when you are done transferring files, etc, wait maybe 20 seconds (to allow Windows a needed write delay) and choose to Eject your phone:

* In, Media Sync mode, in iTunes you right-click your ipod and select Eject
    * In USB Drive mode, in Windows Explorer, right-click the drive letter (such as G and select Eject

Have fun syncing!
    In recent versions of Windows (Probably starting with Vista), Windows automatically disables delayed writes and write caching for USB devices. You have to manually enable it.

With those disabled, the only way you can cause corruption is by unplugging it while a write operation is being performed.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I get this sort of thing with any device in Mac OS except my iPod Touch. That's only because iTunes will halt the session to the device while it's idle, but as long as it's still listed on the bus it picks it up again so you don't see the volume remove.

Mac OS gets extremely pissed off at you for not ejecting any volumes though before removing it. It whines to you about data integrity, etc, basically tells you that you're a horrible person. I guess this is just the Pre's version of that.
    caseyATL got it right - Windows users: if you get the "Some data was damaged message..." do not stop from your system tray icon. Eject from My Computer - right click your palm pre drive letter - select eject. Your pre will instantly go from usb drive mode to charging mode. I then stopped from the system tray and pulled the plug with no error, but I'm not sure if that step is necessary.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    If you look, the Pre is actually running **** when this happens. If it's able to recover anything, you'll find them in the root of the USB drive.
    You don't have to wait 20 seconds before choosing eject. The whole point of eject or safely remove hardware is so Windows can finish what it's doing and then tell you when it's safe to remove it. If it needs more than a few seconds it will tell you.
    I sometimes get this message even after ejecting safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by posguy99 View Post
    If you look, the Pre is actually running **** when this happens. If it's able to recover anything, you'll find them in the root of the USB drive.
    I love how this forum censors out the name of the linux FileSystem ChecK.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I didn't even catch that, or I would have spelled it out myself. Thanks. ^_^