Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Pre has been succesful enough to give Palm some breathing room but it cannot rest. Palm in my eyes needs to do the following

1) Cut the number of products it makes. Way too many for a comapny with only 1000 employees.

Winmo
    Treo 500
    Treo 500v
    Treo 750
    Treo 750v
    Treo Pro

Palm OS
    Treo 680
    Centro

Web/os
    Pre

Palm OS Garnet 5.4
    Z22
    T/X
    Tungsten E2

2) Decide on 2 platforms one of which is the Web/OS. You cannot effectively develop for a number of platforms.

3) Update the Pre O/s - there is a mounting buglist.

4) Release the Web/os SDK within a month.

5) Develop a backend service platform. Software and services will be a key differentiator in the new Smartphones.

6) Release a GSM version of the Pre with 16gb within 3 months.

7) Release a 16gb version of the Pre within 3 months on Sprint.

8) Concentrate all efforts on the Pre.

Palm need to focus on the Pre. Which of the 4 OS that Palm supports should it keep?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    A lot of this is already what's happened. The problem is that up until Pre development really got going in full force Palm was doing exactly what you said. Rubenstein axed a lot of stuff that was in the works but is doing the right thing by supporting their old products.

Old Palm OS is no longer really being worked on except for the classic emulator support. It's all WebOS from here on out, and it's all Pre and Eos.
  3.    #3  
    Should Palm drop development of Winmo, Palm Os and Garnet and concentrate exclusively on the Pre.

Motorola made the error of devloping smartphones on Winmo, UIQ, MotoMagx, Linux, Android and it's no wonder it failed miserably. It now will concentrate on Android and Winmo but I feel that will put them up against HTC, Samsun, LG who can produce far better Winmo and Android devices than Motorola ever could.

Once you decide on developing for an O/s which you don't own or control then you will eventually become a box shifter like the Dells' of this world with the value shifting from the PC makers to MS and Intel.
    I thought for the most part the WinMo development is outsourced to HTC?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post

Love the way you think !!!!!
    The number of current products has little impact on Palm's staff. The manufacturing of all these devices are outsourced to Asian companies, Palm provides little support and pretty much no upgrades. They amount to a revenue stream at this point, with little cost beyond manufacturing. It might well be foolish to invest in NEW P-OS phones, but continuing production of the current ones adds to Palm's bottom line as long as sales remain high enough.

Agree with your other points.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  7.    #7  
    @meyerweb

I don't know the ins and outs of Palm production re- Winmo devices but I will look into their financial statements and records.

I am not a Palm Shill but the Web/os has excited me more than the Iphone OS, Symbian O/s, Android etc..

The real hardware advances in screen technology and cameras are being championed by Samsung.

In the CPU arena - the best chipset designs are based on ARM - the area where it is more difficult to assess is their power envelope.

In the GPU market - well this is still up for grabs but if Nvidia Tegra platform Nvidia Tegra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia could be the winner. I know its a SOC but from what I have seen its very powerful.

Adding more and more gizmos into the device is again a Samsung strong point - just check the Omnia HD spec list.

However the winner in this market will be the one who has the best combination of Hardware, Software and Services.

Iphone leads in software - applications
    Samsung leads in Hardware - they have the best specced devices
    Services - BBerry leads in email but this is still an open market
    As far as addressing a bug list for PalmOS, Palm doesn't own the OS, so any development there can be sent to the Owner of the OS, Access.

Why fix what they don't own. It's Access' responsibility to handle Garnet.
  9.    #9  
    Palm OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like Palm will be dropping Garnet.

In 2009, the main licensee of Palm OS, Palm, Inc., informed that they will switch from Palm OS to webOS for forthcoming devices.

So Palm OS will be discontinued - so that would leave Winmo and Web/Os
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

In 2009, the main licensee of Palm OS, Palm, Inc., informed that they will switch from Palm OS to webOS for forthcoming devices.

Winmo is also something Palm's entrenched in from past management. They don't develop it, they don't develop for it, and I'm assuming they are going to drop it when the Palm Pro is no longer relevant.

It's like the other guy said, it adds to their bottom line right now. If you have something that still is selling, works for people, keep making and supporting it. Just don't engineer for it, I don't see how supporting your past products makes you unwise.

In fact, I'd think it makes you extremely wise.

Wouldn't be surprised if they leave the door open for Android. It is based on the same base code and the hardware is most likely compatible. In fact, I expect we'll see some hacked Pre's running Android before long.

Also, Access has developed a Garnet simulator that is running fine on Nokia n-series Internet Tablets. It doesn't seem to have the compatibility issues that the one available for the Pre now does.
    I generally agree except I don't think 16GB versions are all that important. Video, music enthusiasts are going iPhone anyway. Let them go. Concentrate on functionality, not storage. Palm already won't be able to compete on price (Apple has may other businesses and can afford this).
  13.    #13  
    Palm should not develop for Android because it will then have little control over how the o/s will develop.

Also Android is written to work on a number of CPU so it will need to be optimised to gain some serious advantage over the other Android devices.

In a world of Adnroid or Winmo devices how do you set yourself apart?

In the end I bet you will need to do significant optimising and skinning of the Android o/s just to make it run efficiently and make it look different enough from your competitors before you even start considering the hardware challenge.

Palm will never beat Samsung, LG or HTC in packing in more hardware into an Andoird phone. Palm would be nuts to develop an Android handset.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I generally agree except I don't think 16GB versions are all that important. Video, music enthusiasts are going iPhone anyway. Let them go. Concentrate on functionality, not storage. Palm already won't be able to compete on price (Apple has may other businesses and can afford this).
    Honestly I'd love to go iPhone. I can't, since AT&T doesn't cover my area. Firstly Apple was retarded in their GSM-only stance, and going with AT&T exclusively was also an example of mental retardation.

That said, audio/video enthusiasts will be well served by the Pre.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardoreal View Post
    Winmo is also something Palm's entrenched in from past management. They don't develop it, they don't develop for it, and I'm assuming they are going to drop it when the Palm Pro is no longer relevant.

It's like the other guy said, it adds to their bottom line right now. If you have something that still is selling, works for people, keep making and supporting it. Just don't engineer for it, I don't see how supporting your past products makes you unwise.

In fact, I'd think it makes you extremely wise.
    Spoken like an experienced manager in the technology industry. I'm in the industry as well, and if you're able to deliver a "no-touch" or "light-touch" design (i.e. one that requires little or no in-house engineering) while demonstrating a reasonable IRR (internal rate of return), it's a no-brainer. It's just like Dell's business model or GM's badge engineering.

Corporate IT shops have spoken, and they want Windows Mobile or BlackBerry. iPhone crept in through the back-door in employees' pockets, just like PalmOS did years ago. However, few IT managers are going to procure thousands of iPhones or Palm Pre phones today just because some early adopters thought the devices are cool.

The exception here is if the CEO gets one and tells his CIO to get one for everyone in the sales organization.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    Spoken like an experienced manager in the technology industry. I'm in the industry as well, and if you're able to deliver a "no-touch" or "light-touch" design (i.e. one that requires little or no in-house engineering) while demonstrating a reasonable IRR (internal rate of return), it's a no-brainer. It's just like Dell's business model or GM's badge engineering.

Corporate IT shops have spoken, and they want Windows Mobile or BlackBerry. iPhone crept in through the back-door in employees' pockets, just like PalmOS did years ago. However, few IT managers are going to procure thousands of iPhones or Palm Pre phones today just because some early adopters thought the devices are cool.

The exception here is if the CEO gets one and tells his CIO to get one for everyone in the sales organization.
    I don't work for a huge company, but probably a 2b/year outfit. We have several power plants (small fry mostly with one huge one) and we manage transmission lines. It's probably us, and about 4 other companies that keep Motorola alive. The company gets all Motorola Q9's, and if we were to switch to the Pre, it would put a rather significant supply strain on Palm.

You're absolutely right that companies have spoken. Winmo or Blackberry. They have maintenance contracts and warranties in place, and they want no hassle of dealing with supporting more than one or two types of phones. Only one of the engineering superintendents got away with using a Storm, but he had to fork out for it, and he had to bribe the corporate IT head to let him have exchange on it.

I know the routine, because I had to really pull strings to get exchange sanctioned on my Pre
  17.    #17  
    On that point imagine having to install ITunes on all your PC's so that the Iphone could be updated with the new O/s which would then require you to re-install all the apps so that the Iphone could finally get its missing cut n paste functionality.

Business users want a device that requires as little updates and maintencance possible. The Iphone is not that.
    If a 16GB Pre ever came out on Sprint within 3 months, I'd be sooo ticked. How about a year so the Premier customers get a free upgrade?
    The Palm website lists only three devices,

1) The WebOS Pre.

2) The WM Pro which was developed and manufactured for them by HTC. They just contributed the name and physical design (e.g. keyboard and hard button layout is mostly classic WM Treo.

3) The PalmOS Centro. This is the last PalmOS device and Palm will probably continue to sell it while the carriers want to provide it to their customers as a cheap low end smartphone.

All new development at Palm will be WebOS but I could see versions of the Treo Pro being around for a while.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    1) Cut the number of products it makes. Way too many for a comapny with only 1000 employees.
    It appears they're cutting it to the Pre, Pro, and Centro.

2) Decide on 2 platforms one of which is the Web/OS. You cannot effectively develop for a number of platforms.
    I believe they've stated the Centro is the final POS thing they'll make. Which likely means WebOS and WinMo, with I imagine WebOS being the bulk of it.

3) Update the Pre O/s - there is a mounting buglist.
    This needs to be a continual thing.

4) Release the Web/os SDK within a month.
    I think 2 could be okay, but 1 would be optimum. Longer than 3 is bad.

5) Develop a backend service platform. Software and services will be a key differentiator in the new Smartphones.
    Don't have good experience with this so no clue.

Not going to happen, unless you're talking about overseas. You're probably not going to be seeing a GSM Pre sold in the U.S. for at least 6 months.

7) Release a 16gb version of the Pre within 3 months on Sprint.
    They would be INCREDIBLY foolish to do this. The Pre is selling hot right now and will likely continue for a bit of time. The EARLIEST they should be selling a 16GB Pre is by Christmas, and if they can hold it off till next summer that'd be even better.

What you want is not necessarily what's best for Palm. They'd start hearing loud complaints from those that bought in early on if a quarter of a year later there's a bigger better version out. They'd also be stuck come Christmas or more likely next year when its time to try and capitalize by re-invigorating people with a new launch as one of the big things they could do currently is bump the memory.

They should do this no sooner than 6 months, and probably best done more like 10 to 12 months.

8) Concentrate all efforts on the Pre.
    Also, very dumb for them to do most likely. This should be "Concentrate on WebOS".

Getting the Eos or some device like it out on AT&T and/or Verizon and even on Sprint by the Christmas rush would be smart as it would allow them to spread their presense to multiple networks while still keeping the Pre as the "Flagship" of their device line.

If they focus on the WebOS instead of focusing on the Pre it will fix many of the issues the Pre is having while at the same time allowing them to expand their market place by also branching into other hardware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast