Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I disagree how would users feel that the shortcomings in Pre are not resolved and Palm is bringing out a new device like the EOS. By christmas through better manufacturing and improved quality control they can cut costs and deliver a Pre GSM on other networks. Aslo they can iron out issues with the Pre.

As for the 16GB Pre - perhaps they can leave that till Christmas but they should consider bringing it out early and offering existing 8gb Pre owners a $100 cheque.

Palm should continue develoing the Web/os but their efforts need to be on the Pre. Why spread yourself thin by diverting valuable resources to EOS development which is a lower margin model. Keep the limelight on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    I disagree how would users feel that the shortcomings in Pre are not resolved and Palm is bringing out a new device like the EOS. By christmas through better manufacturing and improved quality control they can cut costs and deliver a Pre GSM on other networks. Aslo they can iron out issues with the Pre.
    Because the vast majority of the "shortcomings" in the Pre are all WebOS based. The only short comings that are Pre specific are:

1. Lack of expandable memory, which I dare say is a design feature they do intentionally so aren't going to "fix"
    2. Smallish keyboard, but that's not going to change
    3. Battery, but again this may be more of an OS issue with optimizing it for efficiency.

Beyond that, there's defects in the device that can be ironed out like the washed out screen. But, for the most part, all the issues with the Pre are with the WebOS.

The focus needs to be on the WebOS, not on just the Pre. You're also assuming that they can actually launch the Pre on other networks in 6 months which contractually they may not be able to.

As for the 16GB Pre - perhaps they can leave that till Christmas but they should consider bringing it out early and offering existing 8gb Pre owners a $100 cheque.
    Which most likely would be a horrible business decision for a company still trying to get on its feet. Earlier than Christmas would just be idiotic for them from a business standpoint.

Palm should continue develoing the Web/os but their efforts need to be on the Pre. Why spread yourself thin by diverting valuable resources to EOS development which is a lower margin model. Keep the limelight on the Pre.
    Because developing Eos doesn't mean the Pre doesn't keep the spotlight. There's not a lot more you can do with the Pre hardware wise that needs leagues of engineers assigned to it. A few things added here or there in regards to maybe full VGA, updated RAM, a better camera, etc. But for the most part, its pretty much as it is.

The big part of what needs to be advanced for the Pre is WebOS, and that can be pushed ahead as easily with the Eos as it can be just with the Pre, because ultimately your software engineers aren't the ones designing your phone typically.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    And don't get me wrong, I would LOVE a 16gig Pre, but I'm trying to come at this from a business stand point and not a "i want i want i want" personal stand point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And don't get me wrong, I would LOVE a 16gig Pre, but I'm trying to come at this from a business stand point and not a "i want i want i want" personal stand point.
    16GB is yesterday's news. What I want to see is a 32GB Pre.
  5.    #25  
    If you scan the websites and articles the big numbers being touted are Pre 8gb v Iphone 16gb. It sticks in peoples minds - Apple does simple really well and sells it.

I'm in the UK so this is not relevant 16gb v 8gb as the Palm is not over here. But let me say one thing if Palm don't ship it in time when they do it will look dated if they think they can ship around christmas.

In the rest of the world the Palm is not up only against the Iphone its got Nokia devices as well to beat and they have been selling their Nokia 5800 free on 18 month contracts at 20 pcm with about 400 mins and 500 text.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12