Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Say what you want, but the iPhone is clearly the phone champion right now. Sure there are other features better on other phones, but remove your bias and technical points, it's the best. It's what the general public wants, just deal with it.

However, when reading the press releases today about the new iPhone, something awesome about the Pre occurred to me that helped me realize the potential it has to become the best. The Pre has two things going for it that the iPhone can't avoid:

1) It's not made my Apple
    2) It's on Sprint, not At&t

Today, I knew that no matter what I heard, I knew that I would still have to use iTunes, which I hate, and that the plan was going to be ridiculous along with a lack of 3g Sling Player. The reality is, both of those companies have certain rules that they will never break. Rules that make them exclusive in ways that will haunt them later on. Rules that alienate certain customers.

What does the Pre have, No Rules and a great phone to copy while exploiting it's flaws. The reality is, the phone just came out and we already had an update. Sprint and Palm are desperate and will do anything to make this phone their flagship. It's built in a way where anyone can contribute to making the phone better. And, it's plan is priced better than any other carrier.

End result, the Pre has the opportunity to be the best phone out there because it has no limits or ceiling. Hell, they can even develop a new battery and let us install it if they want. The only thing it can't do is expand it's memory. But who is to say they won't have home-sync where you can just stream instantly from your home computer. The possibilities are endless.

I could not be more excited about it's future...
    I agree with you, I love my Pre and the Sprint service with it and would not give it up, but its true, the iPhone is what most people want IMO. And the Pre has so much potential to become an even greater phone, and the WEBOS platform has great potential as well. Give it time, these two phonese will be running head to head for a long while to come
    "These Things We Do, That Others May Live"
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil1528 View Post
    Say what you want, but the iPhone is clearly the phone champion right now. Sure there are other features better on other phones, but remove your bias and technical points, it's the best. It's what the general public wants, just deal with it.

Remove the technical points? How can I do that. A smartphone is all about its features. If it doesn't have the features I need to manage my day, it's not the best, no matter how cool it might be, or how many people buy it. And the iPhone does NOT do what I need it to do as well as my current smartphone.

If there's any bias here, I think it's yours. You seem so enamored of the iPhone you overlook or make excuses for its limitations.

As far as potential, yes, the Pre has lots of potential. Unfortunately, at the moment, it has even more limitations than the iPhone. Whether it lives up to it's potential is in the hands of a company which has not done a very good job at enhancing it's platform for a very long time. In my mind, there's a big question as to whether they'll ever address all the things the Pre is missing (compared to the old P-OS, for example).

I certainly hope so. We need another competitor to Apple, RIM and MS, and I'd love a more modern OS than Garnet. But right now the antique Garnet offers more capabilities for business, task or calendar centric users than does the Pre or the iPhone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.